Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing price on supermarket goods

• 04-02-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I work for a market leading supermarket and a month ago or so a couple came to my checkout and had 140 euros worth of goods.

I noticed on every item the price was written on item with marker pen. My 1st reaction was that person was strange and tight. But as time has gone on I'm wondering why more people don't do it.

My local small independently owned supermarket are outrageous with their priceing. You can guarantee if you say bought 10 items at least 2 items are wrong price.

What do other people think of this :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We find a calculator is better , as you can keep the total in memory and show this to check-out person if the till amount differs .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We find a calculator is better , as you can keep the total in memory and show this to check-out person if the till amount differs .:)

Ok but if it isn't would you remember which item you bought has wrong price . Could you possibly do both maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Saw a lad writing down everything he got in Super Valu one day and the price was being totaled up.
    I just assumed he was a weirdo or a business studies teacher! But perhaps it is a common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bustler

and what is the person on the checkout supposed to do then?:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bustler wrote: »
    and what is the person on the checkout supposed to do then?:/

You get them to re-check obviously .

Apparently its illegal to write down prices in Tesco supermarkets .--- see this article :
    I was almost arrested in Tesco this week. My crime? Comparing prices.
    Evidently, this is such a security issue for Tesco that it wants you booted out of the store.
    The deputy manager rushed up to me within minutes of my arriving at one of its London supermarkets.
    The security cameras had spotted me with a pen and paper in hand, noting the prices of goods on the shelves.
    "Excuse me, what are you doing?" he said. I told him I was, well, writing down prices.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/sep/16/tesco-shopping-supermarket-prices-check-writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

tesco in nenagh used to have a policy that if the price charged at the till was higher then that displayed on the shelf you got to keep the item and a refund of the price you paid in other words you got the item for free they have since stopped that practice and are useing a double the differance refund now i rember getting two 6 packs of smithwicks beer one christmas priced at 9.99 each (christmas edition pack) and being charged 10.49 each for them it was even printed on the pack as 9.99 ,wife was looking at the till receipt in the car when she spotted the error and made me drive back to the shop she went in with the beer and the receipt and 10 mins later came out with the beer and the full refund :) thinking after i should have gone in before her and and got some more at that price ahh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ok just to prove I was right to do this thread. I was just doing my weekly shop in aldi, I spent 35 euro, then went to supervalu and spent 10 euro.
    then

Went to the shop I was on about with incorrect priceing and bought 1 bottle of red lemonade because I forgot to get in aldi and was overcharged by 51cent

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

Ok just to prove I was right to do this thread. I was just doing my weekly shop in aldi, I spent 35 euro, then went to supervalu and spent 10 euro.
    then

Went to the shop I was on about with incorrect priceing and bought 1 bottle of red lemonade because I forgot to get in aldi and was overcharged by 51cent

aare you gonna tell us what shop overcharged you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I have a very good memory for numbers and can remember prices quite well, above all that I usually buy the same items each week. Writing them down takes ages but then, if you are doing a big shop and are likely to have one or 2 errors, you'll end up queuing at the customer service and wait for the price to be checked anyway so it might save time in the long run (although I assume the shop manager will want to check the price on the label first)

Prices also tend to change so it's worth checking the labels even if it's the same item you buy week in week out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , that's actually a really good idea !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Some of the people seen were probably doing price surveys for rival supermarkets, happens all the time. Tesco don't like rivals coming in and doing it in there stores, but Lidl and Aldi also question people they think are from the likes of Dunnes and Tesco doing it in their stores. Common enough,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I have a very good memory for numbers and can remember prices quite well, above all that I usually buy the same items each week. Writing them down takes ages but then,
    I remember most of them too. Instead of writing down you could take photos with your phone.

In tesco if you point out the mistake at the checkout you usually do not get the 'store policy deal', you should pay first and then go back to the desk.

I spot incorrect price in tesco all the time, I rarely bother going back now since the new store policy is not worth my while.

Their price per kilo/ml is wrong loads of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A lot of the time "incorrect pricing" quoted by someone at the till is because they've read a sign wrong or the price of the item beside it. Now obviously there are mistakes but I'd say it's about 1 in every 10 person who comes up with the complaint that finds one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of the time "incorrect pricing" quoted by someone at the till is because they've read a sign wrong or the price of the item beside it. Now obviously there are mistakes but I'd say it's about 1 in every 10 person who comes up with the complaint that finds one.

like this one? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2013/0204/1224329600142.html

Advertisement