Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short break to Liverpool

• 04-02-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi People !!

Taking a short midweek break next week to liverpool for my GF birthday.(wednesday to saturday)
    Looking for something a bit different to do , anyone any suggestions.
    Also any nice places to eat ...

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

There is Cafe Sports England which Jamie Carragher co-owns. There is a focus on healthy food but you can get pizza etc. I think it's on Stanley St. The decor is good too.

The International Slavery Museum is in Albert Dock. I've never been. The pumphouse is a good pub there too.

The nightlife over there is mental but I've never seen agro.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

http://www.iguanas.co.uk/locations/liverpool Las iguanas is a lovely place for food.

Visit Liverpool FC or see if there is a match on ( If she will let you :) )

Loads to do around Liverpool one which is the main shopping area.

The tours are good the mucky duck at the docks is good fun.

Liverpool is a great city enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Take a "Ferry cross the Mersey" and visit a WW2 Submarine

Merseyside Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock

Western approaches (fascinating and little known about.)

Go up the tower.

Are you driving? Knowsley Safari Park Monkeys climbing on your car.

Nightlife

A lot of people love Bold St and Concert Square. I prefer the old style nightlife on Mathew Street. Check on the webcams there on friday and saturday night.

Liverpool One has all the fancy shops while St Johns Precinct has the Moore St / Ilac Centre feel.

Any particular questions you have, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

thanks guys

No i dont think i'll be hiring a car , were flying in wednesday evening and out again on saturday.
    staying in the radisson blu on Old Hall street . i think its pretty central.

just take in a bit of shopping a few sites and some nice food and wine.

just wanted to ensure that i wasnt missing out on a "MUST SEE/DO" when we pop over.

thanks for all the info guys

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Superscouse can tell you more probably but Liverpool One is the main shopping area. The shopping there is better than Dublin. I got myself a a great retro looking Puma track top that you would never get in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I was actually there for the weekend :D

Did the stenaline car and hotel combo. Came in cheaper than the ferry on its own :rolleyes:

Just noticed you are going next week so bring warm clothes. I know you are flying, so you may have issues with hand luggage allowances, but the biggest outlet in Europe is just outside Liverpool. Its called Cheshire Oaks. Hide her credit card if you do go there, it puts the irish outlets in the shade.

Do take a ferry cross the mersey tour. SOME of them do an elipse route with a commentary of what you can see. It is worth it - but will be cold.

To see whats on check out radiocity.co.uk or icliverpool. Take in a show. Check out Liverpool Empire, Liverpool Playhouse, or Echo Arena. I think I saw a billboard for Phantom of the Opera.
    I went to Cafe Sport England once and wasn't really impressed. Last Friday night we fancied Indian and found an all-you-can-eat buffet for £7.99 (£9.99 after half five). It was good and varied and cheap. Its called Masala Hot and its on the corner opposite the Adelphi hotel. Carnt miss it.

If you want plain, good food and a cheap pint, go to Wetherspoons. There are three in the city centre. Two around St. Johns prec. and one called The Welkin, off Church St. If you want fancy, try Jamie Olivers place in Liverpool One or upstairs in Liverpool One you have a food court with the likes of Nandos etc etc.

Around from Jamie Olivers, heading up toward the Novotel, there is a big pub restaurant on the corner which was pricey but very nice. Cannot remember the name of it but have a wander and see what takes your fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pretty sure there's a crazy golf in Liverpool One, which has a small pub in it. Found it good for the giggle.

the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's a crazy golf in Liverpool One, which has a small pub in it. Found it good for the giggle.
    I think that was up on the roof, just outside the cinema.

There are restaurants up there and an area where different things can be placed like crazy golf, merrygorounds and the like.

cheers thanks for all that info really appreciate it.

just one other quick thing , as i'll be there next week and it will be valentines day should i pre book some where to go for dinner >?!

Book if you wish - but I think you are crackers even thinking about it.

On Valentines night, prices can go up, service can be overstretched and generally, things are not as good as they can be.

I never go out Valentines night, but do go out another night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

http://www.iguanas.co.uk/locations/liverpool Las iguanas is a lovely place for food.

Visit Liverpool FC or see if there is a match on ( If she will let you :) )

Loads to do around Liverpool one which is the main shopping area.

The tours are good the mucky duck at the docks is good fun.

Liverpool is a great city enjoy.

you forgot to Mention the other half of liverpool Everton may be easier to get tickets also .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

If you like tapas, go to the Salt House, the best tapas in Liverpool imho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Liverpool Cathedral is amazing.The Beatles Museum is good craic too.

afro man wrote: »
    you forgot to Mention the other half of liverpool Everton may be easier to get tickets also .

Agreed ! Tickets would be easier to get as they are crap and no one goes there. :D

(Now waiting a row with a toffee)

Check out the customs and excise exhibition in the Albert Dock. Really interesting and a display of seizures.

cheers for all that people

i think all that should cover the 3 days 'll be there !!

Hero's the lot of ye !!!!

One last thing.

Assuming you are flying Ryanair into Liverpool : My experience of the security check varies from nice and polite, to pig ignorant.

Allow plenty of time.

Have a few for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

If you like the Beatles you're sorted ... check out the Cavern Club at any time either day or night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 alidxx

the olive press and the living room are lovely restaurants. also for a night go to the vip part of the cinema.. you can drink and its help yourself to popcorn and nachos..also they are 2 seater couches and very comfy..you will need to book as always busy

Advertisement