Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Operating System should I use?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Recently, I have bought all the components for a custom build gaming pc and was wondering which operating system I should use?

I have heard that Windows 8 is buggy and may not facilitate gaming very well and the better option would to use Windows 7.

Any Ideas? Please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Makes no odds to gaming.

Whichever you prefer the functionality and style of. I stuck with 7.

I always seen w8 as a tablet os.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

You can download Windows 7 for free and use it for 30 days without having to activate it. So, you could get it and see if you like it, then buy it and activate it before your trial runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Windows 8 is fine and a bit nipper then 7. If your building a new system and can't find win 7 cheaper then go with windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If its just for gaming I would definitely use Windows 8. I switched to windows 8 as I had to for work and in alot of games I'm getting up to a 20% increase in framerates. My eyefinity setup in battlefield went from not playable (not smooth) with one 7970 with max settings to a min of 39fps with windows 8.
    I did buy the start 8 start menu to make sure it runs like windows 7 though.

deceit wrote: »
    If its just for gaming I would definitely use Windows 8. I switched to windows 8 as I had to for work and in alot of games I'm getting up to a 20% increase in framerates. My eyefinity setup in battlefield went from not playable (not smooth) with one 7970 with max settings to a min of 39fps with windows 8.
    I did buy the start 8 start menu to make sure it runs like windows 7 though.

There is no difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-4.html

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »

try it at over triple that resolution (5760*1200) with fraps running and there is a clear difference.
    I might still have fraps videos of when I tested it. If so can show you. Both where done on same amd drivers and it was either a 17 or 18% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Were you using the same drivers on Win8 as you were on Win7? Was it the same version of FRAPS? There's a lot of other factors that could have affected it, not to mention a fresh install (unless you upgraded).

Serephucus wrote: »
    Were you using the same drivers on Win8 as you were on Win7? Was it the same version of FRAPS? There's a lot of other factors that could have affected it, not to mention a fresh install (unless you upgraded).
    Both where fresh installs as I install new once every two months without fail so just did it twice instead. Paid for fraps so used the same version both times and drivers user where the same both times as said previously.

I'm guessing you are mistaken and you actually updated the driver with windows 8. One of amd's recent drivers improved bf3 performance by 15-20%

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6393/amds-holiday-plans-cat1211-new-bundle.

Regardless, even if it's some odd problem with eyefinity setups the op isn't running eyefinity or crazy resolutions. Therefore it makes no difference to him. I really doubt it makes any difference at all.

The 13.1's improved performance another 10-20% over the 12.11's

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are mistaken and you actually updated the driver with windows 8. One of amd's recent drivers improved bf3 performance by 15-20%

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6393/amds-holiday-plans-cat1211-new-bundle.

Regardless, even if it's some odd problem with eyefinity setups the op isn't running eyefinity or crazy resolutions. Therefore it makes no difference to him. I really doubt it makes any difference at all.

The 13.1's improved performance another 10-20% over the 12.11's
    I was using 12.11 beta on both and I store my drivers/firmware along with any other files on an ftp so no, I was not mistaken with which version I was running.
    I cant see why a frame rate of a 6fps (17%) increase is not possible on minimum framerate when there is a 1.4fps increase on avg frame rate at much lower resolutions? I also would be willing to bet the minimum frame rate difference would be higher than 1.4, maybe 3fps as this is what I base it on as I believe its more important.
    I also do believe it could make a difference to him as in the future every fps will count if he doesnt upgrade often and as windows 8 matures it can only improve as its a much lighter OS.
    I know the idea of the tiles stuff is **** (I dont like it and never use it but as a gaming os it is the best at this point in time).

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. There are good reasons to go windows 8.

It does show performance improvements in some applications and has faster boot and shut down times. You can even skip bios checks completely with newer boards so when you turn on your pc it instantly starts loading windows. With an SSD you're looking at windows booting with all programs ready to go in under 10 seconds.

However, from the multiple benchmarks I have seen there is 0 difference in gaming. All results are within the margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Andyy

I ended up going with Windows 8 :) Thanks for all your help guys!

Andyy wrote: »
    I ended up going with Windows 8 :) Thanks for all your help guys!

You should be fine. Most of Windows 8's complaints are GUI related, the underlying system itself is quite decent.

Advertisement