Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Yogurt Culture in Dublin

Options
  • 04-02-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I want to make my own yogurt at home. I have previously used yogurt culture I got when I was abroad and then used the yogurt from that for the next batch, but it has now been diluted to its last.

Anyone know where I can get it in Dublin or online?

thanks,
    LT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Might be wrong but I am pretty sure you can just use some natural yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lilbe

Little Ted, I know what you are talking about. My aunt (who lives abroad) buys these in a pharmacy and makes her own yogurt at home. Never heard of anything like that here in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

no it doesn't work very well because the cultures are not strong enough. Just using natural yogurt isn't very successful, slightly better results with live yogurt, but still not great. Essentially I would only get one batch out of it. If you can get the proper cultures, you can then strain it (which is what I want to do, have a thick one rather than a loose consistency) and then use a portion of the previous batch in the next and so on and so on. This is what I have done in the past but I am now at the stage where it has been diluted quite a bit and not great.

I have bought the proper cultures abroad before, but won't be heading off til April so was hoping to source somewhere locally.

I did hear that possibly there is someone who sells it in the Temple bar food market? does anyone have any idea if that might still be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Good health food shops should have it. I'm thinking The Hopsack in Rathmines (Swan Centre)

thanks - I'll give them a call. So far in health food shops I've only been able to find the powder that you add to water, so basically de-hydrated yogurt! I'll give the Hopsack a call and see what they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

There is a company in Carlow called oldmcdonald.ie . they will almost definitely have it but there site is down right now so it's hard to see.

thanks for that! I'll keep an eye on the site and see what they have.

Advertisement