Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone router question

Options
  • 04-02-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My eircom Vodafone router is dying, all the lights are on but there's no signal. I've tried two different laptops and two different smart phones and none can get a signal. I've hit the reset button and it'll be fine for an hour, two tops.

I called eircom vodafone and they said they would send me a new one BUT and its a big but, it'll cost €19.99 (not too bad I guess) and I have to sign up to a year's contract (feck that!)

So, my question is, what are my options? I've looked online and routers cost between €30 and €250. What would I need for my regular use 3 bed house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

where are you based? I have a spare one

• Registered Users Posts: 11 allancar

Really? Brilliant!
    I'm in Drogheda, but work in Dublin.

Dammit, my wife just gave me a slap - it's a Vodafone router, not an eircom one - does that make a difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

allancar wrote: »
    My eircom router is dying, all the lights are on but there's no signal. I've tried two different laptops and two different smart phones and none can get a signal. I've hit the reset button and it'll be fine for an hour, two tops.

I called eircom and they said they would send me a new one BUT and its a big but, it'll cost €19.99 (not too bad I guess) and I have to sign up to a year's contract (feck that!)

So, my question is, what are my options? I've looked online and routers cost between €30 and €250. What would I need for my regular use 3 bed house?
    You definately DON'T have to get a new contract for a replacement router, that's a load of lies there.

Secondly, what are the names of the lights presently on the Vodafone router?

Finally, where is the router situated in your house? Is it near any wireless devices (such as the base of a cordless phone)?

advertsfox wrote: »
    You definately DON'T have to get a new contract for a replacement router, that's a load of lies there.

Secondly, what are the names of the lights presently on the Vodafone router?

Finally, where is the router situated in your house? Is it near any wireless devices (such as the base of a cordless phone)?

We knew they had to be talking ****e, so we asked for a manager to ring us back.

There's three lights, one is power, one is a pic of a globe signalling connection and third is a pic of an antenna. The three are on most of the time but the antenna flashes from time to time.
    It's one of these - http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4150/5060250256_8f96567c59.jpg
    that one is not mine

Yes, it's near a phone base, but it's been there for 3 years without any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

allancar wrote: »
    We knew they had to be talking ****e, so we asked for a manager to ring us back.

There's three lights, one is power, one is a pic of a globe signalling connection and third is a pic of an antenna. The three are on most of the time but the antenna flashes from time to time.
    It's one of these - http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4150/5060250256_8f96567c59.jpg
    that one is not mine

Yes, it's near a phone base, but it's been there for 3 years without any problems
    Those are the correct lights, the antenna (Wi-Fi) flickers for activity. I'm surprised they didn't do any connection troubleshooting with you (such as different Wi-Fi settings, channels etc) as they have remote access to them by default.

Just so you know, those routers are muck - I'd recommend a standard BT or Eircom router over those anyway. Alternatively, you can pick up a good one from the likes of PC World. I've owned this one before, never drops + great signal quality.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7984780/art/d-link/dsl-2680-wireless-n-150-a.html

PS: Worked in BB Support for over 4 years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

PS: Worked in BB Support for over 4 years ;)

We'll keep you around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Just so you know, those routers are muck - I'd recommend a standard BT or Eircom router over those anyway. Alternatively, you can pick up a good one from the likes of PC World.

+1,000 on that. They really are rubbish. Have two in a drawer, waiting for me to find someone I hate enough to give to :D

Bosh wrote: »

+1,000 on that. They really are rubbish. Have two in a drawer, waiting for me to find someone I hate enough to give to :D
    Thanks everyone I'll get myself a new one so

Advertisement