Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contacts disappeared

• 04-02-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    All my contacts have disappeared on my iPhone 4.I haven't done any software updates since ios5 and that was a while ago.
    The only thing out of the ordinary that happened was the phone died yesterday but all the names and numbers were there when it was recharged.
    Has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Could be a few things.

Make sure when your looking at your Contacts it says 'All Contacts' at the top and your not inside an empty group of contacts.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> iCloud and see if the contacts are turned on.

Have you your contacts backed up on iCloud or Google Contacts? Go to iCloud.com and login with your Apple Account and see if your contacts are backed up or go to http://google.com/contacts if you've them synced there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thanks Dudda had tried all those things but no they just seem to have disappeared!
    It's not even trying to find the contacts now I'm more curios as to what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Thanks Dudda had tried all those things but no they just seem to have disappeared!
    It's not even trying to find the contacts now I'm more curios as to what happened!

if you are not jailbroken, just do a reset of the software and restore from your icloud back up

goto settings->general->reset->erase all content and settings
    then when you set the phone up again just use your apple id to restore the contacts.

firstly log onto icould.com to make sure you have all the contacts backed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

This happened to me today. One minute everyone had a name, now I've got no contacts. Very puzzling. iPhone 4, running ios 5. Longtime no backup. (my bad).

Strange thing is, when I do a search, some results come up which are text messages with names attached - does this mean the contact details are there somewhere? I'm pretty sure I'm in the "all contacts" group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

If you go into settings, Reset, Reset Home Screen Layout, it should sort it out...

Be aware, any icons you have in folders will have to be redone again as all icons will be back to the way they were

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

If you go into settings, Reset, Reset Home Screen Layout, it should sort it out...

Be aware, any icons you have in folders will have to be redone again as all icons will be back to the way they were

DT

Tried that, DT, thanks, but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Into contacts, top left is groups. Tick the ones that applies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

This happened to me a few weeks ago also - I have a thread here somewhere about it. Tried everything I could think of and suggested but no joy. It's funny but when I go to write a text message and type in a contact name in the number box, the contact appears but I cannot find the contacts anywhere else! I ended up going through my messages and figuring out my contacts from what messages were there and saving my contacts again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Do any of you have Viber or maybe What's App installed or similar voice or messaging app's installed?Sometimes these app's can cause a conflict in a filesystem or they can take control of your contacts.
    So it might be worth your while checking the settings on these app's or google any issues with them,regarding contacts.

bazzz wrote: »
    Do any of you have Viber or maybe What's App installed or similar voice or messaging app's installed?Sometimes these app's can cause a conflict in a filesystem or they can take control of your contacts.
    So it might be worth your while checking the settings on these app's or google any issues with them,regarding contacts.

I checked Viber last night - it had a full list of contacts, but none (except a muddled few that were wrong) had any phone number attached. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling Viber. All that achieved was losing my Viber history (which was part of the calculated risk!)

Sillymoo - did you still have the text messages with names attached? It pains me to think that the contact details are still in there somewhere!

I'll try restoring from backup when I get a chance over the next day or two, but I was kinda hoping they'd reappear as bizarrely as they disappeared!

• Advertisement

Prenderb wrote: »

I checked Viber last night - it had a full list of contacts, but none (except a muddled few that were wrong) had any phone number attached. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling Viber. All that achieved was losing my Viber history (which was part of the calculated risk!)

Sillymoo - did you still have the text messages with names attached? It pains me to think that the contact details are still in there somewhere!

I'll try restoring from backup when I get a chance over the next day or two, but I was kinda hoping they'd reappear as bizarrely as they disappeared!
    No there were no name attached to the messages just the number - I figured out who the messages were from based on the content! Yes it's terribly frustrating knowing that the contacts are there somewhere and I have yet to get them back. I tried restoring, also checked viber and whatsapp to no avail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

This happened to me this morning. It seems a lot of people with iPhone 4's running iOS 5.1.x have been having this problem this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jacqy1991

this keeps happening on my iphone 4 aswell

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Argh, this just happened me there. What is causing it? Im on 5.0 jailbroken, so havent updated anything on it. Seems very odd that it has just started happening to a load of people...

antodeco wrote: »
    Argh, this just happened me there. What is causing it? Im on 5.0 jailbroken, so havent updated anything on it. Seems very odd that it has just started happening to a load of people...
    My contacts are gone when writing a message now. They only thing I can think if is maybe its a problem with synching with Facebook contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Mine is an iPhone 3-happened last week, all numbers are there, but not attached to any names. Then a couple of days later it wouldn't charge. Thought it was the end! Had numbers backed up to SIM card so got some that way, but have done no updates or anything, leave it up to himself to do all that for me after I managed to lose all my music once-so it's not only the 4's. no vibes or whatsapp on mine, have them on ipad and iPod, but not phone-no syncing with Facebook or anything either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just happened my phone again!
    Aaagh :-(

Advertisement