Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basejump

• 04-02-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone reading in here have any first-hand experience of a basejump? I don't mind travelling or even completing a course if that's a requirement before completing a basejump. I know they have 4-5day courses in Switzerland but has anyone completed a basejump anywhere in Ireland with, or without a course?

Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

For anyone else interested in basejumping, I was given this linkie to a discussion forum full of info. I've also added that linkie to our linkie sticky above :)

Hope others find it as helpful as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

kerry4sam wrote: »
    For anyone else interested in basejumping, I was given this linkie to a discussion forum full of info. I've also added that linkie to our linkie sticky above :)

Hope others find it as helpful as I am.

Have you any skydiving experience?

jimmurt wrote: »
    Have you any skydiving experience?

Just done the one to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Any of the first jump courses I have looked at require a minimum number of skydives. The most common number is 200.

Basejumping needs a specific set of skills that can't be achieved from a 5 day first jump course.

Check out the requirements section of this site:

www.baseeuphoria.com

jimmurt wrote: »
    Any of the first jump courses I have looked at require a minimum number of skydives. The most common number is 200.

Basejumping needs a specific set of skills that can't be achieved from a 5 day first jump course.

Check out the requirements section of this site:

www.baseeuphoria.com

Yeah I know. Thanks though. I am aiming toward a basejump, though it will take some time.

Thanks for your linkie also, appreciate it :). I will also add it to the linkie sticky above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Check this out , will show you a little of whats involved .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxd1fKwQLKM

bog_savage wrote: »
    Check this out , will show you a little of whats involved .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxd1fKwQLKM

Ive been briefed on what is involved & seen one too. Thanks for your linkie though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

If you are really set on getting into base jumping without any skydiving experience (its not a completely retarded idea but its pretty close) then there are certain places that run 'death' camps ie camps for people who dont have any skydiving experience.

I am less familiar with the european scene but check out bridge day, apex base, sean chuma.

Its totally doable and you will probably live to realise the error of your ways and you might even have a long and fruitfull base career but if you do more than a few you will eventually get hurt, at least if you learn the fundamentals through skydiving you increase your chances of reacting correctly to a problem and therefore increase your chances of not becoming wheelchair or coffin bound.

Edited to add; www.basejumper.com is the best place to ask experienced people for advice and there are people there who went the no skydive route but most of them it seems were involved in other aerial / alternative sports like paragliding or rock climbing etc Dont be suprised if people on that site are hostile towards the idea most of them have seen very experienced friends die and dont have a lot of patience for people wanting to rush in and get themselves killed but if you dont come off as super gung ho cocky and invincible you will be fine.

Advertisement