Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modded PAL SNES or NTSC SNES?

• 04-02-2013 6:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12

I have the choice of picking up either a 60hz modded PAL snes or a U.S. snes. Is there any advantages to one or the other? Is it difficult to get a U.S. working with the difference in the mains power? And will a ntsc snes work on all 60hz compatible PAL TV's with RGB scart?

The PAL snes has region free and 60hz mod and also has the cartridge slot widen to take U.S. games.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Chachi wrote: »
    I have the choice of picking up either a 60hz modded PAL snes or a U.S. snes. Is there any advantages to one or the other? Is it difficult to get a U.S. working with the difference in the mains power? And will a ntsc snes work on all 60hz compatible PAL TV's with RGB scart?

The PAL snes has region free and 60hz mod and also has the cartridge slot widen to take U.S. games.

Cheers!

Normally I'd advise taking the PAL modded Snes. Its handier for the psu etc, but then see it has the cart slot widened - this mod really ruins the looks of the console imo.

There's no real difference between the two, 99% of NTSC carts will play on a modded Snes.

I sold my modded Snes after a few years & went with a US one because I just like the look of them, there's no real functional difference to a modded Snes. But again, if the cart slot is cut to bits I'd shy away from it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd actually advise on getting a NTSC SNES. There's quite a few late game SNES games that will not work on a modded PAL SNES, most of which are system highlights like Mario RPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you like having NTSC systems but dislike the look of the US snes, then get a Japanese Super Famicom.

I collect PAL snes carts and run them on a modded Jap Super Famicom. Most work fine, two have had game breaking timing issues (Starwing and Mario Kart). Could be easily remedied by picking up NTSC carts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12 Chachi

Thanks for the advice. Going to go for the ntsc snes me thinks. There's something just not right about a u.s. cart in a pal snes. And the cut up cart slot is kinda fugly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have both now, a modded US Super Nintendo that runs almost everything and a standard PAL Snes for the games that won't run on anything else, like Super Mario Allstars+ SMW.
    They look great together as well.
    As for the PSU, the US console is using a Euro power supply with a US connector grafted on, all is well, plus cheaper to import.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd actually advise on getting a NTSC SNES. There's quite a few late game SNES games that will not work on a modded PAL SNES, most of which are system highlights like Mario RPG.

Depends on the mod, the switchless mod runs all the games fine. Saying that though I'd still get a NTSC snes, some NTSC games lag abit on a modded pal snes even though they're running at 60hz, it's nothing unplayable or anything and rarely occurs. The lag is really bad in Megaman X and street fighter alpha 2 though

You can get Mario RPG to run on a standard mod by covering one of the pins with black tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just for the look of it, I'd go for the US one and at the end of the day looks are the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just for the look is go for the US one and at the end of the day, looks are the most important thing.

Your mouth is full of wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Your mouth is full of wrong.

But my eyes are full of beauty and my hands are full of washed out smartie colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Sorry to bring up a fairly old post, but i have a question somewhat related.

For a NTSC SNES to work over here is a special RGB cable and power supply required? I have a PAL SNES power supply and RGB cable, will these work with it?

• Advertisement

Donatron wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up a fairly old post, but i have a question somewhat related.

For a NTSC SNES to work over here is a special RGB cable and power supply required? I have a PAL SNES power supply and RGB cable, will these work with it?

The power supply connectors are different, you'll need to either modify the connector or use a step down. Not sure about the RGB lead...

Actually there's a great guide on mmmonkey that I followed when I got my US Snes - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/power-adapter-for-american-snes/

Here's my pics of the parts needed & completed psu {Megadrive PSU}

kdqzpg.jpg

opjit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

thanks for the info!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a slightly different pin arrangement on the PAL and NTSC RGB cables but not sure...

Donatron wrote: »
    thanks for the info!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a slightly different pin arrangement on the PAL and NTSC RGB cables but not sure...

Actually, consolegoods.co.uk to the rescue again. They list a "UK mains adaptor/power supply unit for imported USA SNES consoles" in the Snes section.

They also list different RGB cables for the PAL & NTSC machines, so the pinouts are different. Just shop from there, tis a bit more expensive but worth it as he provides the best cables & actually understands what he's selling

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can a Japanese SNES play US games without a mod?

Can a Japanese SNES play US games without a mod?

Yes, but it'll either need an import adapter or a cart slot mod as the US carts won't fit in the SFC cart slot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yes, but it'll either need an import adapter or a cart slot mod as the US carts won't fit in the SFC cart slot

That is to say, butcher it with a Dremel, like me!
    An import adapter is the way to go!

Pity there isn't an aftermarket SNES casing that'd do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

No one would ever wanna do this but...could you fit a PAL SNES inside a NTSC console?

Again, no point but just interested :)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    No one would ever wanna do this but...could you fit a PAL SNES inside a NTSC console?

Again, no point but just interested :)

Steady on there...
    We'll have no threats against Kerbs person, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apologies for bumping an older thread.

Recently I've decided to invest in getting a modded SNES that can play PAL/Jap/NTSC and I'm looking for some advice. Many on here are much, much more knowledgeable than me on this sort of thing.

First of all, I'm sure I'll make some cry by saying this, but looks of the machine are not at all important so whatever the easiest way of doing it will be fine. I'm basically looking for a machine that will play PAL/NTSC/Jap in the easiest way possible. I have no experience on soldering or anything like that either. I have kept a spare SNES console in reserve for this very reason, for it to be modded. However if the advice was to mod either a Jap or NTSC machine that would be no problem.

What would people recommend? Is there places/someone in Ireland that does a great job on these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Corholio wrote: »
    ...looks of the machine are not at all important so whatever the easiest way of doing it will be fine.

As you've already got a SNES, that's your easiest option. Once modded it'll play both PAL and Jap games no problem. The only ones that could be a problem would be the NTSC games, which come in a wider cart. You could simply cut the cart slot if the appearance isn't too important to you, and they'll then work with the console.

As already stated, our fair overlord, Myrddin does a great job of modding the consoles, so give him a shout!

Advertisement