Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post got delivered to old address

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Some ******'s posted something rather important to an apartment we used to rent 2 years ago rather than our current address.

Going to call around tonight and see if we can ask them nicely if they have received the letter for me. Worried about a few things:
    -might be nobody there
    -might not answer
    -might have opened the letter and decided to use the contents for themselves (i know this is rather illegal but sometimes people can't help themselves)
    -might have chucked it in the bin and deny ever getting it

If we don't get an answer, I guess I'll have to call the letting agency who let it when we were there. Anybody had experience with this sort of thing or know the best way to proceed?

Obviously if that letter is gone, I'll be raising hell but I'd like to see if i can get it back first.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they say they don't have it, offer a tenner, and be prepared to be "haggled" up to €20.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bring ID with you.
    If I received post for someone else- I'd be very hesitant to hand it over to some random stranger knocking at the door. Normally I do a return to sender, unknown at this address on the front of it and leave it in the out box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Why all the suspicion? Most people I know would be happy to hand over post that was delivered incorrectly. Do you have reason to believe there are absolute scumbags living there?

Bring ID anyway - more for their sake than yours, because they won't be happy to have some stranger knocking at their door. What is it? Would they know it was valuable without opening it? If something of value came to my house, I'd be terrified in case it belonged to some hard chaw! :D

Normally I would hold onto the item for a day or two in case someone called looking for it, and after that drop it in a postbox with "not known at this address" like smccarrick said.

Be polite anyway, that would be my starting point... and leave a note with your phone number if there's no answer. If it's a woman on her own, she probably won't answer the door to you because of the risk, not because she's opened your mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Brought ID. Was extremely polite.
    Got letter back. Guy refused the offer of a tenner.
    There are some decent people in the world after all.
    Thanks for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not really sure why the need to offer money in exchange for your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

gaius c wrote: »
    Brought ID. Was extremely polite.
    Got letter back. Guy refused the offer of a tenner.
    There are some decent people in the world after all.
    Thanks for suggestions.

I would have though you would have been very unfortunate to meet someone who would refuse to give it to you! The vast majority of people are decent afterall!

Like other posters ; if I get post for someone else it would go back to sender or if that wasnt on the envelope ; into recycling after a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

djimi wrote: »
    Im not really sure why the need to offer money in exchange for your post?
    People are lazy; they won't walk to the kitchen to get the letter - they'll just say no. But if you offer a reward to do something simple, they'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

the_syco wrote: »
    People are lazy; they won't walk to the kitchen to get the letter - they'll just say no. But if you offer a reward to do something simple, they'll do it.

You need to meet new people :)

the_syco wrote: »

Good lord what a low opinion you have of people! It wouldnt even enter my head to start offering money to someone for something like that; if they say they havent got it then Ill take them at their word. If they say they have got it but wont hand it over then Ill report them to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

djimi wrote: »
    Good lord what a low opinion you have of people! It wouldnt even enter my head to start offering money to someone for something like that; if they say they havent got it then Ill take them at their word. If they say they have got it but wont hand it over then Ill report them to the Gardai.

They'll just that they haven't got it + are "too busy" to look and leave it up to you to "make it worth their while" to bother looking. Happened to a mate of mine. Letter had been opened and everything!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I would have though you would have been very unfortunate to meet someone who would refuse to give it to you! The vast majority of people are decent afterall! ...
    +1 IME

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They'll just that they haven't got it + are "too busy" to look and leave it up to you to "make it worth their while" to bother looking. Happened to a mate of mine. Letter had been opened and everything!

I'd have gone to the guards to be honest. Opening my mail is illegal and then demanding money for it is extortion. They might not end up in court but they'll have a pretty bad week.

You realise about 99% of the population are not like this, yeah?

And I agree; had the opened the letter they would have been getting a call from the Gardai.

Advertisement