Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I right to be a little mad, or am I being unfair?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so basically, I will higlight, I am doing an unpaid internship. (Not a job-bridge, so literally unpaid.) I hate the idea of these things, but I was just wasting away at home otherwise so, it was this or insanity.

It is for an assistant/secretary of a fairly small sized office in a small town (Midlands, but will not name names)

It has been going well, been there about four months now, and I like the job itself but have probably done as much as I will be doing so pretty boring at this point.

Now, about a month in, this thing started where it was a case of, I was being left to do all the work, while the boss and other employees (there aren't many) come and went as they pleased, doing personal errands etc. Which was fine, I was assisting. But now, it has gotten to the stage where they just call about five mins before I get there to say 'oh yeah, not coming in today, just get on with things and lock up at six.'

Now, I have no problem with doing my job and helping other out by any means, but surely, this shouldn't happen 5/6 days??? Like, I am meant to be helping (and learning, not to mention, it IS work experience) but I am basically running the show. Clients are getting antsy now because everytime they call I have to make up an excuse why the bosses aren't there etc... I can tell they are getting sick of it, and I feel like people think I am incompetent. It is not the case, I pass everything on and let them know of clients appointments etc.

Do I, in your opinion, have a right to be angry, or am I just being a little whingey? If so, why or why not?

What would you do? Is this right, especially for someone not being paid??

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fair play to you for trying to find something to do with your time. If you're happy with the status quo, then fine. Suck it up.

If not, then maybe you could ask if this could be converted to a Jobbridge role (I seriously doubt this will be a paid job, as it seems your 'employers' are used to free labour! ;)), or you leave.

No point in getting steamed up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah, they already made it clear there is no job available. I am actually covering maternity, I discovered after starting.

Quitting is not really an option as it will look worse if I leave in the middle and make an excuse than just stick it out and pray for a job afterwards.

Needed a rant, and I think fairly so. Maybe I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why is quitting not an option? YOU'RE the one being taken advantage of! You've already been told there's no job. So why are you looking to 'stick it out' and 'pray there is a job afterwards'?

So what if they're left in the lurch? Their problem, not yours. Maybe then they'll get a temp. PAY them and treat them properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Get out of there asap. They are taking advantage of you. Never work for free, go back to college and up-skill. Or try voluntary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I can understand that you want to stay to get a reference out of them.

But really, you should be looking for a real job as well, and leave as soon as you find one. (And you want the clients to think you're competent, as they may be a source of a real job for you!)

You need to start communicating the customer's concerns to the staff: ham it up a bit, tell them that the customers are sounding very anxious .. maybe even phone the staff during the day to let them know what's happening. Don't make up excuses for the staff, just say "X is not in the office today, I don't know what the story is, do you want to speak to a manager instead" - obviously at a time when you have a manager to put them through to.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

As the last post said, I am sticking it out both for the reference and because I really want a little experience in this area on my CV. If I quit now, it will be a few months and that's it.

While they have made it plain there is no job, there may be a job ELSEWHERE that this experience will help me get. I am applying to paying jobs at the same time just as much as I did before I started. (obviously to no avail)

It is a very, very small family business, only two employees who are related, and then me.

I have actually been reduced to begging them to see clients on some days, simply because I am sick of being the one they get angry at. To no avail, again.

Not sure what else to do, just to make it more bearable, and if anything just needed a rant, a second opinion and if anyone else was in the same situation.

I know I can leave anytime, but I've only been going through it is to get a PAYING job at the end, even if it IS somewhere else... So leaving will only make the last few months worthless, if you get what I mean.

Thanks anyway, all.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I am going back to college in Sept, but I don't want to be unemployed until then by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think you need to stay there another couple of months, any work experience less than 6 months is not really valued by employers. Having said that it's time for a chat with the boss asking for more responsibility including directly dealing with clients (other than fobbing them off on the phone - you seem to have mastered that very valuable skill). Prepare well for the meeting, highlight the value this will bring to both you and them.

I think you need to stay there another couple of months, any work experience less than 6 months is not really valued by employers. Having said that it's time for a chat with the boss asking for more responsibility including directly dealing with clients (other than fobbing them off on the phone - you seem to have mastered that very valuable skill). Prepare well for the meeting, highlight the value this will bring to both you and them.

I agree on the staying comment. (Unless by some amazing miracle I get a job in the meantime)

There is no such thing as 'meetings' in this office ha ha...The standard work uniform is hoody and jeans, and is not the most professional. I was too prepared at the interview and just didn't fit in the first few days because I was kind of doing overkill to do a good job and looked out of place by dressing professionally. Went to waste...

I agree, I COULD have a chat, but what makes you think clients are going to talk about their private business/ accounts etc with a secretary on work experience? It doesn't really work that way, and that is not what I am meant to be there for. I have no problem with going out of my way to do a good job, but doing their job, and being trained for something completely different is not what I want.

I am meant to be getting experience as a secretary, not as a step in for the business owner. My job is to greet clients, and look after everything possible that I can ASSIST with, do all office admin, and other things included in a secretarial role. Why should I do their job aswell, unpaid, when it is not where I want to go in life, and it isn't what I was hired for? Surely, having me there shouldn't be an excuse for them to stop working - I am there to assist, not replace.

I hope you can see where I am coming from here.

I'm not even complaining that I have to 'fob off' clients, as you put it, but why should I have to do it when

1) It's a daily occurrence and sometimes they don't even show up for the day.

and

2) I wouldn't mind if it was business stuff, but it is always personal stuff such as shopping.

If you can get paid thousands a month for that, and hire someone unpaid to basically do your job with no experience, then maybe I should reconsider my life path.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something here?

They must be laughing at you, doing all the work for free. What are you getting out of this....maybe a reference?!?!?!?

Get out of there as quick as possible and never, never again work for free....no matter what rubbish they promise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

JoHart wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

They must be laughing at you, doing all the work for free. What are you getting out of this....maybe a reference?!?!?!?

Get out of there as quick as possible and never, never again work for free....no matter what rubbish they promise you.

I must be doubly confused. How are they still in business when they refuse to meet with clients?

It's a worrying time, when the employer is all-conquering king.

I see it in the measurement of university performance, school league tables etc.

In the olden days, the employee and the employer would strike an agreement....I will pay you x money for x work.

In general terms:
    the employer would pay as little as possible for as much work as possible
    the emploee would work as little as possible for as much money as possible

But an agreement was struck nonetheless

NOW

Employee works for free

??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you are crazy OP and they are really taking advantage.

You have the experience, staying another couple of months won't make any difference and if questioned by a prospective employer about your experience in this area you should have examples to back it up.

I would call their bluff and say 'Thank you very much for the opportunity, I have learned lots here but I am no longer in the position to work for free.' Then give them a weeks notice and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Yeah, they already made it clear there is no job available. I am actually covering maternity, I discovered after starting.

Quitting is not really an option as it will look worse if I leave in the middle and make an excuse than just stick it out and pray for a job afterwards.

These are the two key statements in what you have posted about this "job".

You are covering maternity leave, therefore there is a job and someone would be getting paid to do it if they were not on maternity leave.

Your "employer" is a sponger he/she has hired you to do the work that they themselves are either unwilling or unable to do themselves, and are getting you to do it for free.

Quitting may not be an option, but you do not have to be a doormat, if a client calls you to speak to a manager/owner and that person is not available it is not your job to make an excuse for them.

It is your job to inform the client that manager x is not available to meet you, take your call, etc. etc. and only supply the client with whatever reason your manager has given you for their absence.

The company is based in a small midlands town, I'll bet that the clients of this company have heard all the bulls**t excuses from the previous employee that sat in your position.

You are doing yourself no favours by lying to these clients because they can see it a mile away.

You said you are not being paid, you're not on jobsbridge, so you're there in a voluntary capacity, I'd ask the owner to pay you for your time or I'd reduce the hours I was making myself available to them.

If you're only there for a reference if the company is that badly run it won't be in business by the time you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A company in a small town who dodge calls from clients.
    I also want to know how they are still in business :confused:

Step up the job hunt OP and a good source to start is research the clients companies.
    They know your name anyway and you're likely speaking to somebody senior.

Do some research anyway

Hopefully a few are based locally to you

You are there 4 months.
    Set a goal to be outta there by 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

If your post is correct, and I don't doubt it is you appear to be a bright and ambitious person. Your employer however appears to be a parasite at best. Look at it this way, will the reference given by this employer be actually beneficial anyway. He may just state that you were a good timekeeper and pleasant!! Is that worth 6 months work for nowt.

I don't know your circumstances however as others have said you could do voluntary work. A reference from St. Vincent de Paul or the Samaritans would probably go a lot further then one which your present employer may give. You could try the National Jobbridge Scheme or the Internship Scheme thats run by the Govt. Although personally speaking I believe these schemes are actually encouraging the same sort of employer that you have. You could see if any other sharp practices are going on such as non-compliance with tax/vat or h&s legislation, and you could report him.

In conclusion, my opinion walk, you should do better, if you don't keep a diary and let fly if you don't get your reference.

If you're only there for a reference if the company is that badly run it won't be in business by the time you need it

I actually never thought of it that way.

Seeing it in black and white made me sit back and go yeah, it's more likely to happen than not, at this point.

When I started this thread, I needed a vent, and I needed to know if I was just whining or if this was unacceptable. I never really thought of it in the way that, if things are going that badly, all my work and reference will be wasted.

Thanks so much everyone, I am still avidly looking for a paying job, so wish me luck.

Thanks for all your advice, it is always good to have a different perspective, and I am a little less worried now about if I do decide to leave.

I have been a lot more firm this week with not making excuses/taking the fall for lack of work from the others, and there was a bad day where they messed up HUGELY. Usually, I would fix up the mess and try and patch it up for them, but I didn't this time. I thought it might open their eyes to the fact they need to step it up a bit - things are the same.

Definitely have something to think on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Quit what? Unpaid job that looks like they won't provide a reference, as they're never in the office to give you one, or may not even exist if they keep dodging their customers?

You say they won't talk to their customers, to the people who pay them; so what makes you think they'll talk to someone about your work experience. As for "other job elsewhere", they're stringing you along for nothing, imo.

Find out the persons name who is on maternity leave, and track them down on facebook, and see if they're actually on maternity leave, or if they quit because of the bullsh|t. I wouldn't be surprised if you are one of a long line of freebies that they've had work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I know they aren't paying you op but have they ever even say bought you dinner? if not I dont see how anyone could work for such users.

• Advertisement

An update for you all.

Gave my weeks notice about two months ago to the employer. Offered to finish the week as it was the least I would do, but after that I would be leaving as I wanted to focus on getting a job and I didn't feel I was learning anything anymore.

I got a sour face and was told to just leave straight away.

Fair enough, I offered to stay again but left after that.

Went back a few days later as I had to pick up a letter from them for the social welfare, which was fine, had to ask twice for that and eventually got it. I asked for a reference on that day, and two separate occasions after that.

All I am getting is 'Oh the other person in the office will do it, they're better at that stuff'

Both of the other staff said that on two separate occasions. Have sent emails, calls, texts, and nearly three months later, still no reference.

I was right in getting out of the place, as they were a bunch of users, and now that I have covered someones maternity leave (which they could get in trouble for) , giving me a reference is just too much bother.

To anyone going to do WPP, if you insist on doing it, please don't let yourself be used as I was. I always said I wouldn't, but when you're actually doing one, you're next to powerless.

Either way, thanks for all the replies, and the experience I got from the place to sum it up, is useless, because I literally learned how to answer a phone and update a website.

OP here.

Left my WPP two months ago, and have been hassling them for a reference ever since.

I called, went in, emailed and all I got was 'we'll post it to you' and the two managers saying the other will do it. I still haven't got it despite hounding them for it.

They fob me off like they used to their clients. I feel bad for people genuinely interested in work placement, it is workplaces like this that give it a bad name and use and abuse their staff.

I have not got a job since, and basically feel it was a complete waste of time.

Thanks for all replies over the months.

Advertisement