Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearm renewal form section 4.3

Options
  • 04-02-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

In section 4.3 (storage details)

Have you complied with the requirements of the firearm (secure accommodation)
    order, 2009?

yes or no

Is this requirement optional? I have had same shot gun for 20 years and the same air rifle for 25 years and I don't have a gun cabinet, the last time I renewed the guard said that cabinets were recommended but not compulsory, has the situation changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

In section 4.3 (storage details)

Have you complied with the requirements of the firearm (secure accommodation)
    order, 2009?

yes or no

Is this requirement optional? I have had same shot gun for 20 years and the same air rifle for 25 years and I don't have a gun cabinet, the last time I renewed the guard said that cabinets were recommended but not compulsory, has the situation changed?

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20307%202009%20FIREARMS%20(SECURE%20ACCOMMODATION)%20REGULATIONS%202009.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is this requirement optional?
    The minimum standard is a gun safe for a rifle. For a shotgun the safe be or may not be an issue. All depends on your Super. However i have yet to meet anyone with more than a shotgun that has not been required to have a safe.
    ............... I don't have a gun cabinet, the last time I renewed the guard said that cabinets were recommended but not compulsory, has the situation changed?
    If your FO said you don't need one, and the Super did not make you get one then legally they are satisfied that you don't need one sbut a safe is mandatory for two unrestricted firearms, and frankly you should have had one by now. Ticking the box when you don't comply or when you don't have the security requirements is not recommended. It's classed as fraud.

I would confirm with your FO that s/he does not need you to have one then proceed as they say.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It is now a requirement that you need a safe. Unless it is only one unrestricted shotgun so you need to get a safe. I would get one even if it wasn't a requirement if someone stole your guns you would have no comeback and would find it very hard to get another licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Thanks guys,

I'll tick the NO box and see what happens, haven't used the guns for over a year, I probably should just get rid of them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you tick no then they won't grant you the licence, Just buy a cheap safe there is usually one in the for sale section going cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

juice1304 wrote: »
    If you tick no then they won't grant you the licence, Just buy a cheap safe there is usually one in the for sale section going cheap.

+1 to that

The reason I posted the link was for you to read and see yourself that they are not optional security requirements but mandatory.

Regardless of what anyone says, if it isn't on paper, it didn't happen.

That being said. If your not using your guns, why not try get a few pound out of them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Did you really win the lotto??

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Did you really win the lotto??

3 numbers and the bonus ball:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I think you would not regret getting a safe. If you do a good job, and Rawl bolt it into a solid block corner of your house, it is very usefull not just for your guns, but also the passports, Will, birth certs etc.
    I drilled extra holes in mine, and put 4 rawl bolts up the back, and 4 more up the side, all into 6 inch block walls. Have 2 down into the floor. Make sure you know where the central heating pipes run before drilling the floor.
    Don't lose the keys!

Advertisement