Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic overclocking concepts

Options
  • 04-02-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

I'm ready to start properly overclocking my recent purchase (3570k), and I'd just like to get some basic concepts straightened out in my head. I've actually read a lot of guides, but none seem to make it explicitly clear; many make assumptions on the part of the user's computer literacy, while others just flat out leave out information, making so it is upon the user to figure something out.

So:

The limiting factors to overclocking are heat and stability. One could potentially undervolt their 3570k to run cooler at stock temps, but not so cool as it would make the CPU unstable (logically it follows then that there is probably only a certain small headroom for that performance increase (let's assume the user wants it to tun cooler)). As long as the processor doesn't crash under a stress test, and the voltages settings are within reason (within reason being defined as a setting which does not adversely affect the chip's life), then the overclock is safe (stable)?

If I want to overclock my 3570k on an Asrock Z77 Pro3, all I need to do is to change the ratio by increasing the number. I don't need to mess with the voltages as long as it passes a reasonable stress test (say, several hours of Prime95). I have a Hyper 212 plus cooler, and I just bumped it up to 4.4Ghz at stock voltages (up from my previous overclock from stock voltages at 4.2Ghz), and run a quick stress test. I will run a proper one soon enough. (20 mins of Prime95 gave me a reading of 60 degrees on the hottest chip, good result I think? Comments?).

I am not so sure about changing the voltages. According to CoreTemp and Hardware Monitor, they are adjusted automatically (according to the clock speed; the cpu is dynamically clocked according to usage, and idles at 1600mhz). Is it OK to leave this? Is it the voltage offset I modify when I want to overvolt? CoreTemp reports 1.2001 VID when I'm stress testing, is this just the maximum stock voltage? Is this OK? Does the voltage offset in the BIOS control this, ie if I set it to .005 volt, it would have that much extra leeway?

Thanks in advance, as you can see I'm not totally illiterate, I just like to be able to actually understand things, and not simply follow a manual and hope for the best. (BTW my hottest core is idling now at 25 degrees, which I think is a good temp :) The rest are 12, 19 and 20 :)).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hi you pretty have it sussed.

Any voltage increase will reduce the lifespan of a processor. This is made worse if temps are not kept under control. Considering how long the lifespan is it usually isn't a problem. Reducing it's lifespan from say 20+ years to 10+ years is not an issue.

If your chip is p95 stable after 24 hours then it should be ok but not always. Stability can only be assured from normal long term use without crashing or freezeups.

If your chip is stable at stock voltage at 4.4 then you have a pretty good chip. That's the easy overclocking limit for 3570k's though. The difficulty comes pushing it past that point. 4.6 should be easily doable with a 212 evo. If you have a good chip you might get higher but the voltages required to get there usually aren't worth it for a 100-200mhz increase.

For mine I can do 4.3 at stock voltage stable. I have to go increase the voltage 0.05v for 4.4 and 0.1v for 4.5 and 0.2v for 4.6 which brings it to 1.3v under load and temps in the region of 70-75c depending on ambient. This is still well within safe limits but I haven't tried pushing further as I wouldn't like pushing any more voltage into it than that or raise my temps anymore. Ivy's tend to run into a wall around this point and it's really not worth trying to go higher.

The chip will adjust it's power consumption automatically but you still need to manually give it more juice past a certain point. It's the voltage offset you use to increase it yes. Here's a guide for sandys and ivys with asrock boards.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Intels rated max voltage for ivys is 1.52. I'd never go near that in a million years though. You would want lh2 for that anyway. I think 4.6 (+/-0.1) is a reasonable target with your setup.

Advertisement