Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education, Dublin!

• 04-02-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys!

I'm a TY student in a really big school in Kilkenny. I have recently been looking into going to the institute for 5th and 6th year. From what ive read, it sounds amazing! Not to sound cocky or anything, but i am intellingent, and I know that if i went to the institute, I would get an amazing LC! I hope to do a course requiring 590 points! :o

I just wanted to know people's opinions. Like, for 6,450 E per year, do you think it's worth it? The teachers do seem excellent! Most of them have written text books, some of them have gotten their students awards for the best result in the country.. Like that's outstanding!

How do I choose accommodation? I got a list from the institute but there's hundreds of names of it, in all ares of Dublin county. How do I know where to go? I'd love someone's help on this! And how much approx. does this cost?

Another main reason I'd love to go there is cos everyone is coming into a new school. Everyone is alone in some sort.. I wouldn't be the only person!

My final problem, as stupid as this sounds, I haven't really said this to my parents yet. Like, I mentioned it in passing once how i'd love to go there, but Idk how to bring it up with them... Any advice?

This would mean so much to me!
    Thanks guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're intelligent you'll get a good Leaving anywhere.

Do you think teachers in schools have not written text books?
    Do you think all the top points people in the country come from businesses like the Institute?

Let your parents keep their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

You're in TY and your username is Stressed.com. Something is wrong here.
    You can achieve without throwing your money at what is essentially a brand name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Methememb wrote: »
    You're in TY and your username is Stressed.com. Something is wrong here.
    You can achieve without throwing your money at what is essentially a brand name.

A successful brand tho - for owners and pupils!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'd rather keep my money in my pocket than spend it all on that place. Not worth it if you are intelligent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iliketomoveit

If I were you I'd just get the notes off the people who go at Christmas

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'd rather keep my money in my pocket than spend it all on that place. Not worth it if you are intelligent enough.

Of course it's not worth it if you are good enough to get 600 points in a state school. That is obvious.

But, if you're a 500-525 points student in a state school, a place like the IOE could make all the difference.

It is expensive though.
    But not a lot when you compare how much more a dentist makes in comparison to an engineer or teacher in the first year qualified.

When all is said and done, nobody will give you any points - the student must still earn every single point!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stressed.com.

590 is a load of points like.. :L I dont think ill be able to get that on my own..

At least your exploring all options to maximise your result.
    Best of luck stressed.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bubblysplash

Just wondering, I'm in fifth year at the moment and thinking about going to the institute in sixth year. Do people think it would be worth going just for sixth year or would you need to go for the two years? What if I have covered different topics to people in the institute, would I have to catch up on those chapters myself? thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

590 is a load of points like.. :L I dont think ill be able to get that on my own..

Then you won't get them in the Institute. It's not a magical points potion. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just wondering, I'm in fifth year at the moment and thinking about going to the institute in sixth year. Do people think it would be worth going just for sixth year or would you need to go for the two years? What if I have covered different topics to people in the institute, would I have to catch up on those chapters myself? thanks :)

They start from scratch on everything. It is an extremely intense year and, in my opinion, not worth the money you pay. If you are struggling in a subject the grinds are good (as they are in many other places).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

The amount of people I know who have left my school and gone to institute thinking they will get their points no bother there is ridiculous. Some are repeating there again, others had to give up there dream course, one guy I know is now studying in lithuania. Old freinds that have gone there have said its overated, not increadibly diffrent to our school.

Of course there are people getting high grades there but there usually the guys who have been always hard workers throught their years in education and probally don't even need the assitance of a teacher to get 625 points.

Its highly overated and their notes are not magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I got institute notes once and they were awful and vague and definitely not concise. You'd be paying ~13K, thats enough to get you through college almost...and all for what, a leaving cert? You still sit the same exams, you still have to learn the same stuff. If you're intelligent and motivated you'll get the grades, it's just a question of maybe spending some more time at it or getting grinds, but don't spend such ridiculous money on it. :eek:

Paying for individual grinds would be much more worthwhile.

I already do a grind in the institue and the teacher is 100 times better than my teacher in school. The main reason im thinking of moving is because i feel i waste so much time in school between having bad teachers and classes like religion, pe, careers and library, i would learn so much more by staying at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you not just do the 2 years in your school and if you don't get 590 repeat. I'm sure your hard working but I know a lot of people who can't handle the freedom in the institute and end up doing **** in the Lc.

If you work hard you'll get your points.

I would never ever repeat, ill get 590 points with or without the institute! :P Its not just because of points that i'm considering the institute though. I'm sick of my school, the teachers, pointless classes, the same cliques at lunch. I've been doing the same thing for the last five years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

It's an extortionate amount of money to pay for a Leaving Cert if you ask me. If you put the work in, and you're intelligent, you'll get the points no matter where you go to school. You could have the worst teacher in the world but if you're motivated enough you'll sit at home in the evenings and sift through the text book yourself. I don't have much experience with the place but the general consensus seems to be that it's overrated. If you're intelligent but feel you're too lazy to get your points, or whatever it is that has you considering the institute, it won't be any different up there. They might have better teachers and better notes (that's highly debatable) but it's only you yourself that can put in the work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If someone else had paid 6 grand for me to attend classes somewhere, you can be sure I'd work my socks off.
    Could I do the same elsewhere for free? Of course.

Mind you, if I'd paid 6 grand for something and didn't think it was worth it, I'd be morto that I had been so foolish and wouldn't exactly broadcast the fact.

Advertisement