Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and training.

Options
  • 04-02-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭

Always wondered about this. Will be getting tattooed again in March, I got my sleeve done last year and I was basically unable to use a gym for a few weeks due to the size of the tattoo, a full sleeve in 2 sittings was not a good idea.

Getting a chest plate done this time around and a small top up on my sleeve, I usually keep the tattoo wrapped for 3 days after and I don't exercise during that time, but I was wondering what is the ballpark timeframe for staying away from the gym/training after you get tattooed?

This is more a person to person thing so I am expecting a varied amount of answers.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I suppose it depends how intense you train?? I got a large back-piece done on Saturday and I did a 90 minute session this evening, using a bench, doing rows, doing sit-ups etc. But I'm by no means a hard trainer (at the minute) so I don't think it makes much difference. Why could you not train? Was it due to the wrapping? Just one opinion here, but you don't need to keep it wrapped for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I suppose it depends how intense you train?? I got a large back-piece done on Saturday and I did a 90 minute session this evening, using a bench, doing rows, doing sit-ups etc. But I'm by no means a hard trainer (at the minute) so I don't think it makes much difference. Why could you not train? Was it due to the wrapping? Just one opinion here, but you don't need to keep it wrapped for three days.

The first session on the sleeve was ok, I could do a few bits but I was more afraid of the sweating that early in the healing process. I sat for nearly 10 hours for the color, I was like leaper after it so I just waited.

I do train fairly intense, and I often get frustrated if I can't train at full whack or at least near it.

I'm hoping my chest plate won't be too bad and that I can do some stuff to keep me ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stonecutter01

If you train so much and intensely it would probably actually do you some good to take a week off anyway. I always find if I take a week of lifting weights I seem to come back stronger. When I got my sleeve done I didn't lift until it finished peeling as I was worried that it rubbing of clothes might be detrimental to it but with leg tattoo's I usually just do upper body. Having said that as long as you wash it after you should be grand, worst case scenario you need a few little touch ups

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah I was thinking that, I was concerned more about the movement, and there are no showers in the gym I'm in at the minute, but I am a short distance from the gym.

I might just hammer it for the next few weeks leading up to it and then take a few days off, once the clingfilm is off then ill just do easy stuff.

Advertisement