Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom in east Cork

• 04-02-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just had a lad on my doorstep offering me "up to" 24MB for a special rate of e35 per month for 6 months, going up to 55 for the 6 months after that. He sold me on the 1:1 contention rate and the fact that the exchange is less than half a mile away, so my speed will "probably" be in the range of 18-20. I'm currently on 8megs and getting 8megs most of the time.

All well and good, signed on the line, etc, but now for my 7 day cooling off period, I'm wondering what the reality of eircom is. This 1:1 contention rate sounds brilliant, and the price and speed are great, so where's the ymmv? I've currently got line of sight with a local crowd, and it's served me well although the 4gig daily download limit does hurt sometimes - the fair usage of 500gigs would also be a help.

So I'm not seeing any downside, but I'm sure there's some. I had a read through the talk to... forum and it seems like it's just the regular list of speed controls, etc that you'd get with any bb provider.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

he lied, or was an idiot. you will not have 1:1 contention ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Actually, if it's a NGB exchange and your line is good then it's a good product.
    It's over priced but I had it for a year and honestly never every dipped below the stated bandwidth. Every speed test I ever did show'd full speed and low pings.

I'm on a big city exchange so backhaul probably isn't much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

BArra wrote: »
    he lied, or was an idiot. you will not have 1:1 contention ratio

I don't doubt you at all, but the eircom site makes mention of this too:
    With Next Generation Broadband (NGB) you will not be sharing your broadband connection with other Internet users. Therefore even at peak hours of the day you will receive a consistent speed and experience with your eircom NGB product.
    If it's on the internet, it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

corblimey wrote: »
    Just had a lad on my doorstep offering me "up to" 24MB for a special rate of e35 per month for 6 months, going up to 55 for the 6 months after that. He sold me on the 1:1 contention rate and the fact that the exchange is less than half a mile away, so my speed will "probably" be in the range of 18-20. I'm currently on 8megs and getting 8megs most of the time.

All well and good, signed on the line, etc, but now for my 7 day cooling off period, I'm wondering what the reality of eircom is. This 1:1 contention rate sounds brilliant, and the price and speed are great, so where's the ymmv? I've currently got line of sight with a local crowd, and it's served me well although the 4gig daily download limit does hurt sometimes - the fair usage of 500gigs would also be a help.

So I'm not seeing any downside, but I'm sure there's some. I had a read through the talk to... forum and it seems like it's just the regular list of speed controls, etc that you'd get with any bb provider.
    You're currently with nova networks yeah? I'd recommend staying with then if you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

It's over priced but I had it for a year and honestly never every dipped below the stated bandwidth. Every speed test I ever did show'd full speed and low pings.

Can I ask why you're no longer with them?
    Dazza wrote: »
    You're currently with nova networks yeah? I'd recommend staying with then if you are.

Yeah, it's Nova I'm with. No problems with them, offering 8megs, getting 8megs, but like I said, the 4gig limit does mean I need to watch myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I switched to the Sky Trial. €10 a month vs €60. The service is the same over the same phone line. If your Eircom Line is capable of 18 Mbit on a NGB exchange then I would be confident in recommending the product.

But your line quality is the unknown quantity at the moment.
    It's the in fashion thing to do to come on and slate Eircom, just putting my side across and in 12 months it has been 100%. I've no particular love or loyalty for them but I couldn't fault the product.

Advertisement