Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pothole thread

Options
  • 04-02-2013 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all :)

Going to see if this takes off (probably will end up on it's arse or mostly me posting :pac:)

Basically, why not put up pics of potholes you encounter? It might portray which county has the worst roads, the quickest repaired etc.

For example, this example is down the road from me. I must take pictures of the rest...
    Image400_zps8d50e576.jpg

I've given going that way as a result

And, to get it all out of our systems... :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

A big sign "The worst road in the EU" is up the road from me. Will take a few pics and stick em' up here.

Never actually drove up there, half afraid my crappy suspension wouldn't be able for it.

That road in the above pic is fairly shocking, but not uncommon unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

big-pothole.jpg

city-pothole.jpg

spring-potholes.jpg

accident-pothole.jpg

funny-pothole.jpg

biggest-pothole.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I call shenanigans on that last one. Its clearly a tunnel to the centre of the earth and not a pothole at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Image401_zpsd49fef7f.jpg

Here's a recently refurbished R road, falling to bits in places already
    Image402_zps1d4d4da4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

dgt wrote: »
    Hello all :)

Going to see if this takes off (probably will end up on it's arse or mostly me posting :pac:)

Basically, why not put up pics of potholes you encounter? It might portray which county has the worst roads, the quickest repaired etc.

For example, this example is down the road from me. I must take pictures of the rest...
    Image400_zps8d50e576.jpg

I've given going that way as a result
    I think we should just keep it irish, there is no shortage of examples out there and we may get noticed by a newspaper and get some of the monstrodities repaired.

• Advertisement

I think we should just keep it irish, there is no shortage of examples out there and we may get noticed by a newspaper and get some of the monstrodities repaired.

Yep that's the plan! Those pics are the road I live on, I can get plenty more of other examples on that road :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

No picture to post and will be tough to get one as its such a busy road but the road from Kilshane cross to Northwest Business Park - Cappagh Road in Finglas,Dublin is up there with pot holes,groups of solid covered shores containing up to 4 and 6 plates surrounded by potholes leaving the shores/plates at an uneven level. Horrible uneven-ness of the general road surface and unlit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Yep that's the plan! Those pics are the road I live on, I can get plenty more of other examples on that road :eek:

Are there cattle herded along that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

IPhone009_zps4421b2f5.jpg

IPhone003_zps8876d3c5.jpg

Two doozies down on the Canal Road between say Sallins and Mondello........they are breeding down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

FR85 wrote: »
    IPhone009_zps4421b2f5.jpg

IPhone003_zps8876d3c5.jpg

Two doozies down on the Canal Road between say Sallins and Mondello........they are breeding down there.

Jaysis... they could really do some damage. Why are Irish roads so bad? :(

• Advertisement

dutopia wrote: »

My theory is they want us to use the motorways and thus neglect the main roads as a result. That seem to be the way with the M3 and old N3.

Also just sheer neglect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Country bankrupt and all the huge and overpriced tax(motor tax, VRT, Vat etc) and still nothing done.

mitosis wrote: »
    Are there cattle herded along that road?

Thankfully not since the early 2000s :)
    Country bankrupt and all the huge and overpriced tax(motor tax, VRT, Vat etc) and still nothing done.

Even in the god times the one man band road repair truck was a rare sight and spent about 1 minute per pothole. The roads fell to bits the minute rain hit it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Thankfully not since the early 2000s :)

Even in the god times the one man band road repair truck was a rare sight and spent about 1 minute per pothole. The roads fell to bits the minute rain hit it :(

Always brings me back the council man and a shovel and boots jumping up and down.

Also reminds me of the Irish Pride bread ad :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

dutopia wrote: »
    I don't think they were built properly to begin with. Just a layer of big stones covered with a layer of smaller stones, then a layer of tar. I think a lot of the problems with Irish roads goes all the way to the foundations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I don't think they were built properly to begin with. Just a layer of big stones covered with a layer of smaller stones, then a layer of tar. I think a lot of the problems with Irish roads goes all the way to the foundations.
    What foundation's :p
    as you rightly point out a huge amount of roads are old bohreens with some stones and tar thrown down......and not in any particular order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

On a road near me somebody took to spraying white road marking paint around potholes that were getting out of hand. A few days later the holes were filled, but 3 months later they are mostly open again! I must take a few pics.
    Good thread dgt.

bcmf wrote: »
    as you rightly point out a huge amount of roads are old bohreens with some stones and tar thrown down......and not in any particular order.

I think you are right on this, the major problem with the pot holes I pictured are, right beside the canal you get a mist and that freezes.....like every other situation but I think it hits roads beside canals and rivers a bit worse.....

bcmf wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. The road itself is spreading under the load. No amount of tar is going to fix that. The whole road probably needs to be dug up and built again.

There are another couple of things that would help with the roads. The first is a bit of planning. Usually when you see a section of fresh road surface, inside of two weeks you'll see someone along to dig a hole/trench in it. If this was planned, then they could have done whatever needed to be done before the road was finished. The second stems from the first; the amount of holes/trenches that aren't finished properly. One of the basic rules in life is that you should put back things the way that you found them. For some reason this doesn't apply to roadworks. Apparently it's acceptable to leave a road with a series of depressions, bumps and hollows in them. I wonder if the council does any inspections when roadworks finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Discussion re potholes on Matt Cooper show this evening

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    Discussion re potholes on Matt Cooper show this evening

I think we can all discuss them all we like, the simple fact of the matter is they won't be sorted for quite some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On after the 6 pm news/sport headlines.

FR85 wrote: »
    I think we can all discuss them all we like, the simple fact of the matter is they won't be sorted for quite some time!

Ahem:
    shedweller wrote: »
    On a road near me somebody took to spraying white road marking paint around potholes that were getting out of hand. A few days later the holes were filled
    I'm not saying that will work all the time but it does work sometimes.

picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=14627
    Doesnt look much there but the right hand edge is sharp and almost equals the tyre height. It has been refilled twice! By monkeys!:pac:
    picture.php?albumid=2339&pictureid=14626

For some reason, the light has eliminated shadows so it's hard to see the depth of this one too. I'll try again with a ruler or cd for scale. Both these holes have been refilled before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Jarren wrote: »

accident-pothole.jpg

biggest-pothole.jpg

These are possibly the worst two photoshops I have ever seen. Ever

I think the first one is due to liquefaction during an earthquake. The second is one of a few that have happened in recent years. Prolonged heavy rain flowing through an underground river eroded the ground so much so that it collapsed. The stuff of nightmares for those unfortunate enough to fall in when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sinkholes.

shedweller wrote: »
    On a road near me somebody took to spraying white road marking paint around potholes that were getting out of hand.
    I think the council do that. They send a spotter before the dude with the tar truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Is it true that the best way to rectify a pot hole is to phone the council and say you've just had an accident due to a pot hole?

I remember as a pedestrian, a neighbour did this (after a genuine accident) and they were out within hours filling it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Hit a pothole over Xmas and it snapped a wishbone in half.
    Driveshaft popped out naturally... Couldn't budge the car and had to get towed.

Advertisement