Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pothole thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

The County Council will do something alright try to get the Guards to press charges when you put a video of the pothole on YouTube.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pothole-swimmer-avoids-getting-into-hot-water-with-gardai-over-dip-222523.html#.URukenXM_KY.facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Is it true that the best way to rectify a pot hole is to phone the council and say you've just had an accident due to a pot hole?

I remember as a pedestrian, a neighbour did this (after a genuine accident) and they were out within hours filling it in.
    I think that the law has been changed so that they're no longer liable and this doesn't work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Does anyone drive in and out of Parkwest from say Cloverhill Prison/Liffey Valley? The famous red speed ramps that caused issues the country over are in bits and nothing has been done. They are actually lethal...........
    I know they are not potholes as such but it's not just potholes that has the raods in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

FR85 wrote: »
    Does anyone drive in and out of Parkwest from say Cloverhill Prison/Liffey Valley? The famous red speed ramps that caused issues the country over are in bits and nothing has been done. They are actually lethal...........
    I know they are not potholes as such but it's not just potholes that has the raods in bits.

I drive over them everday, The very first ramp is unbelievable and I actually stop and go over it as slow as possible :mad:

carzony wrote: »
    I drive over them everday, The very first ramp is unbelievable and I actually stop and go over it as slow as possible :mad:

The first ramp is actually getting better......as all the **** breaks away from it, it the one after it and the one at the train station that irritates me! They are wishbones, CV's and subframe nightmares waiting to happen mate. I have been onto Parkwest about them but after the hotel it's out of their area..........

• Advertisement

The first ramp is actually getting better......as all the **** breaks away from it, it the one after it and the one at the train station that irritates me! They are wishbones, CV's and subframe nightmares waiting to happen mate. I have been onto Parkwest about them but after the hotel it's out of their area..........

I just avoid them now, i have to drive a bit longer but f,uck it :rolleyes:

I just avoid them now, i have to drive a bit longer but f,uck it :rolleyes:

You are actually right to, they are a nightmare..........

The 30th Annual St Patrick’s Day parade in Athboy, Co Meath, has been cancelled due to potholes along the route, organisers have said.

The parade was to have featured 50 floats and bands, but cannot go ahead because insurers said the route was not safe.

Parade committee secretary Aideen Andrews said the town was an absolute disgrace with potholes.

She said when organisers re-examined the route two weeks ago it had deteriorated further.

They contacted their insurers and were told not to go ahead.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0221/1224330312068.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

^^^^^^^
    Well isn't that something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

cisk wrote: »
    The 30th Annual St Patrick’s Day parade in Athboy, Co Meath, has been cancelled due to potholes along the route, organisers have said.

The parade was to have featured 50 floats and bands, but cannot go ahead because insurers said the route was not safe.

Parade committee secretary Aideen Andrews said the town was an absolute disgrace with potholes.

She said when organisers re-examined the route two weeks ago it had deteriorated further.

They contacted their insurers and were told not to go ahead.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0221/1224330312068.html

Oh well suppose the only thing that can be done is go to the pub and go out and fall into one of the holes they will be patched up so quick;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

St Patrick's Day parade is cancelled in Athboy due to potholes RTE covered it also

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0220/3490356-st-patricks-day-parade-is-cancelled-in-athboy-over-potholes/

You are actually right to, they are a nightmare..........

I passed by them today, They have actually started to fix them :D:D

St Patrick's Day parade is cancelled in Athboy due to potholes RTE covered it also

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0220/3490356-st-patricks-day-parade-is-cancelled-in-athboy-over-potholes/
    I've never heard of this happening before. Thats a lot of hoo haa over something thats been here as long as roads have.
    Anyone?

Dropped an email to the Department of Transport earlier this week regarding the state of the Kilshane road.

I passed by them today, They have actually started to fix them :D:D

That they did and they also done the other ones I pictured further up in this thread............I say one more frost though and we'll be back at the start!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

shedweller wrote: »
    I've never heard of this happening before. Thats a lot of hoo haa over something thats been here as long as roads have.
    Anyone?

The road through Athboy is extremely uneven and whilst there are fewer potholes than norm, wagons and floats might flop about everywhere, get stuck, injure someone etc. The various people marching through the streets might get hurt due to the condition of the road

A good decision not to hold it imo

Ah no, i'm agreed on that. So the road has never been as bad then? Thats saying something isn't it! That the road is worse than it was in the 80's, 70's, etc.

Do they have a St. Patrick's parade in Kingscourt? Last time I was there, the entire main street was a pothole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Do they have a St. Patrick's parade in Kingscourt? Last time I was there, the entire main street was a pothole.

They repaired the bit between the two round-abouts a few months back. It's still pretty bad at each end.

We've loads of money. We're just giving it to the wrong people. As usual.

• Advertisement

I received the following responses regarding the Kilshane Road.
    Dear monkeypants

Thank you for your recent enquiries about the condition of Kilshane Road.

Our Area Engineer has reported back that Surface Restoration/Road Reconstruction works have been included in the 2013 Programme of Works. While a start date has not, as yet, been finalised, the works will not commence until after the completion of the N2/N3 Link Road. It is proposed that the works will take place during late Summer/early Autumn. Up to the commencement of the works any essential road maintenance will be undertaken by the Operations Department.

Kind Regards

Xxxx Xxxxxx | Senior Staff Officer
    Castleknock Mulhuddart Operational Area | Fingal County Council | Civic Offices | Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
    Dear Mr. Monkeypants

I refer to your email of 27th February 2013 in relation to the Kilshane Road.

Firstly, I would like to explain that the improvement and maintenance of regional and local roads is a statutory function of each road authority in accordance with the provisions of Section 13 of the Roads Act 1993. The carrying out of works on these roads is a matter for the relevant local authority to be funded from its own resources supplemented by State road grants. The selection and prioritisation of road works is also a matter for the local authority.

However, in order to be of assistance, I have made enquiries with Fingal County Council and I understand that surface restoration/road reconstruction works for this road have been included in the Council’s 2013 programme of works. While a start date has not, as yet, been finalised, it is proposed that the works will take place during late Summer/early Autumn. Up to the commencement of the works, any essential road maintenance will be undertaken by the Council’s Operations Department.

Should you require any further information, you may wish to contact Fingal County Council directly on 8905000 or roads@fingalcoco.ie

Yours sincerely,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx

Roads Division
    Dept. of Transport, Tourism & Sport
    Tel: 01 234 5678

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Two doozies down on the Canal Road between say Sallins and Mondello........they are breeding down there.

My parents hit a pothole on that road the other night and it has damaged the rim. They had to replace the wheel and tyre.

Also has anyone driven over the speed ramps on the Old hill Leixlip recently.

I recall the speed ramp issue came up here before and it was shown that there are no standards wrt speed ramp shape etc.
    I meet a few from time to time and unless i almost stop and go over i hit the suspension hard. Even idling in second is too fast!
    Same old same old.
    Someone with the talent could do a sketch of a vigilante road repairer, captain pothole! Get enough "likes" and we could shame the govt into doing something!

Or maybe not. It was funny in my head, for a few seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pobtc

The roads in North Meath are really bad with potholes. This is Ardee side of Carlanstown, Kells.L68113. Loads of promises to fix now with election coming up. Phoned Meath Co. Council but they have No Money For Non Main roads?

Brownstown, Kentstown, Meath

What a nice stretch of road...
    Image428_zps5c5bc271.jpg

It couldn't get worse, surely not...?
    Image429_zpsda10395b.jpg

Silly me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

With the recent poorer weather all the potholes on my road have grown and some have sprouted a few babies too. So i'm having to adjust my racing line all the time! I find i always meet cars when i'm coming up to them too so i have to stop or pay god knows what in repairs!

Must take pics tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I think we should all cancel going for a NCT if the roads keep damaging the suspensions or they should be developing hovercraft car not electric hybrids.

Well, i photographed some potholes during my travels but i don't seem to be able to upload them here anymore.
    I suppose a description will have to do! Sharp edge with a vertical side of about 80 to 100mm depth. Base layer of stones about 30mm average size all over the road downstream from the hole. Hole diameter is about 700mm and growing. I'd love to do a timelapse on some of these but i simply don't have the time!
    My road has about 20 of these beauts and i spend about 200 metres of it on the wrong side of the road to avoid wrecking my car. As it is i have a set of anti roll bar bushes to install this weekend, provided i'm not going to get snowed on.

• Advertisement

What better way to spend the first decent day of the year then to go on a drive and potentially wreck my car on some lovely roads.... :(

These were taken on 3 different roads near Oristown, Meath. There was no point taking pics of every pothole as I would have hundreds of photos so I got some of the best ones. I shall shut up and let the pictures do the talking...

Image462.jpg
    Image463.jpg

This one was interesting. Whatever tractor milled the ditch out took a lump of the road with it too...
    Image464.jpg
    Image465.jpg
    Image466.jpg
    Image467.jpg
    Image468.jpg

Almost as wide as the car :eek:
    Image469.jpg

Almost scraping the ground....
    Image470.jpg

This one isn't a pothole but you can see where the pavement has failed rather badly
    Image471.jpg
    Image472.jpg

I just had to keep going until the road literally disappeared. That wasn't too hard
    Image473.jpg

My poor car and poor head :(

Advertisement