Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pothole thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pobtc

I live on a road like that Carlanstown side of the Bog. I avoid driving now if at all possible. It's so difficult driving on it, suffer from vertigo and this sets it off . It's never been soo bad. It's only 8 years since we built our house paying €3800 to open an entrance to this road. It would be a smoother journey across the field .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Pobtc wrote: »
    I live on a road like that Carlanstown side of the Bog. I avoid driving now if at all possible. It's so difficult driving on it, suffer from vertigo and this sets it off . It's never been soo bad. It's only 8 years since we built our house paying €3800 to open an entrance to this road. It would be a smoother journey across the field .

My own road is a disaster, either way is pothole infested. The longer way is marginally better.... The road keeps on getting repaired every so often, I can't understand why it keeps falling to bits :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I remember going on holidays with the family about 28 years ago to the isle of man. Yeah, groovy. Anyway, we noticed some blemishes on the road had spray painted squares around them. Next day, said blemishes had been cut out square and refilled to almost millimetre precision! We saw one hole being fixed and yes it was being cut with a con saw on wheels to a certain depth, refilled with the same subsurface material, whacked to firm it up and surfaced to the same finish as the road!

28 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

colm_mcm wrote: »

Cheers for the link!

My dad told me about that one. What an absolute sham :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

dgt wrote: »
    Cheers for the link!

My dad told me about that one. What an absolute sham :rolleyes:

Don't think it's a sham by any means.

Extract from link below with most important detail in bold:

It’s not about red tape and bureaucracy. It’s about common sense and taking reasonable safety precautions. Three different people from three different local authorities [Cork, Waterford and Kildare] have been killed in similar circumstances in the last 18 months.

jprboy wrote: »
    Don't think it's a sham by any means.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. These men decided to repair a road on the way home from another job, showing initiative. An inspector sees them, reports then and they get suspended :confused:

In all the years Meath coco have repaired the road I live on with the one man band they never once had warning signs up.

This sort of mentality shows a "think of the children" style of thinking. These men were making the roads a safter place, why did the inspector have to report them?

What a scummy thing to do that

dgt wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. These men decided to repair a road on the way home from another job, showing initiative. An inspector sees them, reports then and they get suspended :confused:

In all the years Meath coco have repaired the road I live on with the one man band they never once had warning signs up.

This sort of mentality shows a "think of the children" style of thinking. These men were making the roads a safter place, why did the inspector have to report them?

What a scummy thing to do that

Yes, they certainly showed initiative but put it into practice in an unsafe manner.

Yes, they were making the roads a safer place but, while in doing so, were also making it a less safe place for the duration of the work.

Hate to be repetitive but this is hugely relevant:

Three different people from three different local authorities [Cork, Waterford and Kildare] have been killed in similar circumstances in the last 18 months.

As for your opinion that "This sort of mentality shows a "think of the children" style of thinking", while I don't know if any of those killed in similar circumstances had children, I'm pretty sure they had loved ones who miss them dearly.

So, yes, do think of the children and all loved ones, friends, work colleagues.

Actually, if you're using the road in any way or working on it, one word will suffice:

THINK

Just so we're ok, dgt, I'm not having a pop at you. We can agree to disagree.

It's still stupid though. Was there any effort made to fix more potholes? I'd say hardly.
    Was there anything done to allow random potholes be repaired safely? Like changing a few words on a piece of paper lying in a filing cabinet somewhere so lads with a bit of initiative can just stop the truck, set up a few magic signs and maybe park the truck behind the pothole to act as a shield??

NO!!
    That would be the right thing to do. That would stop this useless going around in circles we keep doing!

Would i get in trouble for spraying white circles around pitholes? It seems to be all i can do because paying tax doesn't seem to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

This the same co.council that tried to get that young lad into trouble for swimming in a pothole?
    So there record for being over the top has precedented.

I have to agree the guys had materials left over from something else and decided it was a good idea to fix the road.

That line of 3 people where killed is similar to saying 3 people died while going for a Sunday walk.
    You don't have all the facts in the case above or the cases its being compared too.

Yeah every worker needs to think of safety but that is part of their job working on the roads. It doesn't say if they set up cones or anything else.
    So all we have is the biased line that its health and safety gone wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

shedweller wrote: »
    I remember going on holidays with the family about 28 years ago to the isle of man. Yeah, groovy. Anyway, we noticed some blemishes on the road had spray painted squares around them. Next day, said blemishes had been cut out square and refilled to almost millimetre precision! We saw one hole being fixed and yes it was being cut with a con saw on wheels to a certain depth, refilled with the same subsurface material, whacked to firm it up and surfaced to the same finish as the road!

28 years ago!

The Isle of Man does host a rather fast motorbike road race every year so the roads are very very well maintained

Fair enough jprboy, we shall agree to disagree.

What your post has taught me is a possible reason as to why the roads are in such a poor state: fear of the inspector....

coolisin wrote: »
    That line of 3 people where killed is similar to saying 3 people died while going for a Sunday walk.

Not at all similar. People going for a Sunday walk are generally free agents.
    These were employees on work time. They would all have received the appropriate training on the proper procedures for road works. If not, that in itself is very serious. Their employer has a duty of care to both them and all users of public roads in its jurisdiction. We lived long enough with the "Ah, shure, it'll be grand" attitude to health & safety in this country.

coolisin wrote: »
    Yeah every worker needs to think of safety but that is part of their job working on the roads. It doesn't say if they set up cones or anything else.

It is understood the workers in this case were shovelling tar from a digger bucket without warning signs, lights, or stop and go signs in place.

Source: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/claims-of-health-and-safety-gone-mad-as-trio-suspended-over-filling-potholes-226515.html

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The OH drove through a pothole last week and wrecked the tyre. This was near parkwest, just in front of the Kylemore Karting entrance. Wheel is now nearly a square shape from how bad the impact was. Couple of hundred worth of damage, looking like a new alloy. I pay tax for 4 cars, and they cant even fix local pot holes. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pothole2.jpg

Pictures should probably have something like a bottle of coke as a reference.

How do i upload pictures here? I used to be able but that service is now gone. Flikr?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

shedweller wrote: »
    How do i upload pictures here? I used to be able but that service is now gone. Flikr?
    I use photobucket and then just link to the picture. I don't know that you can really host images on boards.

Advertisement