Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Co owner wants to rent out room

• 04-02-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Quick question

Current situation has become a bit legal and lots of threats flying around.

2 siblings equally inherited mothers house, myself and partner have been living in home for past 8 months. Probate has just finished and want to put some closure on the home. Other owner will not budge on their valuation (won't go into he said she said things) but other owner is threatening to put a lodger (stranger) in the house against our wishes (willing to discuss rent but he's not). Can the other owner force this through?

Also we have a 6 month old which adds to the situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

joe316 wrote: »
    Quick question

Current situation has become a bit legal and lots of threats flying around.

2 siblings equally inherited mothers house, myself and partner have been living in home for past 8 months. Probate has just finished and want to put some closure on the home. Other owner will not budge on their valuation (won't go into he said she said things) but other owner is threatening to put a lodger (stranger) in the house against our wishes (willing to discuss rent but he's not). Can the other owner force this through?

Also we have a 6 month old which adds to the situation.

Are you renting the house? Or are you one of the siblings? Are you paying rent to the other person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Thanks for the response.

Probate was only sorted this week and the matter of rent came up since. I have spoken to a solictors and he said that back rent is not due as we were "caretaking" the home.

Just wondering is there any chance if he could go ahead and kind of sublet part of the house without the permission of the other owner. I dont think so as I presume any agreement with a tenant would need both owners to sign?

Speaking to solictor again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

joe316 wrote: »
    Speaking to solictor again today.

That's who you should be asking

Advertisement