Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virtual windows 95

Options
  • 04-02-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have old files on floppy disk made in windows 95. I cannot open them. is it possible to legally get virtual win 95. If I got a virtual 95 would i be able to open them.

The computer i have with the floppy is XP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

What's the file type?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

What's the file type?
    ms works word processing files, have works on the xp. But it will not open them.Someone said that as they were made on a win 95 computer i could open them on one

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Maybe they meant word 2.0 which would have been around in win 95 days?

Ignore that. Reread your last post properly this time!

How many files are you talking about?

Maybe they meant word 2.0 which would have been around in win 95 days?
    no it was works 4 actually

• Advertisement

Ignore that. Reread your last post properly this time!
    ??
    How many files are you talking about?
    several floppy disks

Google led me to this page:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001017.htm

Which has a link to a program for converting works 4 wps files to a format that you can open with versions of word from 2000 onwards

Google led me to this page:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001017.htm

Which has a link to a program for converting works 4 wps files to a format that you can open with versions of word from 2000 onwards
    ok thanks, i will try that but i have tried several programs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭briany

Assuming you have access to suitable Win95 installation material but not an older machine. Maybe installing it with some virtual machine software like VMware player or Virtualbox would be the way to go. This would give you access to a Win95 environment on a modern machine. This coupled with a connected physical floppy drive should get you there. Setting up Win95 in this way is a somewhat convoluted process involving some DOS trickery at the installation screens but there's video tutorials freely available. Hope this helps.

Advertisement