Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging With Dog

• 04-02-2013 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

How old does a dog have to be before I can take him jogging with me. My dog is roughly 7 months old. I'm not exactly sure what breed(s) he is, but he's something between a staff/jack russell/labrador. He's built like a tank already, but my gut feeling is that he's too young.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

I got a west Highland Terrier for my girlfriend/fiance and I started him jogging at about 5 months, best if you can find a park where he doesn't have to be on a lead so he can go at his own pace , our dog can easily ring a 10k now in about 50 mins not bad considering his legs are about six inches long, and he loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

My question is how !....our little pup thinks it's a game when you run and tries to nip ankles and legs. Any advice on how to stop this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I am pie wrote: »
    My question is how !....our little pup thinks it's a game when you run and tries to nip ankles and legs. Any advice on how to stop this?

I'm actually having an issue with my dog pulling on his leash, so I guess he just really enjoys moving forward. :)

I'm not much of an expert in this area, but is your pup walking properly on a leash yet? My guess is that if he's not used to moving on a leash he certainly won't know how to behave when you're jogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I started with my dog around 8 months, but short distances and I let him set the pace, I still keep the runs at around 3 miles and he's 10.5 months. He runs in a harness and out front slightly at a long lope, not canter movements.
    He's great on it, knows left/right/ stop/ wait/ leave and forward and he seems to like the 'job'. I always try finish a run with either a swim or a ball game, so that it's not all 'work' if that makes sense. He gets really excited now if he sees the harness and is ready to go the minute it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I wouldn't run with a dog unless they were over a year because of the impact on their joints.
    A dog that pulls on the lead is ideal to start jogging with IMO, that way you can easily train them to run in front of you not under your feet! I have a harness and a bungee line (that absorbs the shock), running with my dog he runs out in front of me and I call out directions when I want him to turn or stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'm actually having an issue with my dog pulling on his leash, so I guess he just really enjoys moving forward. :)

I'm not much of an expert in this area, but is your pup walking properly on a leash yet? My guess is that if he's not used to moving on a leash he certainly won't know how to behave when you're jogging.

No, she doesn't really pull on her leash as much as say last month. When she does, we stop walking and tell her to sit, don't start walking until she looks up, get's the odd snack (cheese!) if she walks well. Improving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Agree with other poster - the dog is still growing & is too young. Agility classes won't take digs under the age of 1 or 18 months for big breeds as it can damage their joints & leave them with arthritis in later years. My vet kept warning me to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Agree with other poster - the dog is still growing & is too young. Agility classes won't take digs under the age of 1 or 18 months for big breeds as it can damage their joints & leave them with arthritis in later years. My vet kept warning me to remember.

Agilty is much harder on dogs than letting your dog trot out ahead of you on a straight line for short distances, I assume the OP won't be sprinting or running long with a young dog. Even now 3 miles is less than half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I started doing some running with my springer at around 7mths, not much and in woodland areas mostly. But I regret it now as she has dodgy front legs that have gotten progressively worse over time and while they don't seem to bother her at all I'm guessing they will in a few years earlier than most dogs. She's great at orienteering, will sniff the flags out for me (although it's really the concentration of sweaty human scent she's sniffing out!) but it's mainly soft ground for her.

So, my other pup is now nearly a year & I haven't run with her yet. Decided to wait. Even then, it'll be softer ground rather than road/path. I wouldn't be doing a lot of road running with any dog tbh, it's tough enough on human joints!

My two love being out front so have a harness & bungee line. It's great, I feel like I'm flying instead of plodding :-)

Saw a lady out running around the busiest roadworks in Cork yesterday with her dog staying right by her side, no leash. I was a bit envious as I have the two most energetic excitable pair, not a hope could I trust them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

I started running with my cocker when he was about 1 years of age, personally I would wait until then as their joints etc. are still developing etc.

Also I give him salmon oil every day (a brand for dogs) which is great for his joints and will help minimise the damage.

I run 5K , 5 times a week now, he is nearly 8 and is still a fit as a fiddle!

I use a harness, a dog visi vest and a training lead, as the training lead clips onto the back of his harness and his actual collar, which reduces the pulling massively.

It’s great fun, he loves it!

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement