Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75% equine DNA found in meat products that had been sent from Poland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jacob T wrote: »
    Jayziz, between the 80% processed chicken "hot dogs", and 75% horsemeat "beef burgers". That's disgusting, I like knowing what I'm eating. Mad cow disease, avian flu, swine flu, horse burgers, foot and mouth disease, etc - why do we bother eating meat? You can sustain a very healthy and balanced vegetarian diet.

Get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bluewhitehoops

pmcmahon wrote: »
    What about semen? it's not human as such..

mmm i've not quite thought this through, As long I'm not eating human and semen I not too bother what my burgers are made of as long it taste nice and fill me up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

What I'm wondering is where did they get all the horses?

Do they park up their transit vans at very high jumps at horse races and hope for a stumble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

MadYaker wrote: »
    F*ck off with this sh!te seriously. I'm sick of hearing about horse burgers on the radio and seeing it on the front page of every news paper for the last 2 weeks. Go to a reputable butchers and buy real burgers not the sh!te ones for 99c in tesco bargain aisle and you won't encounter any horse DNA.

The thread title doesn't even make sense! 75% of horse DNA, does that mean 75% of a horses genome was found in a burger? Or that 75% of all horse DNA was found in a burger? :mad:

Well I don't pay attention to the media so it doesn't upset me like it upsets you, But you do have to ask if a beef burger is 75 percent horse meat, why are they calling it a beef burger. The question has to be asked and this carry on has to be dealt with.

If someone wants a beef burger it should be a beef burger. This planet is effin joke to be brutally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Seeiously if you go to Tescos and buy 12 burgers for 99c or whatever that frozen crap costs your lucky to be getting horse meat.
    Just like in all walks of life you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    Well I don't pay attention to the media so it doesn't upset me like it upsets you, But you do have to ask if a beef burger is 75 percent horse meat, why are they calling it a beef burger. The question has to be asked and this carry on has to be dealt with.

If someone wants a beef burger it should be a beef burger. This planet is effin joke to be brutally honest. I am seriously fed up with this lunacy with regards to everything these days.

emigrate to mars then.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

Who supplies mcdonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

MadYaker wrote: »
    F*ck off with this sh!te seriously. I'm sick of hearing about horse burgers on the radio and seeing it on the front page of every news paper for the last 2 weeks. Go to a reputable butchers and buy real burgers not the sh!te ones for 99c in tesco bargain aisle and you won't encounter any horse DNA.

The thread title doesn't even make sense! 75% of horse DNA, does that mean 75% of a horses genome was found in a burger? Or that 75% of all horse DNA was found in a burger? :mad:

this company has a contract with burger king and supermacs so its not just in frozen cheap burgers, you could have had one in Burger King or supermacs

Supermacs say so here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fast-food-chief-says-shop-customers-misled-219817.html
    Burger king is in the OP

Who supplies mcdonalds

Ronald,obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jacob T wrote: »
    Jayziz, between the 80% processed chicken "hot dogs", and 75% horsemeat "beef burgers". That's disgusting, I like knowing what I'm eating. Mad cow disease, avian flu, swine flu, horse burgers, foot and mouth disease, etc - why do we bother eating meat? You can sustain a very healthy and balanced vegetarian diet.

We are omnivores. It is the healthiest diet to eat a balance of both meat and plant foods.

You can source your meats very well and get high quality meat at that. These are processed foods, so it's not even a close reflection on the standard of all meat. I hate that pro-vegetarian mentality.

• Advertisement

this company has a contract with supermacs so its not just in frozen cheap burgers, you could have had one in supermacs

Horse meat to be fair,would probably be the best you'd get from supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Please don't reuse horse puns in this thread. I've had en hoof of them.

No really though, stop. Please.

Don't you mean whoah? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Who supplies mcdonalds

Not sure. Not on their website.

Its not Rangeland or Kepak who are the main suppliers of burgers to fast food places.

Kepak not implicated in horse meat affair. (yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't care that there was horse meat in it....What I want to know is why is beef so expensive in Ireland?

When I first got here I was told how much better it was and how they grazed in open fields of green and pooped Irish rainbows and didn't use hormones or steroids or anything else...and that the beef was tightly regulated and tracked from farm to plate.

And everyone told me it tasted much better for it.

I'll happily eat the unregulated mystery meat (that we've all been eating) but why can't I get it at a reasonable price?
    You remind me of an auld fella I know and when foot and mouth was in Ireland. He thought it was great the way these disinfectant mats were popping up all over the place and everyone was doing their bit dipping their feet to help stop the spread...until a few weeks in the price of Beef shot through the roof here as it was all being exported.

Ended up he couldn't afford abit himself for the Sunday dinner.

He swore if it ever came back he wouldn't be wetting the socks next time.:D

In all seriousness, this horse thing is no joke, these horses have been linked to an anti inflammatory drug that causes Cancer in humans, listening to this it sounds like it's the done thing to ship them abroad to have them slaughtered just incase the random checks may pick them up.

This is not being treated with the seriousness it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So we get beef from poland?

so much for "100% Irish beef" :rolleyes:

Who supplies mcdonalds

I know when I was in the industry 20 years ago, beef was sourced in Ireland, and to a good spec and then shipped in special bulk pallets to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Who supplies mcdonalds

smurfit cartons make the burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think there is a case for us the customer,
    we are supposed to be told on the boxes what ingredients are used in the burgers,

false advertising,
    wrong ingredients,

they were called beef burgers,
    and they are not beefburgers,

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

1ZRed wrote: »
    We are omnivores. It is the healthiest diet to eat a balance of both meat and plant foods.

You can source your meats very well and get high quality meat at that. These are processed foods, so it's not even a close reflection on the standard of all meat. I hate that pro-vegetarian mentality.

I hate the pro-"must eat meat to be healthy mentality" to be honest. The section of your post quoted in bold is quite an adventurous "fact" - given the once every year or 2 scandals/outbreaks/etc regarding meat.
    The short answer is a resounding yes; it has been conclusively proven through extensive worldwide studies by independent, highly respected international health advisory boards that a vegetarian diet is significantly healthier than one which includes meat and animal products. This is true for all ages, infant to adult, and includes pregnant and lactating women.

Studies have found a direct statistical correlation between decreased meat intake and increased health benefits. The chances of developing chronic diseases including high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary heart disease, obesity, kidney failure, osteoporosis and cancer, is markedly decreased among vegetarians and vegans by as much as forty percent. Along with this favorable news, chances for longevity might increase by some twenty percent. Owing to these benefits, health insurance companies commonly offer discount rates to vegetarians and vegans.

For decades, a common public misconception was that a vegetarian diet lacked protein. The meat industry began a series of promotional commercials with slogans such as “meat is real food,” implying a vegetarian diet was somehow lacking. As more information came to light about the benefits of being vegetarian, the public misconception changed. It then became, vegetarians can get enough protein, but it isn’t easy, which is equally untrue. Not only is it easy to eat a balanced diet, the idea that it requires special effort whether vegetarian or vegan is highly overstated.

The British Medical Association (BMA) was first to shed light on the many benefits of a vegetarian diet in a 1986 report. Based on a large volume of research, it concluded that vegetarians not only tend to have lower cholesterol, but also significantly reduced instances of coronary heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, certain types of cancers, gall stones and large intestine disorders.

The highly respected World Health Organization (WHO) offered their own findings on vegetarian and vegan diets in a 1991 report. WHO not only confirmed the results of the BMA and the China study, but also found that meat and dairy-rich diets promote other diseases as well, including osteoporosis or low bone density, and kidney failure. WHO went so far as to predict the cancer crisis the world now faces, based on the meat-rich dietary trends of Western nations. The report candidly faulted governments for public Dietary Guidelines that promote meat and dairy as necessary foods, urging more vegetarian-based policies where animal products are relegated to optional status.

About the same time as the previous studies were being conducted, The Oxford study was underway. Gathering data over a period that spanned an excess of 13 years and involved over 11,000 people, it not only confirmed lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and other diseases among vegetarians, but also found a 20% decrease in premature mortality rates. Simply put, if you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, you have a 20% better chance of living longer than if you eat meat, according to the study.

So there you are, I would trust the WHO, BMA and Oxford university (and several other) studies over your deluded ramblings - no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Who supplies mcdonalds

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Feeding-the-McDonald-s-giant-with-1.1-billion-beef-burgers-per-annumHigh-standards-from-biggest--15052.html

A mutlinational;, OSI, based in Scunthorpe, UK using Irish beef apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Thats it. I'm never eating another beefburger. I'm sticking to hamburgers and spiceburgers from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I must admit, a part of me is laughing at the the whole "Buy Irish" beef thing in stores now:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Aquarius34 wrote: »

If someone wants a beef burger it should be a beef burger. This planet is effin joke to be brutally honest.

There was no mention of horse meat. Its horse DNA they found, not the same thing. These burgers weren't 75% horse meat. Thats why I made the point that the title makes no sense and doesn't really mean much. But of course most people don't realise this.

To be honest I don't give a flying f*ck what meat is in my burgers as long its not human. They only time I eat cheap meat is at 3am after a feed of pints and I couldn't care less! I'm just of sick of it being in the media all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

1ZRed wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is where did they get all the horses?

Do they park up their transit vans at very high jumps at horse races and hope for a stumble?
    Huge oversupply of unwanted horses in Ireland, plenty slow racehorses are now entering the food chain.Because of these scandals, many factories are now unwilling to take horses,so they may end up being exported live to other countries. Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Change the title, nothing was found in burgers, it's even in the link. It was meat product that the company was suspicious about, called in the department and never used in the production of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Change the title, nothing was found in burgers, it's even in the link. It was meat product that the company was suspicious about, called in the department and never used in the production of anything.

fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its only the tip of a massive iceberg , and filler ingredients are used in many products that go way beyond the food industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I don't even understand the wording of that report. Found 75% equine DNA. Meaning 75% of the meat was horse? Or 75% of a horses genetic material was found in some meat...? Terrible journalism.

Either way if your happy eating beef a little horsemeat won't kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Just googled OSI. They're supplied by ABP food group apparently.

http://www.abpfoodgroup.com/aibp-wins-osi-mcdonalds-supplier-of-the-year-award-for-2011/

Silvercrest is one of their companies like.

http://www.abpfoodgroup.com/divisions/abp-convenience-foods/our-companies/

Think I'll stick to fillet o'fish for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

sfwcork wrote: »
    Why shouldnt we eat horse..other countries eat it and alot worse

I think you are missing the point. You can't brand and sell a thing as something it isn't.

Advertisement