Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone worked as a camp counselor in the US?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I've been accepted to work at an Arts summer camp in Maine. I'm so excited! I leave on the 18th of June, 5 days after my exams finish.

Anyone else heading over?

If you've been before where did you go and what was it like?
    I've heard lots of mixed opinion so far, some people loved it, others felt like slaves.

Did you go through a company? (Americamp, CCUSA, Camp America, Bunac, Camp Leaders etc)

I actually abandoned my company and applied directly to the camp and amazingly enough I got accepted.

I was wondering if I could do my J1 visa myself, is this possible? I've got my contract and everything now already. The camp is linked with a company, who do the visas and insurance.

They're looking for about €400, with flights and I'm looking to do a lifesaving course I could really do without paying the 400. Anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I met a guy last summer who was doing camp in Fryeburg Maine - nice part of the world but the camp was tough. (Bring mosquito spray!)

If they can give you visas and insurance for 400, that's a complete bargin, you should take it. On the open market, even the cheapest insurance is $100 a month, and the SEVIS fees for the J1 are at least $300.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MedHead

I've spent the past three summers working in a camp in New York. I've had an incredible experience each time, really couldn't recommend it highly enough!

In terms of the life saving course, check with your camp that its recognised as my RLSS course wasn't. Most camps will usually run a course before the start of the season.

You need an agency to sponsor the visa etc. usually you can get a discount on fees if you have a contract first.

If you've any questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SambaSoup

Any advice/links in terms of applying for jobs stateside?..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

SambaSoup wrote: »
    Any advice/links in terms of applying for jobs stateside?..
    Apply to a camp directly, you'll earn more money.
    Get the visa forms from embassy website.
    Use an agency if you want and it doesn't cost too much.

I worked on a camp for two summers in '03 and '04.
    Two of the best summers of my life. Nearly went back in '07 for another session.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hi, I've looking at working at a summer camp next summer. Any advice from someone who's been before and where did you go and what was it like?
    I've heard lots of mixed opinion so far, some people loved it, others felt like slaves.
    On people who have went before: Did you go through a company? (Americamp, CCUSA, Camp America, Bunac, Camp Leaders etc) or did you go independently contacting camps and did it that way? Any tips?
    Im a qualified lifeguard with Irish Water Safety so assume to get a lifeguard position I may have to do another qualification before travelling to the States or when I arrive? Can anyone give me more info on that?

• Advertisement

Anyone???

Apply to camp yourself. Helps if you know someone that worked there in the past.
    My interview via phone was about 45-60min

Hey,

I've worked at a camp in upstate New York for the past 4 summers! It's been an absolutely incredible experience each time. I can only speak from the experience I had and that of a few friends in other camps but generally it's really positive. There's no point lying the work load can be pretty intense and depending on the type of camp might involve some pretty antisocial hours. Working at camp is really one of those things where you get out of it everything you put in...it's a whole different world when you're there!

I applied directly to the camp my first summer and then went with BUNAC (they were cheapest at the time). There's a huge variety of camps out there so if you're applying directly make sure you look into the camp your applying for.

With regards to the agency you choose, if you're using one, shop around as the program prices change from year to year. There's also some decent discounts for applying early. They usually involve a pretty generic application form followed by an interview. The interviews are pretty much an chat to find out about you and try and match you to the camp that you would work best in.

If you have any specific questions feel free to give me a shout!

MedHead wrote: »
    Hey,

I've worked at a camp in upstate New York for the past 4 summers! It's been an absolutely incredible experience each time. I can only speak from the experience I had and that of a few friends in other camps but generally it's really positive. There's no point lying the work load can be pretty intense and depending on the type of camp might involve some pretty antisocial hours. Working at camp is really one of those things where you get out of it everything you put in...it's a whole different world when you're there!

I applied directly to the camp my first summer and then went with BUNAC (they were cheapest at the time). There's a huge variety of camps out there so if you're applying directly make sure you look into the camp your applying for.

With regards to the agency you choose, if you're using one, shop around as the program prices change from year to year. There's also some decent discounts for applying early. They usually involve a pretty generic application form followed by an interview. The interviews are pretty much an chat to find out about you and try and match you to the camp that you would work best in.

If you have any specific questions feel free to give me a shout!
    thanks for the advice
    I will def use an agency for next summer and am looking at CA mainly.
    As I said before im a qualified pool lifeguard so that should be beneficial in terms of getting a role. Any advice with regard to skills for getting a job. Im qualified coach in rugby(no use to a camp) and have coached and refereed games for past 2 years which should be of some help to my application.
    Would not mind anti social hours. wouldn't be an issue.

thanks for the advice
    I will def use an agency for next summer and am looking at CA mainly.
    As I said before im a qualified pool lifeguard so that should be beneficial in terms of getting a role. Any advice with regard to skills for getting a job. Im qualified coach in rugby(no use to a camp) and have coached and refereed games for past 2 years which should be of some help to my application.
    Would not mind anti social hours. wouldn't be an issue.

In general camps will only accept American qualifications but they usually provide the training free of charge to all staff! (Or at least any camp I've heard about) That said Pool Lifeguard is handy thing to have as it shows directors that you're likely to pass the American assessments. The fact that you have coaching experience is absolutely great, regardless of the sport and it should definitely stand to you!

At the end of the day the most important thing for both camp directors and parents is that the kids have a good time and are safe while doing so. Generally I've found the best counsellors are the ones who actually enjoy spending time with campers, not the ones who are the best coaches. Make sure you stress any and all experience you have with kids as this is what will really seal the deal.

• Advertisement

Anyone looking at going to US with CA not been able to get an interview yet. Anytime I check Im told no interviewers available. Tried email CA and got nothing back

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I've been looking online about applying to some J1 Summercamp programs but they are quite vague in terms of what work I would be expected to do and whether or not it would be paid work, and if so how much? I was wondering if anyone has any experience of it themselves and if so, what can they tell me? Any recommendations in terms of who I apply to? Pay is a big issue for me, I don't need a lot of money over there but I don't want to be broke either. I'd like to be able to enjoy myself when I get time off or get the opportunity to travel. It's a bit of a deal breaker. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Hi,
    I went and worked in a summer camp in Maine last summer and I'm returning again this summer. It was absolutely incredible, I can't wait to get back again. If you have any decent skills you can teach and love working with children you should definitely go.
    I applied directly to the camps (I just googled art camps in america and tons came up, but these loads of different kinds- girl/boy scouts/religious/sports camps/surf camps/fat camps/general).
    You need a company to help you through the visa process, even if you get a contract directly from a camp. But those companies are also great at getting you placed in a camp. I went though Wildpacks, but I've heard good things about Americamp and Camp Leaders. Check how much the fees are but generally theyre around €400 for that, plus another 100 for your embassy appointment and at least 500 for the flights over. Make sure you can deal with that.

My camp paid well, and I was a lifeguard so I got a bit more. My pay for the whole summer was 1800 dollars. I got every second evening off and one day a week off. This summer I'll get 2000 dollars. I'd say for the whole process (I also had to become a lifeguard which was expensive) I lost about 200 euro. But it was worth every penny. I spent all my money travelling around new york and boston. This year I want to go to burning man in nevada.

It never felt like work to me at all. I was in a cabin in the woods with 16-20 7-10 year old girls (I opted for the younger kids and it was a great decision- I was like a temporary mammy) with 2-3 other counselors. I taught art classes 5 hours a day and lifeguarded, it was sunny and I made friends for life.

Message me for more details/with any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gemiliena...

I have applied with campleaders and am at the second stage of interviews I am going first time too if anyone can share there information with me I have my fave to face interview this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gemiliena...

I am looking for information on anyone who has done this through campleaders.ie. I have never been before and I am at the second stage of interviews. I am wondering is it safe to go on my own , what camp life is like and if anyone has gone with camp leaders before it would be a huge help to hear some advice and someone's experience ??

I have applied with campleaders and am at the second stage of interviews I am going first time too if anyone can share there information with me I have my fave to face interview this week

Have you got loads of patience?

How are you dealing with homesick kids?

Do you work well with little rest and time off?

Your camper breaks his leg under your care out on horseback, what do you do?

A camper pissed his bed and the others can smell it and are asking questions. You need to get to flag raising before breakfast, what do you do?

Have you a vivid immigration?

It's lashing rain. All activities are cancelled. Your co is on time off, you have 8 campers in the cabin with your for the next 2hrs until the rain stops, what are you going to do?

Do you want to have an amazing summer?

Can you sing random songs with strangers?

Do you mind occasionally sleeping in the woods with no tent even though you have a fear of spiders and an ant just crawled up the nose of one of your campers?

Do you get on well with people? Can you work well with someone you don't like for two weeks and not show it in front of the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Hey I'm thinking of applying to do this myself. I've been looking at Wild Packs in particular. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, i've heard that some agencies take a cut of your salary on top of what you have already paid them... anyone know if that's true?

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Hey I'm thinking of applying to do this myself. I've been looking at Wild Packs in particular. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, i've heard that some agencies take a cut of your salary on top of what you have already paid them... anyone know if that's true?
    Don't use an agency. Apply to a camp directly.

The pay is poor as it is. Don't be worse off.

Don't know what the pay is now, but back in 2003 some of the agency international staff were getting $80-100 in the place I worked

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Rabies wrote: »
    Don't use an agency. Apply to a camp directly.

The pay is poor as it is. Don't be worse off.

Don't know what the pay is now, but back in 2003 some of the agency international staff were getting $80-100 in the place I worked

Cheers, I have heard that from a few people actually. The one i was mainly looking at says that your salary ranges between $1400 and $2500 depending on your role. I highly doubt many people get more than the minimum.

I've started looking directly into the camps as you suggest. Are there many drawbacks to going without the agencies in terms of insurance and stuff?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

Has anyone here ever done this program? I can't find any reviews online

• Advertisement

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Cheers, I have heard that from a few people actually. The one i was mainly looking at says that your salary ranges between $1400 and $2500 depending on your role. I highly doubt many people get more than the minimum.

I've started looking directly into the camps as you suggest. Are there many drawbacks to going without the agencies in terms of insurance and stuff?

Thanks!

Get your own insurance. Its what we did.

I worked at the SSYMCCA in Cape Cod for two summers.

Just bumping. I would of thought some one would of done something like this. Is there a better company to go with.

Anyone ever hear of the company camp leader

• Registered Users Posts: 6 siobhan nurse

Im going for the first time this summer with USIT. Passed my interview on monday so time for the long wait for a placement!!anyone have any experiences with using USIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

I have been a camp counselor for three summers at three different camps and am going back for my fourth summer now!!Camp is an addiction for me and its the kind of exerience you only fully appreciate when you arrive home!!Yes you need an agency to sponsor your visa i have used three different agencies in my time, wild packs ACAWE AND campleaders, all agencies work out ta the same price usually, even if one agency is less expensive at the outset it balances out at the end, but yes you will get more if you find a camp yourself first. Campleaders is the best agency if its your first year going etc they are extremely supportive and put you in contact with other applicants so you dont feel alone. They also make the whole process really easy and have a great spirit!!I also work for the company now and cannot recommend them highly enough. ACAWE is not too bad either although they dont have offices in Ireland which is annoying. Wild packs...I wouldnt rate them very highly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Just finished A levels so i'm on a gap year. Wanted to travel to America again but this is the only option really tbh.

However, i'm quite introverted and anxious. I don't want to go all the way over there and then not like it and be stuck there for months.

I don't want responsbility for children and would rather just travel. There is the campower position but then how hard is that?

Obviously you are paid and its not expensive.

Has anyone been to these camps? What is the opinion for a quiet person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CaoimheSadhbh

Hi all, I'm really interested in going to America next Summer to work at a Summer Camp and I was wondering has anyone had any experience? I've been looking at Camp Leaders, has anyone any info on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭flynn2426

Hi guys, me and my girlfriend are thinking of going to new York for 3 months in the summer and considering summer camp jobs i.e coaching, just wondering anyone how would I go about applying for a summer camp position, also visa wise what would I do, also any one done it before what's it like pay wise, any info appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭flynn2426

MedHead wrote: »
    I've spent the past three summers working in a camp in New York. I've had an incredible experience each time, really couldn't recommend it highly enough!

In terms of the life saving course, check with your camp that its recognised as my RLSS course wasn't. Most camps will usually run a course before the start of the season.

You need an agency to sponsor the visa etc. usually you can get a discount on fees if you have a contract first.

If you've any questions give me a shout.

Hi, I was just wondering would u have any advice on applying for a summer camp in new York/good camps to apply to? Also what's the money like any info would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

So I applied for Camp America on a whim the other day and I have been invited to the open day thing to find out more about it. Firstly, I'd love to know what it's all about. The people on the phone seemed ridiculously keen which made me suspicious.

Has anyone ever been on Camp America before that could enlighten me about this programme?

How much does the trip cost in total?

Is it worth your money?

Thanks in advance,
    plmko :)

Advertisement