Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a 2nd WHV?

Options
  • 04-02-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Question relates to the work involved, im planning on heading over there in the near future with the girlfriend and hopefully if things go good we'll try and extend our stay into a 2nd visa, im a chippy and would hopefully get the required 88 days but the girlfriend is a beauty therapist, I know that's not on the specified work list , so what type of work would be suitable, would she get hired on the fruit picking farms and such, and is it very labour intensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Something like this is good for women (nothing implied), it's better than picking fruit and pays better, I think each state has their own recognised system and would need to be done before heading anywhere to remote.

http://www.tcptraining.com/TrafficControl/StopSlowBatBlue/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Don't rely on carpentry getting you through your 88 days unless your doing Formwork out on a bridge out in the middle of no where

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Maybe consider doing farm work during harvest of seeding, both of you driving machinery or maybe herself doing the cooking etc. If you get a decent farmer he will sign her off for driving machinery as cooking isnt "specific work"

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

Neither of you will have any hassle getting your specified work if you aren't scared to get your hands dirty! I had never worked on a farm before, and neither had any of the girls (or most of the boys either!) who were in my working hostel while I was doing my farmwork. I packed apples, and others picked apples and various other fruits and veg. I shared a room with a social worker, a beauty therapist, a hairdresser and a nurse.
    As long as you're either employed by a legit and decent farmer or get into a good working hostel ye'll be sound. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going down the cooking or housekeeping route, try get into a working hostel instead and take the experience as it comes. I had some of my best times in my two years here while doing my 88 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

gabberific wrote: »
    Neither of you will have any hassle getting your specified work if you aren't scared to get your hands dirty! I had never worked on a farm before, and neither had any of the girls (or most of the boys either!) who were in my working hostel while I was doing my farmwork. I packed apples, and others picked apples and various other fruits and veg. I shared a room with a social worker, a beauty therapist, a hairdresser and a nurse.
    As long as you're either employed by a legit and decent farmer or get into a good working hostel ye'll be sound. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going down the cooking or housekeeping route, try get into a working hostel instead and take the experience as it comes. I had some of my best times in my two years here while doing my 88 days!
    Thxs for the response, great to get different inputs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

tonydude wrote: »
    Thxs for the response, great to get different inputs :)

Good luck with it, and just make sure to give yourself lots of time to get it done :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement