Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion: seat question

• 04-02-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

HI all, we had a Reimo family bench seat in our old T4 conversion- we are just about to fit it into a newer primastar conversion, but the engineer in our area who does the engineers report says we need a certificate for the seat. Any ideas? Its a fairly basic rock and roll seat, so I dont think it crash tested, but I could be wrong (its about 8 years old now, so I cant find the orginal spec for it). Any advice appreciated. We have four kids, so we need a full width bench seat in the back,a s wella s three seats up front.

Thanks
    E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

ejlc wrote: »
    HI all, we had a Reimo family bench seat in our old T4 conversion- we are just about to fit it into a newer primastar conversion, but the engineer in our area who does the engineers report says we need a certificate for the seat. Any ideas? Its a fairly basic rock and roll seat, so I dont think it crash tested, but I could be wrong (its about 8 years old now, so I cant find the orginal spec for it). Any advice appreciated. We have four kids, so we need a full width bench seat in the back,a s wella s three seats up front.

Thanks
    E

Reimo should send you the documentation if can identify it to them however considering the number of campers on the road with plywood and chipboard seats and lap belts I wouldn't think it was necessary. Unless its one of those timber ones with two hinges.
    Sounds like he just wants an easy life. It may be because the anchorages are attached to the frame he's not happy about. There are pretty clear guidelines on anchorages and reinforcing from the rsa so an engineer should be happy to make a judgement or recommend reinforcing. I'd say if you take it to the nearest nsai place that does bus testing they look at retrofitted seatbelts to tubular/plywood frames all the time.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Std%20Leg/Safety%20belts/Guidance_Note_Appendix3_website.pdf

List of approved centers here:
    http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Automotive-Certification/Type-Approval/Approved-Test-Centers.aspx

Advertisement