Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying a BMW E39

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm hoping to buy a BMW 5 series e39 sometime this year as a second car for hobby/leisure. I have been looking at different websites and I think 520 m sport, 2000 to 2003 is what I'm interested in. Any advice or pointers to look out for when buying.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Petrol or Diesel ? manual or auto ?

Dont know about the 520i tbh but the E39's might be a bit old fashion now but they are a really nice car to drive.

The things to look out for on them is
    the cooling system - check the plastic impeller water pumps as they can fail, the rads crack around the top hose stub.
    auto gearbox check to see it goes thought the gears smoothly and check the sports mode and the gearshift.
    head gasket - check water pump and rad
    abs modules if light on could be a sensor or the ecu ****ed, can also affect the automatic gearbox
    and swirl flaps.

Driving one well they are bigger then the E46 and it takes a bit off getting use to, if you get a viberation thought the steering wheel means you need your wheels balance and more likely bushings. the auto gearbox is lovely and smooth imo but haveny driven a manual one

Also if your buying one get it read by a scanner and looked over by someone who knows bmw's

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sgds

I'd say petrol because I think I'd have to go up in cc's for a diesel. I'd need to have low tax as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sgds wrote: »
    I'd say petrol because I think I'd have to go up in cc's for a diesel. I'd need to have low tax as well

Best of luck with that.

>00 520i is 2.2L = €951 / year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hi,
    I'm hoping to buy a BMW 5 series e39 sometime this year as a second car for hobby/leisure. I have been looking at different websites and I think 520 m sport, 2000 to 2003 is what I'm interested in. Any advice or pointers to look out for when buying.

Usual things would be suspension. ABS pump module. Will be hard to find a clean one. Most of them will 2.2L.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

ronaneire wrote: »
    Usual things would be suspension. ABS pump module. Will be hard to find a clean one. Most of them will 2.2L.

The suspension is ok in the E39's i be more concerned in the bushings, control arms etc

• Advertisement

Plenty of good value with E39's at the moment but that mostly because they are big engine petrols.

Here is a pretty comprehensive buying guide http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/18128-e39-buying-guide/

A 525i is probably the best compromise.

Looking on done deal and there seem to be a few 02-03 one for sale which look very clean, all the extras leather seats etc. They are going for reasonable money.

Would there be a better choice from the uk? Roads seem to have a lot less pot holes there!

I was interested in something like this one.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4197831

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That colour might not be for everyone, but I actually quite like it. My dad had an e39 in the same colour, his wasn't MSport though! Nice wheels too.

I would avoid UK imports tbh...plenty of pretty well spec'd irish cars around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

She looks plenty clean, I like it!

Always wanted and E39 so i can see myself at some stage buying one. luxury smooth drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 seandive

Checkout e39 520i oil burning issues.
    it will point you in the direction of checking the CCV and potential leaks. The car can look great, but the oil burning issues can break your heart and wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

seandive wrote: »
    Checkout e39 520i oil burning issues.
    it will point you in the direction of checking the CCV and potential leaks. The car can look great, but the oil burning issues can break your heart and wallet.

I'll second that..currently putting a litre in every 800 miles on a 2002 2.2..145k though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Would there be a better choice from the uk? Roads seem to have a lot less pot holes there!

Much better choice, and cars with better service history and better looked after. Downside is salted roads so expect corroded brake lines and suspension parts can be difficult to work on due to rust.

If you wanted a really good one I would be off to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Much better choice, and cars with better service history and better looked after. Downside is salted roads so expect corroded brake lines and suspension parts can be difficult to work on due to rust.

If you wanted a really good one I would be off to the UK.

Strong prices in the UK for old beemers due to their low tax rates, they are dirt cheep over here though for the same reason...But you get what you pay for and english cars are historically much better all round (spec,service history,roads)

Advertisement