Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Standing Order

• 04-02-2013 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Before I call the bank tomorrow, does anyone know if it is possible (I am with AIB) to set up an international standing order each month to an EU account.

As I need to help a family member out in Spain who is in finanicial difficulty but looking at the AIB website there is no mention if it can be done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, not at the moment. You would need to initiate a payment every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You can try asking them but, as Buffybot says, I think you are limited to manually doing one-off payments at the moment. SEPA is coming though, so you should be able to do this soon (probably by year-end)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jnicolau

Anybody knows which banks offer standing orders to other countries in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Salvation wrote: »
    Before I call the bank tomorrow, does anyone know if it is possible (I am with AIB) to set up an international standing order each month to an EU account.

As I need to help a family member out in Spain who is in finanicial difficulty but looking at the AIB website there is no mention if it can be done.

Either use another bank, or make a formal complaint. The SEPA regulations oblige banks to treat all SEPA accounts equally, which AIB don't do.

KBC and Bank of Ireland both treat all SEPA accounts identically.

Either use another bank, or make a formal complaint. The SEPA regulations oblige banks to treat all SEPA accounts equally, which AIB don't do.

KBC and Bank of Ireland both treat all SEPA accounts identically.

Thank you for the advice. Will be moving to KBC probably. Enough is enough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

This thread is almost four and a half years old (before SEPA was fully rolled out), so my previous post no longer applies. I'm sure you can easily set up a standing order to an EU country with AIB now (as with any bank).

I've never had to do it, so can't say for sure if it is available via online banking, but I just had a look and it certainly seems to suggest that it will work no problem.

Best bet is to try it (it will only take you a few minutes) and if you have any issues, AIB now have a "Talk to AIB" forum on boards where they can help you.

dotsman wrote: »
    This thread is almost four and a half years old (before SEPA was fully rolled out), so my previous post no longer applies. I'm sure you can easily set up a standing order to an EU country with AIB now (as with any bank).

I've never had to do it, so can't say for sure if it is available via online banking, but I just had a look and it certainly seems to suggest that it will work no problem.

Best bet is to try it (it will only take you a few minutes) and if you have any issues, AIB now have a "Talk to AIB" forum on boards where they can help you.

You may not be sure but I am. AIB doesn't support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

jnicolau wrote: »
    You may not be sure but I am. AIB doesn't support it.

I'm sure you've been told this but have you double checked this with AIB? Seems crazy they're nor complying with SEPA rules

368100 wrote: »
    I'm sure you've been told this but have you double checked this with AIB? Seems crazy they're nor complying with SEPA rules

Thank you for pointing out. I've tried and it did work. The confusion lies on the fact that the site doesn't support to set non-Irish payees and I always used to pick the receiver from my list of payees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

dotsman wrote: »

Actually BOI doesn't and its just a shambles. SEPA was supposed to make things easier. For love of god, I do not know why BOI is so backwards with everything. Same with Android pay.

Shambles

• Advertisement
Advertisement