Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hieveryone.

I’mhoping someone will be able to help me. My laptop keeps crashing and going to ablue screen before switching itself off. It displays the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here is my laptop spec:

Model: DELXPX L720X

Processor: Intel®Core™ i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHZ 2.50 GHZ

RAM: 8GB

SystemType: 64-bit operating system

The laptop keeps crashing every time I use Cubase LE 5 Lite orAbleton Live 8.0.9 Lite with my Akai EIE Pro audio interface and my Akai MPK25Midi Controller. This started to happen a while back when I bought the Akai EIEPro and loaded the drivers. Sometimes it works fine and other times the soundjust stops and I need to plug out the USB and plug it back in. Other times itcrashes to this blue screen which says among other things “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” before shutting down my PC. It’s gottenworse now that I have both the audio interface and midi controller plugged intomy Laptop via the USB Ports.

I downloaded an app called WhoCrashed which looks at the numberof times my Laptop has crashed and what the possible root causes are. They alllead to a USB 3.0 related driver called nusb3xhc.sys

Please see the output from WhoCrashed

Can anyone help? Has anyone seen this issue before? It ispreventing me from recording on my Laptop.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mick

Crashdump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:28:49 GMT your computercrashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-22261-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys(0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nusb3xhc.sys
    product: USB 3.0 Device Driver
    company: Renesas Electronics Corporation
    description: USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted toaccess pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be causedby a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this systemerror. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver:nusb3xhc.sys (USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver, Renesas Electronics Corporation).
    Google query: Renesas Electronics Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:28:49 GMT your computercrashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys(nusb3xhc+0xE2E7)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted toaccess pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be causedby a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this systemerror. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver:nusb3xhc.sys (USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver, Renesas Electronics Corporation).

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:02:00 GMT your computercrashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-44834-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys(0xFFFFF880063B92E7)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063B92E7)

On Sun 03/02/2013 20:53:09 GMT your computercrashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-42775-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys(0xFFFFF8800580E2E7)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800580E2E7)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try updating your chipset drivers, in particular the Renesas USB 3.0 host controller that appears to be crashing. Also try unplugging your USB devices, memory sticks, iphones, external hard disks etc. and see if the crashes stop. Does it only crash when you have plugged the audio thing in?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Thanks for the tip on whocrashed. http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Do you OC your PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭9fcdhzkx46apgr

@ Advertsfox - What is OC your PC??

@ Advertsfox - What is OC your PC??

They're asking if you overclock your machine?

I'd go with updating the USB 3.0 driver as a start. It'll be one of these two:

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/nec/divers/renesas_usb3_2.1.39.0whql(www.station-drivers.com).exe

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/nec/divers/renesas_usb_3.0.23.0(www.station-drivers.com).exe

• Advertisement

@ Yoyo I have unistalled and reinstalled drivers for root hub and the controller. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the my audio interface also. I haven't had a blue screen yet, but I'm the sound is only working through my audio interface every now and then. I'm getting nowthing consistent. Would it be a USB driver issue or the audio interface driver issue?

I think I'm starting to figure out what the real problem is. All the USB's on my laptop are 3.0 while this the Akai EIE Pro Audio Interface device which I bought only a few months back specifically says its for UBS 2.0 only. This may be the cause of this problem?

Yeah the drivers should be updated, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, so that shouldn't matter. It could be the Audio Interface device causing the crash, have you tried updating it's drivers? Also try unplugging all other USB devices except that, then see if it crashes. It could be a USB power issue

Nick

@ Yoyo, I thinks its the fact that the manufacturer refuses to support USB 3.0 for their audio interface product that I have. I updated my laptop last night with the latest drivers and this issue is still occuring. I wouldn't expect the power to be an issue as the interface is powered directly by an adaptor and not my laptop via USB

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Found this..might be of help

Code: 0x0000000A or 0x000000D1

Cause: Contrary to the message, this error doesn't have anything to do with IRQ. The error is caused by the Windows kernal, or more commonly, a driver, attempts to access memory that it does not have permission to access. You should be considering the drivers which you have installed, or not installed as the case may be. If you have recently performed an update to your driver(s) and weren't experiencing the problem before doing so, that will more than likely be the cause of your problem. Are all of your drivers certified to work with windows also? If they aren't, you will usually receive a message upon installation from windows warning you that the driver didn't have certification.

There is also an instance where the stop error may come up due to a bad sector in the page file, relating to a fault with the hard drive.

Fix: Either:

1. Reinstall your drivers. The most common cause are video drivers, chipset drivers, peripheral drivers (mice, keybords, printers/scanners etc) and sound drivers. Begin by reinstalling the drivers for those 3 components, ensuring that you fully remove the old ones first. If you have a prebuilt system, these will either be on a disc which came with your computer, or obtainable from the manufacturer's website

2. Run the windows repair tool. This is on your windows installation disc, or, if you have a prebuilt computer, there is usually either a disc that came with the computer with this on, or a button to press at boot up to enter their own repair tool. Refer to your computer manual for how to do this.

3. If none of these work, run your hard drive manufacturers utility for checking your hard drive. You will have to go to your specific manufacturer's website, as each have their own specific piece of software for their drives. If it throws up any problems, your hard drive is at fault and will need to be replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Most probably the Audio thingy driver issue once other USB devices are working fine?

Try to run drivers installation package in a compatibility mode of some other version of Windows?

Have you tried different USB ports?
    I've got game pad which works only in 1 port and not in other 5.

freestyla wrote: »
    Most probably the Audio thingy driver issue once other USB devices are working fine?

Try to run drivers installation package in a compatibility mode of some other version of Windows?

Have you tried different USB ports?
    I've got game pad which works only in 1 port and not in other 5.

This would be my guess as well. Sloppy drivers for the audio interface are probably to blame. USB 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with 2.0, so this isn't the reason.

Nick

@ Yoyo & freestyla
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I have done thos.
    I'm just after finding this piece of info from Dell which I'm going to work through

Two USB 3.0 Devices Cannot be Attached at the Same Time

Two USB 3.0 Devices Cannot
    be Attached at the Same Time

If two USB 3.0 devices (such as external HDDs) are attached via the USB 3.0 ports, after a period of time BOTH USB 3.0 ports will shut down.

At times this occurs very quickly, other times it takes 10-15 min. Once this occurs, both devices will be inaccessible and may disappear from the listings of drives in the Computer window.

In some cases, removing and reattaching the devices may restore USB 3.0 port function.

Sometimes the computer needs to be restarted before USB 3.0 port function returns. Before the restart, both devices will need to be detached from the computer.

Verify that the BIOS and USB 3.0 drivers are the latest available from Support.Dell.Com Website, for more information refer to Dell Knowledge Base article, "How to Use the Drivers and Downloads Website"

@ Yoyo & freestyla
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I have done thos.
    I'm just after finding this piece of info from Dell which I'm going to work through

Two USB 3.0 Devices Cannot be Attached at the Same Time

Two USB 3.0 Devices Cannot
    be Attached at the Same Time

If two USB 3.0 devices (such as external HDDs) are attached via the USB 3.0 ports, after a period of time BOTH USB 3.0 ports will shut down.

At times this occurs very quickly, other times it takes 10-15 min. Once this occurs, both devices will be inaccessible and may disappear from the listings of drives in the Computer window.

In some cases, removing and reattaching the devices may restore USB 3.0 port function.

Sometimes the computer needs to be restarted before USB 3.0 port function returns. Before the restart, both devices will need to be detached from the computer.

Verify that the BIOS and USB 3.0 drivers are the latest available from Support.Dell.Com Website, for more information refer to Dell Knowledge Base article, "How to Use the Drivers and Downloads Website"

What a "feature" :eek:interesting but not fair!

BIOS update?

@ Freestyla

I've just updated the BIOS with the drivers from Dell and I have updated USB 3.0 also. What they described on their website about sound dropping in and out is exactlys whats happening also as well as teh blue screen. Christ, recording music on PC's is a nightmare. I spent a lot of money on the spec for this laptop and I have had no pay off so far. I wish I bought an apple & logic or just went back to recroding on stand alone systems. Rant over!!

Regarding the audio interface not working on USB3.0, have a read of this article if your interested. It looks like there is a lot of truth to it.
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

My laptop and audio interface could be up for sale very quickly this evening give the lack of progress I have made!

I believe this ^^ " USB 3.0 Backwards Compatible in Theory" because I've experienced it too. On few machines.
    There is SOME little bit that is not fully compatible with USB 2.0, unfortunately.
    The best compatibility is when motherboard manufacturer has own house USB chip inside, when not using some less know 3rd party company.

Greedy greedy business world, just to roll out something new every God damn quarter so people can spend money then spend more money (and time!) on some new peripherals :(

I had an USB 3.0 SATA enclosure since.. long time, I think bought it in 2011. And it's only recently, autumn 2012, when I noticed it actually works with USB 3.0 ports

I'm sorry to see you had so much trouble there, hopefully it will get sorted soon! Just remember to write up instructions if that setup requires re-installation sometimes later ;)

@ freestyla

Cheers for the help. If I do come up with a solution, I'll write the whole thing here. otherwise I may sell the lot on Adverts!

Out of curiosty, I'm 100% certain that the 2 USB ports that I have at the back of my laptop are USB3.0, however I suspect the USB ports at either side of my laptop are 2.0. Is this possible? Could I have 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports on the same laptop? How can I find out for sure?

When I bought this thing, USB ports was the last thing I was thinking about. It was all about the RAM and processor!

@ freestyla

Cheers for the help. If I do come up with a solution, I'll write the whole thing here. otherwise I may sell the lot on Adverts!

Out of curiosty, I'm 100% certain that the 2 USB ports that I have at the back of my laptop are USB3.0, however I suspect the USB ports at either side of my laptop are 2.0. Is this possible? Could I have 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports on the same laptop? How can I find out for sure?

When I bought this thing, USB ports was the last thing I was thinking about. It was all about the RAM and processor!

Yes you can have both types of ports. What's exact model type of the laptop? Search for "DELXPX L720X" doesn't say anything.. so double check exact model type

Manufacturers web site should say exact specs? or this site -has a lot of info about all worlds laptops http://www.notebookcheck.net/

@freestyla
    This is what Dell tells me I bought. It doesn't mention anything about the USB's and neither does the notebookcheck website

Quantity

Description

N08X7M06

XPS 702X : 2ND GENERATION INTEL CORE I7-

DISPLAY : 17.3IN HD+ WLED TRUE-LIFE (160

LCD BACK COVER : SILVER ANODIZED ALUMIN

SHIP ACCESSORY : ENGLISH DOCS

RESOURCE DVD : XPS L702X

MEMORY : 8192MB (2X4096) 1333MHZ DDR3 DU

HARD DRIVE : 1TB (2X500GB) SERIAL ATA (7

OPTICAL DRIVE : TRAY LOAD BLU-RAY DISC B

POWER CORD : UK 250V

POWER SUPPLY : XPS 150W AC ADAPTER

BATTERY : PRIMARY 9-CELL 90W/HR LI-ION

CARRY CASE : NOT INCLUDED

GRAPHICS : 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 555M G

TV TUNER : INTERNAL DVB-T TVTUNER

WIRELESS : EUROPE INTEL CENTRINO ADVANCE

MOBILE BROADBAND : NOT INCLUDED

KEYBOARD : INTERNAL BACKLIT UK/IRISH QWE

OPERATING SYSTEM : ENGLISH WINDOWS 7 SP1

OS MEDIA : NOT INCLUDED

SOFTWARE : ENGLISH MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010

SOFTWARE : WINDOWS LIVE

SOFTWARE : DELL STAGE SOFTWARE

SOFTWARE : DELL SUPPORT CENTER 3.0

SOFTWARE : DATASAFE LOCAL 2.3 BASIC

SOFTWARE : ADOBE PHOTOSHOP+PREMIER ELEME

SOFTWARE : DELL STAGE E-MAGAZINE SOFTWAR

SOFTWARE : DELL STAGE E-READER SOFTWARE

SOFTWARE : SYNC UP SOFTWARE

ANTIVIRUS : MCAFEE SECURITYCENTER 15 MON

1 YEAR HARDWARE SUPPORT - NEXT BUSINESS

STANDARD SERVICE - 1 YEAR OF COLLECT & R

NO ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION

DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 2GB - 1 YEAR LICE

SOFTWARE: DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 2GB - 1

XPS L702X ORDER - IRELAND

NOTEBOOK - FREIGHT 1 UNIT

Update on my recording nightmare:

My laptop has two USB3.0 port & 1 USB 2.0 port and 1 USB port (don't know which type)for power other stuff and can be used for external data storage, etc...

I'm still having sound outage problems, but I've had no blue screen issues over the last few days (mostly likely due to the driver uninstalls and reinstalls)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BIOS drivers, USB drivers, audio interface drivers and midi keyboard drivers

I can use Ableton live lite on its own with the keyboard using my laptop sound card and it works perfectly. I can create tunes and I can create drums beats and its very easy to use, as is Ableton. I find it was more intuitive than Cubase LE5 Lite.

When I start using the audio interface (Akai EIE Pro) even on its own, that is when the problems start. If I use the standard CD bit sampling rate (standard) I get loads of static when listening back. Bizarrely I have to increase the sampling rate to studio quality (96hz) for the static to stop. You would think it would be the opposite. It usually works for about 50 - 60 seconds when listening to something (at any sampling or buffer rate) and then the sound drops out and I have to restart my PC again as I can't hear anything even when I plug the audio interface out. This happens on USB2.0 and USB3.0. From looking at other forums it looks like I'm not the only one having these problems, but I can't find a solution that works for me. A this stage there is either a problem with the audio interface drivers or the audio interface itself.

I have emailed the manufacturer also looking for help on this. Its all incredibly frustrating!

• Advertisement

It sounds like Akai made sh*tty drivers for Windows 7 that is your issue, unfortunately you are probably at the mercy of them if they are to release better drivers or not. No harm emailing and pestering them though, if enough do they may do something. The fact that it is only the one device that causes the issues, and that the issue occurs with multiple USB controllers (you have a USB3 & 2 one in your system) would suggest driver issue. I used to get a blue screen on Vista when I had a certain USB key plugged in and opened iTunes. The iTunes device detector probably thought that stick was a ipod and decided to crash the computer!

Nick

Advertisement