Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strength and Conditioning Courses

• 04-02-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone here have any experience with any S&C courses offered in Ireland, whether it be the Setanta College online ones or this: http://www.lit.ie/Courses/LC422 LIT course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

If you want to work in the area then be aware that most ads with sporting orgs will look for NSCA or British Strength & Conditioning Assoc accreditation. Without that a lot of these new degrees and courses wont make your employable without taking the extra qualifications, they just give you extra skills and knowledge to help your coaching or your own training. So ask specifically. If you check the Brit assoc youll find their workshops, which give a good pathway to certification part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Setanta college is running preparation workshops and assessment days for the UKSCA for its students.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Setanta college is running preparation workshops and assessment days for the UKSCA for its students.

So the online Setanta College courses are accredited then by the NSCA or British Strength & Conditioning Assoc accreditation?

I was looking into doing a sports fitness course and I see Setanta do a ITEC gym instructor combined with Strength and Conditioning.

http://www.setantacollege.com/modular_courses/physical-fitness-conditioning-for-sport-level-6-itec-gym-instruction-certificate/

From an unexperienced point of view it looks the business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Not the degree, just means Setanta will run the prep workshops and bring the UKSCA assessors over to ireland for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Barlivia

I'm looking at some of these S&C and fitness courses too and I was wondering about accreditation for setanta college too?

I'm working at the minute so it's looking attractive for me but I've also seen this course in Limerick http://www.ncefinfo.com/personal_training.html and it looks very good.

I'm living in limerick so it'd be very handy but it's not beginning until october whereas setanta are begining in march http://www.setantacollege.com/modular_courses/physical-fitness-conditioning-for-sport/

Has anyone any experiences from these courses and what were they like? Also what job opportunities became available to you when you finished the course?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Barlivia wrote: »
    I'm looking at some of these S&C and fitness courses too and I was wondering about accreditation for setanta college too?

I'm working at the minute so it's looking attractive for me but I've also seen this course in Limerick http://www.ncefinfo.com/personal_training.html and it looks very good.

I'm living in limerick so it'd be very handy but it's not beginning until october whereas setanta are begining in march http://www.setantacollege.com/modular_courses/physical-fitness-conditioning-for-sport/

Has anyone any experiences from these courses and what were they like? Also what job opportunities became available to you when you finished the course?
    Thanks

I done that NCEF PT course about 4 years ago. Wouldn't recommend it at all, extremely basic (plus I think you need to have done the gym instructor course first). Very basic and to be honest did not reflect in any way the current fitness industry.

Go Setanata or the UK cert which was mentioned on some of the initial posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Im also looking to do some sort of strength and conditioning course or fitness instructor course.I realise some content on gym/fitness instructors may not be great but looking to get one under my belt which can help me move forward.Preferably id like a shorter intense course compared to a longer one,in Leinster would be great also.Looking to get out of my current profession and into fitness since its what ive always wanted to do
    Any recommendations?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BoscoBox

KG Elite Fitness....Great course!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aidan.c25

I was contemplating doing either the level 7 or 8 S&C course in Thurles in conjunction with Lit and was just wondering is this a good course to do for me as id ld love to have the ability to work anywhere in the world in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flynners7

aidan.c25 wrote: »
    I was contemplating doing either the level 7 or 8 S&C course in Thurles in conjunction with Lit and was just wondering is this a good course to do for me as id ld love to have the ability to work anywhere in the world in any sport.

Looking at setanta aswel, tweeted a guy called gordon brett who completed it and is now working with munster rugby at some level and I think possibly Limerick in soccer, said its manageable whilst working and you get out what you put in, still not sure about accreditations and all but seems to have good employment records, some great internships too. Heard former athletes and current ones studying there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

would you have any chance of getting this course if you do a fetac course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

BoscoBox wrote: »
    KG Elite Fitness....Great course!

Accreditation not worth the paper it's written on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HallE

The Setanta courses are officially recognised by the NSCA and prepare you for UKSCA membership (they do not officially recognise any courses). Also, entrance exams for both needed afterwards.

KG Elite doesn't have any (legit) accreditation, plus does anyone honestly believe that you can become a professional in any industry with a course that lasts a couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaguireE78

Accreditation not worth the paper it's written on

Accreditation not worth the paper it's printed on? As a CPD course, you think CEU credits with the NSCA, NASM, ISSA aren't worth anything? I think this is a lame effort to talk cheap bout this course. Ive done KG Elite Performance's course and have to say it's a brilliant course delivered by leaders in the field. I am a Sports Science graduate and did the course to up skill in the area of S&C and attain a recognised CPD course in S&C. This course did just that.

Advertisement