Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Austin Texas for summer

Options
  • 05-02-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Myself and 3 mates are hitting Austin, Texas for the summer. The visa's are in the process of being booked so the research done so far has been minimal. Just wondering/hoping if there is anyone who knows anything about the city - places to stay, where is best to look for work etc. help would be hugely appreciated. I presume no one is going for the summer anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you aware that Austin, Texas is at the same latitude as Cairo, Egypt?

And that for the entire months of July and August the temperature is over 100 F (40 C)? Outdoors your lungs will feel like they're on fire because the air that you're breathing is hotter than body temperature.

It's a very nice city but pretty damn hot in the summer. And outside the city centre there are no pavements so you need to drive everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 masterlavey

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you aware that Austin, Texas is at the same latitude as Cairo, Egypt?

And that for the entire months of July and August the temperature is over 100 F (40 C)? Outdoors your lungs will feel like they're on fire because the air that you're breathing is hotter than body temperature.

It's a very nice city but pretty damn hot in the summer.
    Ye I heard it was pretty hot but I'm sure ill get used to it. Thinking positive ya know. You know much about Austin?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ye I heard it was pretty hot but I'm sure ill get used to it. Thinking positive ya know. You know much about Austin?

You won't get used to it, it's literally unbearable. Think positive all you like but coming from Ireland you will be dehydrated in no time and fall over from heatstroke.

I was in Austin an awful long time ago so can't advise you on where to live or where to look for work but when I was there virtually the whole town was composed of IT companies when you excluded the state government (it's the state capital) and the University of Texas so I'd say that unless you have a skill in the IT world I wouldn't bother going there looking for work, there was virtually no manufacturing at all in Austin so very few jobs outside IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just drink a lot of water. And at least be familiar with the symptoms of heat stroke.

And buy a car with A/C. And keep emergency supplies in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Just drink a lot of water. And at least be familiar with the symptoms of heat stroke.

And buy a car with A/C. And keep emergency supplies in the car.

+1 on this, you'll acclimatise... Its great to head out on 6th in shorts and a tee shirt on a Saturday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

You won't get used to it, it's literally unbearable. Think positive all you like but coming from Ireland you will be dehydrated in no time and fall over from heatstroke.

Don't listen to a word of that, its not Mars you're going to. Yourself and the rest of the nearly 1 million people there will be grand, you'll get used to it before you know it. Just keep drinking water and you''ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh for goodness sake. That is way, way too over the top imo. I moved to one of the hotter southern US states many moons ago. With a bit of common sense, lots of forward planning when it came to outdoor events and activities (not to mention boats loads of factor 50 suns screen) I did just fine. I never once keeled over from heat stroke.

That being said, the heat is pretty insane, and it does take some getting used to. It can really impact how much time you can spend out of doors, before you really start to feel the effects of it. OP, be very, very careful of accepting any work that is out of doors. A lot of industries in that part of the world that require manual labour (construction, land scape gardening, veg and fruit picking etc etc) often hire cheap immigrant (usually Mexican) workers. They pay them a pittance for back breaking work in insufferable heat. Sadly, that kind of exploitation is part of the culture in that part of the US, so be very careful that you consider all the ins an outs of any outdoor job offers that you may get.

Austin has a thriving music, arts and bar scene. If you are any way musically inclined, that could be an option for you job wise. If you have experience in the pub/bar/restaurant trades, consider going down that road when you it comes to work. Do a Google search and see if there are any Irish bars in the area. They often love to have real live Irish folk waiting tables and tending bar. Start contacting them now, before you even leave Ireland, and try to make some contacts, and set up some interviews before you get there. This isn't the first J1 thread on here about Austin, so odds are you won't be the only Irish folk there looking for work. The early bird will catch the worm and all that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I live in Dallas and travel to austin a good bit as relatively short distance. It is hot yes but its not like cairo or anything. I have played a lot of rugby down there at 12/1/2 pm and despite being pasty with red hair managed ok. Drink water, look for the shade and just enjoy yourself. It is probably the best city in texas and has lots to do arts wise and pubs/restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

And congratulations for not opting for the 'usual suspects' of Myrtle Beach, Wildwood, Ocean City,....

Unlike the rest of the horde, you'll actually get to experience America. Solid choice, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

Hi all, any update on your plans ?

did ye find work or accommodation ?

any recommendations for apartment hunting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

People's Republic of Austin - excellent choice

Ignore all the crap about the heat - 40C aint that bad and you'll soon get acclimatised, speaking as someone who lives by the rule that the AC only goes on in the car over 100F/38C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 appleby

Are any of ye still out in Austin?
    In Boston the last month but heading out to Austin soon for my last 3 weeks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

...maybe the heat got to them after all...

:o

Advertisement