Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Expectations

Options
  • 05-02-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a broadband package that promises 'up to 24megs'.  My nearest exchange is apparently Castle View in Carrigtwohill, Co.Cork, which is literally across the road.  My main concern is this 24megs is the absolute best I could ever hope to get, but I'll get nowhere near it.  I've been reading online about lads getting fractions of what they're paying for.  The exchange is apparently NGB so contention rates shouldn't come into it.

Is there any way to determine even an approx line speed before signing up?  I don't have an eircom land line, not had one in nearly a decade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

corblimey wrote: »
    I've been offered a broadband package that promises 'up to 24megs'.  My nearest exchange is apparently Castle View in Carrigtwohill, Co.Cork, which is literally across the road.  My main concern is this 24megs is the absolute best I could ever hope to get, but I'll get nowhere near it.  I've been reading online about lads getting fractions of what they're paying for.  The exchange is apparently NGB so contention rates shouldn't come into it.

Is there any way to determine even an approx line speed before signing up?  I don't have an eircom land line, not had one in nearly a decade.
    Hi corblimey
    If you could provide your exact address we may be able to advise of general speeds within your own area
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

corblimey wrote: »

Hi corblimey

Our broadband services are sold as "up to" and service is delivered on a best effort basis. If you would like to PM me your address I shall look at neighbouring lines to give you a slight indication on what you may be able to get? Also, Broadband is not guaranteed until a line is installed and tested for broadband.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

PM sent, tks

Advertisement