Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne to Sydney drive

Options
  • 05-02-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Google maps is saying about 8 and a half hours. Is this accurate? I would have thought more like 10 hours, including a couple of breaks.

Also, what are the roads like? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Google maps is saying about 8 and a half hours. Is this accurate? I would have thought more like 10 hours, including a couple of breaks.

Also, what are the roads like? Thanks.

Yeah up the Hume you can do it in less than 9 and that's with a couple of fuel/Food stops, its Motorway 110Km/hr nearly the whole way except through Holbrook but the bypass is opening in March/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Hume highway will bring you between the 2 cities in 8.5 hours without pushing on too hard. Of course adding breaks will add extra time. There is plenty of choice of small towns just off the Hume for your stops. Been a lot of years since I drove it but back then the roads were great, not the most exciting stretch in Aus but easiy to drive. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you like a bit of Art Deco then the Niagara in Gundagui is worth a visit. You can walk off the lunch on the old railway viaduct.
    niagara.jpg
    Then there's the sub in Holbrook!
    2443928617_0454dd3a45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Thanks for the advice guys.

What's the story with the submarine? Is it a tourist attraction? Or some sort of gimick restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thanks for the advice guys.

What's the story with the submarine? Is it a tourist attraction? Or some sort of gimick restaurant?

Its only the outer skin of the Sub, its just a tourist attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's pretty accurate.
    8 and a half hours driving plus some breaks equals 10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Can confirm 10 hour trip, including 2 stops, one for fuel & lunch and the second for fuel only.

Roadworks still ongoing at Holbrook for the bypass construction.

Advertisement