Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping in football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

CSF wrote: »
    It sets a precedent. Any time anything comes about afterwards people will be wondering why they haven't made another statement.

Why would anything come about afterwards if the people making the allegations know organisations will release evidence showing them up as liars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why would anything come about afterwards if the people making the allegations know organisations will release evidence showing them up as liars

What evidence could the Premier League release to dispel an allegation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm not saying it's happening, but this has been the weirdest season in the PL I've seen so far since watching football. The Champions Chelsea just turned into muck seemingly overnight. Relegation candidates Leicester appear to have the league won. It's well documented Leicester's players credentials the last few years before this season, Mahrez playing Ligue 2, Kante playing lower, Vardy playing for Fleetwood. There was talks of it a few months ago and to be fair you have to question it. A lot of teams go through an injury crisis or 2 in the season but Leicester have basically had the same 11 all season.

Its just really odd and would be the biggest achievement I think sport has ever seen. I hope there's nothing illegal involved.

If the Times are running with it as a front page story you would have to think there is some truth to it (as the were involved in exposing some of FIFA's corruption and are hardly going to risk their reputation in sports journalism by making up a cock and bull story) regardless of whether the doctor is dodgy or not .I'd hardly expect a doctor with a high degree of morality to be involved in helping sportsmen cheat.

Plus apparently the journalist working on the story is the same man who exposed the widespread doping in Russian athletics, which probably sounded completely far fetched at the outset too, so that adds a bit of weight to the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No evidence by all accounts, just allegations by a corrupt doctor.

One who looks like Alan Partridge too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Irish doctor dr bonar , studied in UCD , just had a quick read of the article , no evidence of any club knowing and they aledge it was treating a few players with injuries , also althetes and British cyclists . Strange that the times would run this when they haven't been able to get any evidence other than his secret interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the top teams were doping. The potential rewards are too high and risks too low for at least some players and teams not be tempted.

When you look at the type of high-running football played by Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Tottenham, Liverpool -- you really have to wonder.

However, while doping can give you a huge advantage in terms of fitness and stamina, it doesn't explain Mahrez's sublime touch, Vardy's finishing, etc.

Hopefully some truth can be exposed.

I'd say it's pretty widespread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the top teams were doping. The potential rewards are too high and risks too low for at least some players and teams not be tempted.

When you look at the type of high-running football played by Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Tottenham, Liverpool -- you really have to wonder.

However, while doping can give you a huge advantage in terms of fitness and stamina, it doesn't explain Mahrez's sublime touch, Vardy's finishing, etc.

It's much more difficult to have great touch,finishing,passing ability if you are bolloxed tired.

A high degree of fitness,endurance and intensity can turn and average player technically into a very good player overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Obviously any player playing in the premier league is going to have a world class touch and technique. How can Vardy run around flat out for 90 mins and still have that finishing. Torres when he was world class at Liverpool used to do the very bare minimum work up front and would pop up with a late goal because he was saving himself all game.

Speed of recovery I'd imagine would be a big factor in footballers taking drugs.

Rules Sturridge out anyway on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It would mean that you could ramp up the intensity, length and focus of training though. The longer you can spend training technical skills, the more they'll be kept at peak level.

It's much more difficult to have great touch,finishing,passing ability if you are bolloxed tired.

A high degree of fitness,endurance and intensity can turn and average player technically into a very good player overall.

Yeah, not sure I get the whole "ach it wouldn't do much for a footballer". It's cheating to gain an advantage. It doesn't help the batter read the flight of the baseball any quicker, it doesn't enable the golfer read the putt better, it doesn't enable a tennis player perform wonderful passing shots. It enables them all train harder, recover more quickly, get stronger, gain more muscle memory, in certain sports like golf or darts it might bring a calmness to avoid "yips" and perform better under pressure and so on. If any player is doping with a banned substance, they should be flung out of the game. It cheats opponents, fans, everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Blowfish wrote: »
    It would mean that you could ramp up the intensity, length and focus of training though. The longer you can spend training technical skills, the more they'll be kept at peak level.

Reminds me of Pep's Barcelona side. People saying they could run all day because they had the ball for the majority of the game.

I read a lot of books regarding Lance Armstrong and the systematic doping in cycling in the previous decade. There is absolutely no way that football is clean. It just isn't. But it's got to the point where I don't really care any more. FIFA are never ever gonna attack it head on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal involved as well it seems, same old arsenal it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if Leicester win the title will it be tainted now?

Hitchens wrote: »

Tainted because some random doctor made claims with no names or evidence? Yeah definitely, sure we should probably strip them of the thing.

Tainted because some random doctor made claims with no names or evidence? Yeah definitely, sure we should probably strip them of the thing.
    what is a 'random' doctor exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Unless you are going to call every other title win tainted, because there is little doubt in my mind that doping in football is both systematic and long running.

what is a 'random' doctor exactly?

One with no reputation due to previous malpractice.

• Advertisement

One with no reputation due to previous malpractice.
    supplying drugs to athletes to enhance performance would be malpractice alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

"Conditioning and Injury Prevention" coach for Chelsea during their most successful period in history, becomes "Consultant" to Barcelona during their most successful period in history.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Players who were at the same club as Brinded at some time. Not saying they are dopers but just links.
    Arsenal - Cech, Alexis Sanchez, Bellerin, Jon Toral (on loan at Birmingham)
    Chelsea - Terry, Fabregas, Mikel, Pedro
    Leicester - Huth

supplying drugs to athletes to enhance performance would be malpractice alright

Ok, care to substantiate your question on whether Leicester's title campaign should be tainted by baseless allegations or are you just here to talk sh*te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I wonder what are the Aston Villa players are on?

They sure looked a load of Doped Up Idiots yeaterday against Chelski :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I wonder what are the Aston Villa players are on?

They sure looked a load of Doped Up Idiots yeaterday against Chekski :p

Sleeping tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Arsenal involved as well it seems, same old arsenal it seems.

Well if that's the case, they really need to get refunds and change their 'performance enhancing' drug of choice.

Ok, care to substantiate your question on whether Leicester's title campaign should be tainted by baseless allegations or are you just here to talk sh*te?
    well done there, Lance

well done there, Lance

Ok I'll bite, how does an unsubstantiated claim taint anybody?

Quite a claim for someone to make. He'd be opening himself up to massive libel action surely?

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Quite a claim for someone to make. He'd be opening himself up to massive libel action surely?

Not if he doesn't name any names I assume. And it was an undercover bust also so he'd possibly be quite willing to claim/admit he was talking boll*x.

Not if he doesn't name any names I assume. And it was an undercover bust also so he'd possibly be quite willing to claim/admit he was talking boll*x.

He named clubs though. Can he do that without legal action being sought against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Bit unfair to be picking on Leicester in terms of doping.
    Realistically if there's doping in football, it's probably systemic and widespread across most teams.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    He named clubs though. Can he do that without legal action being sought against him?

Not sure, it'd be different he had willingly given an interview I guess. A libel case would be difficult given the nature of the article I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If the FA and Premier League follow the same approach as the UK Athletics body (there were newspaper reports that implicated at least seven top British athletes in doping), this will make media headlines for a few weeks and then it will die away.

With no follow up action taken by the relevant governing bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seems like hes back tracking saying he never worked with any premier league footballer.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Rob is the best conditioning guy I have worked with. From working with him, I became the quickest player over 10 metres and had the highest jump height recorded from the German national team. I continue to work with Rob as I know it gives me the advantage over the opposition.
    - Robert Huth

LOL

The more concerning thing from a Leicester point of view is the links to the Centro Mapei in Italy who would not have a great reputation in cycling.
    http://www.calcioefinanza.it/2016/02/25/centro-mapei-leicester-juventus-olgiate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/KevinDoyle1983/status/716737571078836225

https://twitter.com/KevinDoyle1983/status/716749324839878656

Interesting, if you take it at face value anyway.

Personally, I would be surprised if there wasn't doping. Especially among the elite players and clubs, where the demand is much higher, both in playing time and the level you need to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Knex. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/KevinDoyle1983/status/716737571078836225

https://twitter.com/KevinDoyle1983/status/716749324839878656

Interesting, if you take it at face value anyway.

Personally, I would be surprised if there wasn't doping. Especially among the elite players and clubs, where the demand is much higher, both in playing time and the level you need to achieve.

It's also quite possible that Kevin Doyle never quite reached the top end of the game where one could imagine doping would be more endemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I'm sure lots of footballers could be taking PEDs but just don't know they are.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm sure lots of footballers could be taking PEDs but just don't know they are.

More likely in the past than now I'd say. Would've been plenty of "pain-killing" injections, players would be more aware now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nobody offers somebody PED's. It is the dumbest thing ever to believe that team-mates offer blood transfusions or EPO to each other.

It happens within small cliques of players and I highly doubt there was a doping clique within Reading and Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nobody offers somebody PED's. It is the dumbest thing ever to believe that team-mates offer blood transfusions or EPO to each other.

It happens within small cliques of players and I highly doubt there was a doping clique within Reading and Wolves.

Yeah, I suspect it wouldn't be a team thing per say, more a player with an injury who knows he'll find it a challenge to get back into the team if he's out for long. Maybe the end of a contract is looming, desperation sets in, and he goes for it.

• Advertisement

The great Parma team of the late 90's
    Donati cites the recent startling revelations at Parma as a prime example. A leaked police report showed that 21 of 25 Parma players had an unusually high red blood cell count in tests carried out during pre- season training. Such high levels cansometimes be the result of usingEPO, a red blood cell booster that increases oxygen in the bloodstream and is associated with endurance sports, particularly cycling. Use of EPO, which thickens the blood and can cause heart attacks, was responsible for a spate of suspensions at this summer's Tour de France.

Parma were furious about the leaks but their efforts at damage limitation did not stop one of their former players, Daniel Bravo, from speaking out. Now at Marseilles, Bravo was a Parma player for 18 months and said he would sue the club if he found he was given EPO.

"We were systematically given vitamin injections before games," Bravo said. "I didn't approve but if you protested, you went against club rules. The problem with injections is that the doctor involved can put whatever he likes into them."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-drugs-in-serie-a-italy-sinking-deeper-into-scandal-1178042.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is there any rules in football, like cycling, to prohibit the use of EPO? In cycling, your red blood cell count had to be below 50%, but I don't think there's such a rule in football?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Is there any rules in football, like cycling, to prohibit the use of EPO? In cycling, your red blood cell count had to be below 50%, but I don't think there's such a rule in football?

According to WADA EPO was banned in the early 90's but was testing only started in 2000.
    https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/epo-detection

I'm not sure how much FIFA adhered to WADA regulations before signing up to them fully in 2006.

How come no papers are questioning why Rob Brinded has removed testimonials from Robert Huth, Peter Cech and Joe Cole from his website in the past week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I think the Panama leaks shows there's a lot of loose money out there looking for things to do. I find it hard to believe all that tax dodging isn't being used in football for competitive advantages and laundering. I've never been able to get my head around superagents being allowed to own players. It always sounded iffy to me, shifting players around for masses of money, and behaving almost like little corporations of their own.

The mention of Messi in relation to Panama really gets me thinking about just how dodgy football could be. This stuff about legitimate use of HGH. I don't really buy it.

Not to mention the FIFA scandals. And the horror of the abuses surrounding the Qatar WC, which I probably won't watch, if I haven't given up on soccer as a sport by then like I've given up on athletics and cycling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement