Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping in football

Comments

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Since you bring him up...his form has been terrible but has improved over the last two months...careful what you wish for

He needs a new dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Players playing in the top leagues like the prem should definetly be getting tested randomly at least 2 times a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

glued wrote: »
    lol fat burners are PEDs

Not necessarily, depends on whats in them. And even at that the "performance enhancement" is questionable, at best.

Sample was after the Utd Europa 2nd leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Not necessarily, depends on whats in them. And even at that the "performance enhancement" is questionable, at best.

What illegal fat burners aren't performance enhancing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

An illegal drug which burns fat is quite obviously performance enhancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Despite all that, there are still physicians and coaches who say there are no drugs in soccer. “I say with conviction that no one dopes in soccer,” Borussia Dortmund’s coach Jürgen Klopp said three years ago. f

http://fussballdoping.correctiv.org/en/2012/12/how-prevalent-are-drugs-in-soccer/#sthash.B9EICChh.dpuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dortmund must be a little pissed off right now seeing as he payed so well against them.

What illegal fat burners aren't performance enhancing?
    Clenbuteral for example would be one. If anything its detrimental to athletic performance and only has minimal fat burning effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Do you even understand what you are writing here????

Of course fat burners are PEDs ffs..It's not even worth a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Dortmund should be reinstated and Liverpool should be docked their last champions league and have their new stand removed.

Everton should have the three poitns from the derby too. He was clearly the difference.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How much fat exactly would a top level footballer actually have, considering the amount of training and playing they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Everton should have the three poitns from the derby too. He was clearly the difference.

No need to be ridiculously obtuse. Sakho scored in a tie decided by one goal.

NIMAN wrote: »
    How much fat exactly would a top level footballer actually have, considering the amount of training and playing they do?

1.8865%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd imagine he is has a large amount of sugar in his current diet or something so is countering it by using fat burners. Leading to more energy etc.

Doesn't necessarily mean he has much fat on his body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Clenbuteral for example would be one. If anything its detrimental to athletic performance and only has minimal fat burning effects.

Are you joking? That's a performance enhancing drug.

I don't really think you understand the whole concept of PEDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Isn't that what cyclist Alberto Contador was popped for? I'd imagine it's performance enhancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Isn't that what cyclist Alberto Contador was popped for? I'd imagine it's performance enhancing

Didn't Ben Johnson get done for that too?

I wonder will the team wear Sakho t-shirts before the game on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AdamD wrote: »
    No need to be ridiculously obtuse. Sakho scored in a tie decided by one goal.

My point is: do games generally have the results reversed following a positive drugs test?

You see it for fielding an ineligible player, yes - but the argument for that is that the team knew or should have known who was legible and who wasn't. You can't say the same for a player failing a drugs test.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Nope, promotes mild appetite suppression and a thermogenic effect, which with rigid diet helps strip small quantities of fat in a relatively short space of time, which is offset by muscle cramping, it doesnt enhance performance. And even at that rigid diet is key, it wont do anything if you eat surplus calories.
    Are you joking? That's a performance enhancing drug.

I don't really think you understand the whole concept of PEDs.

I really dont think you understand the concept. There is nothing in the chemical makeup clen to enhance your performance, muscle recovery/growth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

T-Shirts being printed as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

As I said in the liverpool thread Toure messing around with Bendroflumethiazide makes no sense at all really.

Salbuterol/Albuterol or Ventolin and Clenbuterol et al are on the WADA banned list and have got the odd player in trouble for not declaring having Asthma and needing such inhalers. Clenbuterol has certainly been widely used as a PED administered IV. There is a connection with epinephrine(adrenaline) levels though I'm not too sure how these would benefit a trained athlete that much except for very short time that might benefit sprinters but footballers!? It is a vasodilator so maybe but the contraindications and side-effects would outweigh enhancement, but I suppose some athletes dont care about anything but their extra little edge. It is certainly performance enhancing as a bronchodilator for sports people with asthma legitimately as performance is impaired initially by the disease.

I'm still betting on this being a little more sinister than 'fat burners' (such a dodge describing any drug that way...exercise is a 'fat burner' too ffs without a drug in sight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why would a footballer need a fat burner

Either Sahko is an idiot, we can't rule that out, or he knew he was gaining an advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Sakho, please cheat better! You've got the money, get the good stuff that's ahead of the testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf at least the club got ahead of it.

Sahko, if guilty, is a ****ing idiot for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tbf at least the club got ahead of it.

Sahko, if guilty, is a ****ing idiot for this.

I assume he'll get a year? Will we have to pay his wages?
    Should he be sold if found guilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Masking agent to hide something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sample was after the Utd Europa 2nd leg.

Could have been to keep him awake. Surely even uefa wouldn't ostracise him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The skeptic in me keeps coming back to a link between Klopp and this, had my suspicions about it while he was at Dortmund too Interesting times ahead for football in general though I would bet.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ask Gabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The skeptic in me keeps coming back to a link between Klopp and this, had my suspicions about it while he was at Dortmund too Interesting times ahead for football in general though I would bet.

Any reasons? Just your own intuition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I assume he'll get a year? Will we have to pay his wages?
    Should he be sold if found guilty?

Doubt he'd get a year Kolo only got 6 months back in 2011 while still at citeh. We wouldn't be paying his wages either as it would be a breach of contract which in turn could see him leave the club by mutual consent. (Cancel his contract)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Any reasons? Just your own intuition?

Basically boils down to intuition I suppose, he and Dortmund are certainly not the only team to raise suspicions in recent years.

No hard evidence so not sure how much you are supposed to say on here.

As a general comment I would suggest that doping in football at the highest level does not seem to be a new concept, and I am certain that playing the percentages it is far more likely to be common in the sport then not.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dortmund had a huge injury crisis under Klopp. Wouldn't be suspicious of them at all.
    Ive posted if before but Atletico have 6 players in the top in distance covered in the CL. They never stop running & come across as very cynical. I would not be surprised of they had multiple players taking epo.

Dortmunds huge injury crisis came in his last season there didn't it? They went 6th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd under him in the first 6 seasons, also reaching late stages of CL/German cup with a small squad playing a very high tempo, high intensity brand of football, displaying pretty incredible levels of stamina/fitness. Then in the 7th year they start to break down with injury, which could be conceived as the results of long term doping, but you would really need to look into it and what type of injury etc

As I said, they raised suspicion, not saying for one second they were definitely doping.

AM are another team that give cause for suspicion for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Just a little bit of doping is OK.

Isn't it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dortmunds huge injury crisis came in his last season there didn't it?

Which could be conceived as the results of long term doping, but you would really need to look into it nd what type of injury etc

AM are another team that give cause for suspicion for sure.
    No real evidence to Dortmund at all really. They also play less games in Germany & have a long mid season break. Atletico on the other hand are out running every team easily. I remember they played Barca in Feb with 9 men(10 men for 60 mins) . Barca created little because even with 9 they just never tire.

I think there may be truth in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was an absolute liability early in the season, many LFC fans on here calling for his head, he wasn't good enough and what not.

Suddenly he turns into a much better player, in the main at least, no smoke without fire and all that.
    Since you bring him up...his form has been terrible but has improved over the last two months...careful what you wish for

His improvements of late haven't been physical though, it's all been his decision making. He's always been a physical beast. And he's had similar bouts of form for us over the past few years.

I wouldn't attribute much of his recent form to doping to be honest. Given his consistent physical dominance, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been taking whatever it is for quite a while. (If he is indeed taking a PED).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:pac:

• Advertisement

I commend your contribution to the thread sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's no way Dortmund were doping. They couldn't even beat us most games under Klopp and we were sh*te.

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's no way Dortmund were doping. They couldn't even beat us most games under Klopp and we were sh*te.

They could beat other teams though, did set record points totals, both overall and second half of the season ;) (Only to be eclipsed by the 12-13 Bayern team)

It would be wonderful if they weren't doping of course, be great if nobody was.....or possibly, if everyone was.

As I said, no hard evidence, no strong accusation of wrongdoing. Simply some suspicion, it comes with the territory these days I think with so much cheating coming out across so many sports.

It appears systematic in so many sports, and they simply adjust what stuff they are using to maximise their potential each year depending on what gets added to the banned substance list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Thats the pressure cooker of modern day footballers, they gotta bring home the Bacon on the pitch :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Origi had better watch out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

safe_image.php?d=AQBuptqP4HSf4buG&w=470&h=466&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent.cdninstagram.com%2Ft51.2885-15%2Fs750x750%2Fsh0.08%2Fe35%2F12446288_291043941227334_1616691081_n.jpg%3Fig_cache_key%3DMTIzNDg4MzA0NjEwNDU2MDE4Mw%253D%253D.2

A pint and 2 E's please

sakho-1.jpg

• Origi had better watch out.

Origis progression more likely has been simply due to Klopp showing faith in picking him in the side unlike Rodgers

I can give credit where it's due but I'm sure you were being smart ;)

Lovren has been consistantly **** since he signed so that's why I responded to the poster who brought him up stating his boast in form is also questionable

Mignolet needs to change his dealer

• RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Mignolet needs to change his dealer

He needs a 1000mg stat

• Advertisement
Advertisement