Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping in football

Comments

Korat wrote: »
    I wonder if they retest old samples like they do in athletics. The best cheating technology is years ahead of the testers ability to detect it but as you see in athletics eventually the testing catches up. If there's a viable sample still in storage it can be tested and the drugs cheat caught and punished years later.

Im guessing they do? Not sure though

Good few in here have extensive knowledge on the subject so they might know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cool, he'll continue to make cock-ups and 'Pool fans will continue to blame Skrtel.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Cool, he'll continue to make cock-ups and 'Pool fans will continue to blame Skrtel.

Nobody blamed Skrtel for spiking Sakho. Don't be silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He missed the final. Liverpool lost. It's all good.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You'll hurt your eyes with all that rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Your posting hurts mine already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Korat wrote: »
    I wonder if they retest old samples like they do in athletics. The best cheating technology is years ahead of the testers ability to detect it but as you see in athletics eventually the testing catches up. If there's a viable sample still in storage it can be tested and the drugs cheat caught and punished years later.

I know that in Cycling they do and have done this with a good few years. Jan Ullrich, former Tour winner and finished second to Lance numerous years admitted that he doped after he retired and it was only a few years ago that a sample from a decade ago was retested and was found to have EPO in it. The likes of Chris Froome have openly said that some of their samples have been frozen to be tested again in years.

I think the problem lies in that the chemists are so far ahead of the testers they're developing compounds so precise that they're completely undetectable. Memo Heredia is a fascinating guy who has given interviews on how he ensures 100% undetectability in his products/substances.

Your posting hurts mine already.

Back at you kiddo.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Back at you kiddo.

Kiddo :pac:

What age are you, 70? If so then fair comment I guess.

5starpool wrote: »
    Kiddo :pac:

What age are you, 70? If so then fair comment I guess.

It's a term of endearment ;)

• Advertisement

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that if the substance is not specifically named on the list then it's all good. That's a fairly simplistic way of looking at things in an age where synthetic drugs can be formulated and distributed pretty quickly. Should new drugs be fair game to use until somebody cops them and adds them to the list?

Once upon a time I used to be able to walk around the corner from my local and buy a bag of Wildcat or Amplified. It was stronger than a lot of the amphetamine and cocaine it was supposed to imitate but it was perfectly legal because it hadn't been on the banned list of drugs in this country.
    It was an oversight that was rectified with a blanket ban on such products including any new formula/derivative that comes on the market.
    Is there any reason why something similar can't be done in football/sport instead of the situation where there has to be specific mention of a substance?

Sounds like you need a new dealer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Bloodbags are to be released.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/14/operation-puerto-blood-bags-must-be-released-judge-madrid

an interest line I took from this was
    This follows a successful appeal by the International Cycling Union, Italian Olympic Committee, Spanish Cycling Federation and World Anti-Doping Agency against a 2013 decision to destroy the blood bags.

Notice the way that UEFA, FIFA and La Liga are absent. I can understand La Liga wanting this to disappear but again, as we have already confirmed, UEFA and FIFA have no interest in outing the cheats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

The Bloodbags are to be released.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/14/operation-puerto-blood-bags-must-be-released-judge-madrid

an interest line I took from this was

Notice the way that UEFA, FIFA and La Liga are absent. I can understand La Liga wanting this to disappear but again, as we have already confirmed, UEFA and FIFA have no interest in outing the cheats.

The thing is, tennis or football players have no reason to use blood bags. EPO testing was little to non existent back in those years, and even now it's not tested for enough. So blood bags wouldn't be needed. In fact someone on Twitter has apparently got a list of the 36 athletes linked to the 211 bags, 23 cyclists, 12 athletes and one unknown. Even though it's highly probable Fuentes was up to dodgy dealings with top football teams, I'm certain that it won't come out through the release of the bags. You might have a few more cyclists outed, most who are probably retired or no longer give a sh*t really. This ruling has come far too late tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    The thing is, tennis or football players have no reason to use blood bags. EPO testing was little to non existent back in those years, and even now it's not tested for enough. So blood bags wouldn't be needed. In fact someone on Twitter has apparently got a list of the 36 athletes linked to the 211 bags, 23 cyclists, 12 athletes and one unknown. Even though it's highly probable Fuentes was up to dodgy dealings with top football teams, I'm certain that it won't come out through the release of the bags. You might have a few more cyclists outed, most who are probably retired or no longer give a sh*t really. This ruling has come far too late tbh.

maybe a tennis player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted sakho always seemed like a genuine honest pro.

Hope he sues the knickers of uefa now

ricero wrote: »
    Hope he sues the knickers of uefa now

He tested positive for something. If he got off on a technicality I'd say he will be more than happy to put it all behind him and not drag it out any more.

He tested positive for something. If he got off on a technicality I'd say he will be more than happy to put it all behind him and not drag it out any more.

A wrongful technicality that cost him his place in a Europa League final and the French national team for the Euros, who are close to winning the thing.

He has every right to take action if he wants to, as you said though, whether he will or not remains to be seen, but he certainly has grounds for a strong case.

martyos121 wrote: »
    A wrongful technicality that cost him his place in a Europa League final and the French national team for the Euros, who are close to winning the thing.

He has every right to take action if he wants to, as you said though, whether he will or not remains to be seen, but he certainly has grounds for a strong case.

I don't know the full facts. I'm just saying that if he did get off on a technicality... I'm not sure what you mean be a wrongful technicality. Did UEFA definitely mess up or did his lawyers find a loophole that will now be closed off? In the latter scenario you can be sure he wouldn't rock the boat by suing anybody.

• Advertisement

I don't know the full facts. I'm just saying that if he did get off on a technicality... I'm not sure what you mean be a wrongful technicality. Did UEFA definitely mess up or did his lawyers find a loophole that will now be closed off? In the latter scenario you can be sure he wouldn't rock the boat by suing anybody.

We can only wait and see I suppose, I'm not going to say too much because I could make an arse of myself if I'm wrong when I don't know the full extent of it. Based on what I do know, UEFA were wrong to have suspended him in the first place and they should be held accountable for that IMO.

Great news for Liverpool.

A bonus that he didn't play during the summer too.

Tough for him missing the finals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Quite a few very disappointed lads on this thread tonight

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

that didnt stop you shooting your mouth off about from the off though did it?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Quite a few very disappointed lads on this thread tonight
    I think some of you Liverpool and United fans get a little carried away about how much anybody really cares.

I don't support either team but Sakho being cleared or not makes very little difference to my world or my interest in anything to do with soccer. It's not like his absence is going to be a disaster or the fact that he is cleared a great boost for Liverpool fc either.

If he is completely innocent I feel sorry for the lad as he is missing out on something special in France.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    that didnt stop you shooting your mouth off about from the off though did it?;)

What are you on about. Nobody knows the full facts, why don't you say that to everyone else?
    It's a f*cking discussion forum. I've got opinions like everyone else.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think some of you Liverpool and United fans get a little carried away about how much anybody really cares.

I don't support either team but Sakho being cleared or not makes very little difference to my world or my interest in anything to do with soccer. It's not like his absence is going to be a disaster or the fact that he is cleared a great boost for Liverpool fc either.

If he is completely innocent I feel sorry for the lad as he is missing out on something special in France.

Yeah. I think some people are imagining that other people are disappointed. He's decent but always good for a brainfart. It won't affect my day to day life in the slightest.

Also. Quite a few? I was the only non-Liverpool fan that posted before that. Imagination running wild there...

What are you on about. Nobody knows the full facts, why don't you say that to everyone else?

Most opinions were more..... how should I say?....measured than yours

Yeah, nobody is buying any of that mate.
    So it looks like Mamadou Sakho will be facing a ban of some sort. Ignorance to the composition of fat burners doesn't wash with me when others before him have apparently suffered the same. Surely clubs would keep tabs on any supplements or medication their players are taking?
    I wonder how many others would have a similar story if they were tested.
    One would be naive to think that he was taking fat burners for any other reason than to cover up whatever else he was taking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

eagle eye wrote: »

If you don't care and it makes no difference to you then why bother posting about it at all?

Yeah, nobody is buying any of that mate.

What???
    What is the purpose of that post?
    I've posted stuff?

He's used fat burners. My opinion of that is he has used them as a masking agent. That's been my opinion from the start and it's fairly logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fred, if I;m ever unlucky enough to be tried for something, I really hope you;re not on the jury!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Fred, if I;m ever unlucky enough to be tried for something, I really hope you;re not on the jury!

This isn't court. For every me there's another gobsh*te saying it's all perfectly fine because he's not been charged. There has to be 2 sides, I'm on the other one.

What???
    I've posted stuff?

Probably the condescending posts.

Saying you don't know the whole facts on one hand and then calling people naive on the other hand when they might question why he was taking fat burners.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Probably the condescending posts.

Saying you don't know the whole facts on one hand and then calling people naive on the other hand when they might question why he was taking fat burners.

Like everybody else, I'm giving my opinion with the information I'm aware of.
    I think it extremely odd for a professional footballers to be taking fat burners.

• Advertisement

Like everybody else, I'm giving my opinion with the information I'm aware of.
    I think it extremely odd for a professional footballers to be taking fat burners.

But as you said yourself nobody knows the full facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This isn't court. For every me there's another gobsh*te saying it's all perfectly fine because he's not been charged. There has to be 2 sides, I'm on the other one.

It's the logic and assumption used to be the other one I was questioning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This post you made following Uefa dropping the ban last month negates anything else you said on the matter - showed your true nature on the issue.

This post you made following Uefa dropping the ban last month negates anything else you said on the matter - showed your true nature on the issue.

I don't care. I support Man United. Liverpool losing a final is all good with me, Sakho missing it is all good with me.
    This does not mean I can't have an opinion.

I don't care. I support Man United. Liverpool losing a final is all good with me, Sakho missing it is all good with me.
    This does not mean I can't have an opinion.

look, you've had a 'mare and have been shown up with your own quotes.

live and learn as they say :-)

• Advertisement

look, you've had a 'mare and have been shown up with your own quotes.

live and learn as they say :-)

Shown up how? "Hey look, you said these things" in reply to me saying I have opinions. Great showing up there...
    That post shows nothing.

Shown up how? "Hey look, you said these things" in reply to me saying I have opinions. Great showing up there...
    That post shows nothing.

You're struggling here. oh the Humanity!

anyway - Doping in football eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What???
    I've posted stuff?

He's used fat burners. My opinion of that is he has used them as a masking agent. That's been my opinion from the start and it's fairly logical.
    So despite not having all the facts.
    You just assume Sakho is using the fat burner's as a masking agent despite him being cleared of doping & being banned from no reason for taking a legal substance.
    You posts are getting more & more agitated too as you dig a deeper hole for yourself. Probably best to call it a day & try and come up with a different anti- Liverpool angle.

MD1990 wrote: »
    So despite not having all the facts.
    You just assume Sakho is using the fat burner's as a masking agent despite him being cleared of doping & being banned from no reason for taking a legal substance.
    You posts are getting more & more agitated too as you dig a deeper hole for yourself. Probably best to call it a day & try and come up with a different anti- Liverpool angle.

Correct. I assume the professional footballer that spends his life training to be in peak physical condition is taking fat burners to mask something. It's not something new, bizarre or off the wall.
    Just like you might assume Rio Ferdinand had something to hide by missing a drugs test.
    This is my opinion. Not a fact. There's no need to whinge about other stuff that you think I might do. Stick to the topic at hand and leave the wah wah stuff at the door.

Correct. I assume the professional footballer that spends his life training to be in peak physical condition is taking fat burners to mask something. It's not something new, bizarre or off the wall.
    Just like you might assume Rio Ferdinand had something to hide by missing a drugs test.
    This is my opinion. Not a fact. There's no need to whinge about other stuff that you think I might do. Stick to the topic at hand and leave the wah wah stuff at the door.
    Your assuming & giving your opinion in every post. Ferdinand has nothing to do with it
    I assume that many pro footballers take legal supplements like fat burners,creatine,whey protein etc to gain an advantage.
    Sakho is innocent. The fat burner he used is legal as its not on the banned list. FACT.

Sakho is innocent. The fat burner he used is legal as its not on the banned list. FACT.

I'm still of the opinion he used it to mask something that isn't permitted. He should have no need to use fat burners.

I'm still of the opinion he used it to mask something that isn't permitted. He should have no need to use fat burners.

FFS! thats quite an accusation, opinion or not.

He had weight issues last summer. Its why Rodgers did not select him at the start of last season. There is the reason.

He had weight issues last summer. Its why Rodgers did not select him at the start of last season. There is the reason.

That's your opinion.

That's your opinion.
    Not an opinion a story reported by Tony Barrett a very reliably LFC journalist
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sakho-was-dropped-over-weight-zrnkvxqnh

• Advertisement
Advertisement