Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping in football

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I gave up when he 'proposed' Virgil Van Dijk's ACL tear is as a result of Liverpool "going nuclear" with caffeine and painkillers last season. Y'know, rather than from the body of Jordan Pickford flying through the air, scissoring round the knee of VVD's standing leg.

As was said, this is Alan Moore... if ya want to know how seriously to take him literally just read his article. There's a few somewhat interesting ideas in there, spun and tangled around so much as to become a great big convoluted mess. He's also an absolute fucker for paying attention only to the information that supports his point, pretending anything pointing to the contrary doesn't exist. He's the sort of journo that starts with his conclusion, and works backwards. In short, he's just not a viable resource for any serious argument - which I think we can probably confirm by now, given that he's been banging this drum for months and months, with no more serious publications than f'kin backpagefootball having any interest.

SteM wrote: »
    Why are you trying to have the same conversation with the same person on 2 separate threads?

Presumably because the OP posted the same post in 2 threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why are you trying to have the same conversation with the same person on 2 separate threads?

Sorry lads he started here so you can ignore that reply
    Don't want to be glogging up your thread

pjohnson wrote: »
    What thread is this again?

It's a thread in which a regular contributor - to this thread - raised a point that is now being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Presumably because the OP posted the same post in 2 threads.

The same response to it doesn't have to be put on 2 threads though. Just pick a spot, preferably not the United thread, and discuss it there. We don't need the same conversation happening in 2 different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah but Alan Moore wrote The Watchmen so he's alright.

• Advertisement

The same response to it doesn't have to be put on 2 threads though. Just pick a spot, preferably not the United thread, and discuss it there. We don't need the same conversation happening in 2 different places.

Totally agree that it shouldn't really be discussed here anyway, no idea why OP raised it here, but sure I suppose here we are.

I've said my bit on it anyway - wouldn't like a post about Alan Moore to go without a bit of clarification on the sort of 'journalist' we're dealing with. In an age of alternative facts, bullshitters like that need to be called out so people don't fall into thinking any of what he's saying is real.

(as a side note, it also just bugs me that his name is the same as a much much much better writer!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No being smart but possible say that to the chap that posted the video in two threads not the people replying to his post,

Anyway enjoy im out

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

No point in worrying about how much coffee teams challenging for 4th are drinking.

Man City heads? Are you sure?

Xavi6 (one of the sites founders) was a massive City fan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought it was something to do with inhalers or something?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

There are many strings to that chap's argument!

It's the problem with that sort of thinking - starting with the conclusion and working backwards - you see devils everywhere and end up in a whole web of wrongdoings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RasTa wrote: »

The inhalers thing is gas I've always thought. Not just pool, whether they do or not I have no idea but the amount of top level sports athletes who apparently "need" them is hilarious.

I remember one of the rugby world cups even something like 80% or so of the Irish squad were on the inhalers, one of the players used to joke about it but for the life of me I have no idea who anymore.

As always to think that doping to looking to gain competitive advantage in sport at the top level doesn't happen is naive. Not passing judgement on any particular teams, but I would say that certain managers and particularly doctors that they seem to use a lot whether they are at the club or not certainly have some shadow of suspicion attached to them. Until someone is exposed though it's all just speculation and since the Spanish government intervened that time with Fuentes it could be a while :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The inhalers thing is gas I've always thought. Not just pool, whether they do or not I have no idea but the amount of top level sports athletes who apparently "need" them is hilarious.

I remember one of the rugby world cups even something like 80% or so of the Irish squad were on the inhalers, one of the players used to joke about it but for the life of me I have no idea who anymore.

As always to think that doping to looking to gain competitive advantage in sport at the top level doesn't happen is naive. Not passing judgement on any particular teams, but I would say that certain managers and particularly doctors that they seem to use a lot whether they are at the club or not certainly have some shadow of suspicion attached to them. Until someone is exposed though it's all just speculation and since the Spanish government intervened that time with Fuentes it could be a while :)

There's an important disctinction to be made here with athletes - it's generally not the normal asthma we think of, that you get diagnosed with as a kid or whatever (triggered by allergies, environmental conditions etc), it's Excercise Induced Asthma (exercise-induced bronchoconstriction), which only really gets triggered amongst those that do high/top level sports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There's an important disctinction to be made here with athletes - it's generally not the normal asthma we think of, that you get diagnosed with as a kid or whatever (triggered by allergies, environmental conditions etc), it's Excercise Induced Asthma (exercise-induced bronchoconstriction), which only really gets triggered amongst those that do high/top level sports.

Is it?

I thought exercise induced asthma was a descriptor applied to how symptoms become known. Does not relate to elite sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I sines out of the video when yer man had the United jersey hanging up in the background, so hardly an honest, impartial observer of LFC.

However on a wider point, it is incredible nieve to think that PEDs are not used widely in European soccer. Amateur and sports with SFA money in them, like cycling, Athletics, boxing, etc have all lots of participants found out using PEDs. As a result of history, they now have stronger testing procedures, and are constantly catching athletes using drugs, but obviously not catching them all.

Are we really to believe ghat the richest sport in Europe, probably in the world, with all the shysters and dodgy characters (owners, managers, agents) does not have players using PEDs, and I'd imagine lots Og them. Of course I have no evidence for this, but it's only logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11913/12209229/andre-onana-ajax-goalkeeper-handed-12-month-suspension-for-doping-violation

Andre Onana: Ajax goalkeeper handed 12-month suspension for doping violation.

was found with Furosemide in his system. per wiki: is a loop diuretic medication used to treat fluid build-up due to heart failure, liver scarring, or kidney disease. It may also be used for the treatment of high blood pressure. It is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned drug list due to concerns that it may mask other drugs.

"On the morning of 30 October Onana did not feel well. He wanted to take a tablet. Unwittingly, however, he took Lasimac, a drug that his wife had previously been prescribed.

Ajax are appealing to CAS.

if you are feeling unwell, you dont take a random drug your wife has been prescribed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Andre Onanabole.

Advertisement