Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions in DCN

Options
  • 05-02-2013 9:18am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Bit treacherous around Skerries this morning with a couple of inches of snow. Road into Lusk looked quite icy in places. It had completley cleared by Blakes Cross though.

Anyway, though I'd start a thread for posters to provide info on road conditions around the county given the current and expected inclement weather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Hardly any snow around Swords and Northwards towards Lusk. Skerries has a few inches alright and the roads around housing estates are very slippy. Looks like it will melt quickly though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Balrothery has a good covering of snow but main roads, ok. The estates esp those up hills can be difficult to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Can I rant here about the state of the Kilshane road? I know it's not weather related but it's pure agony everytime I drive it, which is basically twice a day. I simply can't understand why FCC can't prioritise this given the amount of traffic it takes. It's a disgrace.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

239660.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

was as above in Balbriggan at 06.30am. Roads from Moylaragh and Harry Reynolds road very tretcherous - I'm pretty good at managing the car in snow, but it was tough going this morning. The snow was impacted and just like sheet glass, not even slush, just an ice-rink. And yet people weren't keeping a safe distance or even clearing the snow from their rear and side windows!!!

What is it like out there now? any thaw as yet?

Fingal Co Co doing a sterling job on the gritting as usual! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Balrothery hill was nuts this morning. A couple of cars crashed including a very nice new BMW X5. Also feel sorry for the chap who had his car crashed into on the hill. He lives there and had parked outside his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Balrothery at 9am was a disaster zone.

All the cars from up the hill, trying to get down the hill to school.
    Must have been 10 minor collisions, and cars all over the place.
    The sensible parents, had the kids well wrapped up and going on foot.
    Eventually made it out, to find FCC gritters were stuck in the same mess, pity they were'nt up the hill about 8.30am

Anyway, it's sunny now temp up to 8 deg, so should be all gone for the afternoon school run.

is the snow all gone bye-bye now or what? if its still around I might leave work early so I can make a snowman! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Little Ted wrote: »
    is the snow all gone bye-bye now or what? if its still around I might leave work early so I can make a snowman! lol

It was all cleared up by 1.

:(

it'll probably be back again tomorrow morning at 6.30 knowing my luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Well,I had a Temple Steet visit this morning at 6.45.
    Leaving things where..... Snowy.Coming home at 9 , at Balrothery , Holy Mother of God.
    Can I say a huge huge huge x 10000 Thank you to the two guys that helped me, my car adn my ten year old out fothe ditch/Side of the road.The car just went.I to be very honest Shi* myself, and let the car roll into it.
    The two guys stopped the cars coming behind me and helped by pushing the car out of the ditch and to get it stright.Then, the guy told me to put it in 2nd gear and drive stright.I had my Hazzerts on, and when I got home, I burst into tears.Of Course the 10 year old was delighted to get the day off school.I just wanted to vomit.I got such a fright.The poor girl in the car ahead of me was nose in the ditch.I think maybe a call to fingal COCO and remind them of how dangerous it is ,is in order.But if you know who thoses two guys are, give them a big hug and a kiss from me, and all my family.THANKS,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope you're OK now Cathy

Not sure if we'll get more snow, but the forecast is for the temperatures to drop overnight, so watch out on those morning commutes/drop offs etc

cathy01 - hope everyone is ok following their visit to Temple Street and the rollercoaster ride home!

next time, do yourself a favour and phone an ambulance! If you are not confident driving in icy/snowy conditions and are not comfortable with dealing with ice and skids then honestly, don't put yourself to the stress of driving in it - it is only more likely to result in an accident.

No brakes, gears to slow down, stear into the skids etc - lots of people are not comfortable doing these things, no shame in it. And if you are not able to do these things, keep safe and stay home, get the bus/train or in your case phone an ambulance. It really isn't worth it.

Glad no one was hurt, BTW. And fair play to the lads for helping you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Little Ted wrote: »
    cathy01 - hope everyone is ok following their visit to Temple Street and the rollercoaster ride home!

next time, do yourself a favour and phone an ambulance! If you are not confident driving in icy/snowy conditions and are not comfortable with dealing with ice and skids then honestly, don't put yourself to the stress of driving in it - it is only more likely to result in an accident.

No brakes, gears to slow down, stear into the skids etc - lots of people are not comfortable doing these things, no shame in it. And if you are not able to do these things, keep safe and stay home, get the bus/train or in your case phone an ambulance. It really isn't worth it.

Glad no one was hurt, BTW. And fair play to the lads for helping you out.

Well I have been driving now about 6 years and never had a serious accident,THANK GOD.Today I was goingslow, it was the road conditions.Im just glad I didnt have the 1 year old with me as well, as she would hav cried just because someone was looking at her.
    We are all fine thak God.Micra intact and ready to hit the road tomorrow for the school run. Thing is with Temple Street you get a appointment every 6 months and I would hate to let them down.I had to leave early because I had to get back early as the 1 yer old is teething and driving EVEYONE mad.

I suppose the lesson learnt is, that I managed it well,I didnt jam on the brakes , Of course I cried, Im only humen.And that was my biggest lesson, there are still ,kind careing peopl in the world that Actually care as to if your ok or not, even though they dont know you.
    :D

All could have been avoided if the gritters went up the hill, early enough. I was at the top at 9am,got to the main rd at 9.40. I fairness to locals who had walked kids to school, they were all helping cars. But cars were abandoned, stuck, skiddng and bumping off parked cars
    One Jeep trying to get up incline at the side of Pub, was skidding all over the place.......just engage the 4 wheel drive........
    The Gritting truck passed the school at 9.30 to get up hill, but was stuck in traffic chaos
    God help us if we get a serious fall of snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Hamlet Lane was an ice rink this morning. No way of stopping so i ended up sliding out in front of someone. Then met another car further down the road stuck in the middle of the road and not able to get grip. Mad stuff

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Hamlet Lane was an ice rink this morning. No way of stopping so i ended up sliding out in front of someone. Then met another car further down the road stuck in the middle of the road and not able to get grip. Mad stuff

Or to put it another way '' I was travelling too fast for the conditions, tried the brakes, and because of Ice, was unable to stop, and so slid out in front of another driver''

The road conditions were dreadful, we need to drive accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Agreed.

Most people are clueless and pay no heed to road conditions. This was but a couple of inches of snow after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

martinn123 wrote: »
    Or to put it another way '' I was travelling too fast for the conditions, tried the brakes, and because of Ice, was unable to stop, and so slid out in front of another driver''

The road conditions were dreadful, we need to drive accordingly.

So you actually know how fast I was driving do you?? I drove another 15 miles and had no problems whatsoever. I was just pointing out how bad Hamlet Lane was

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    So you actually know how fast I was driving do you?? I drove another 15 miles and had no problems whatsoever. I was just pointing out how bad Hamlet Lane was

I have no idea now fast you were driving, however if you slid in front of another car, unable to stop in the conditions, Too fast.

DCN was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leave out the personal judgments on other people's driving & stick to the driving condition in the area.

tHB

In fairness, hamlet lane and through moylaragh was tretcherous. I was literally barely moving. The lack of traction was actually just allowing my car to slide down the road - not even a foot on the accelerator. Didn't use my brakes, used the gears, but at the junction between hamlet lane and 'old' hamlet lane as I tried to turn, the car fishtailed. Then at the end of that lane as you turn into bremore because there is a slight hill on that road again I had to use the gears from a good distance back to get the car to slow down in time.

I agree that lots of people have no business on the roads in bad conditions because they do not respect the severity of the situation and drive accordingly. But without personally witnessing how someone else was driving it is a bit unfair to place the blame on them point blank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ive a front wheel drive hatch back.

no problem driving in the conditions around moylaragh or hamlet lane as Im aware of how to avoid / minimize losing traction. I spent a good ten minutes prepping the car. I was stunned at some drivers behaviour, from being too close to others to simply hockeying their brakes as soon as they started to lose control. There was a minor crash at the roundabout at moylaragh too at around 730am.

So... for anyone who may be unfamiliar with and may have had difficulty driving in the bad weather please check out this link for some really useful tips on how to drive safely in freezing conditions.

Also do a search over on the motors forum for more information.

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Winter_Maintenance/Tips%20to%20Driving%20in%20Snow%20and%20Ice.pdf

Morpheus wrote: »
    I was stunned at some drivers behaviour, from being too close to others to simply hockeying their brakes as soon as they started to lose control. There was a minor crash at the roundabout at moylaragh too at around 730am.

+1

not surprised there was a crash. I was at the next roundabout and was waiting for the driver in front of me to clear the reoundabout before I proceded. The one behind me was beeping at me to move! then when I started to enter the roundabout yer wan comes straight after me, no regard to the fact that for whatever reason I may not be able to stop or that if I were to stop/slow down I would not use my brakes so she was not going to have any warning in the form of my brake lights. I cleared the roundabout (with a bit of a slide mainly because TBH I was a bit distracted by her being up my bum) and she still didn't back off.

Good info in that link. Ta

Advertisement