Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

humanji wrote: »
    Disappointed there's no beard related achievements :(

Probably be a neck beard achievement for playing the game 120 hours. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Found this on hotukdeals .
    On PS4 and Xbox One for £39.95(€55)(you need to enter CODE - DEALSPWN4 to get around £4 off)
    http://www.thegamecollection.net/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ps4.html?tduid=e954cdd1771f279999eb8512e0d2512f

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There's a great podcast from gametrailers on twitch with one of the devs who was senior designer. Well worth the watch just to hear about how the game works. Incredible stuff.

Summary of podcast
    • The damage made to Geralt’s face when he’s intoxicated by his potion is actually displayed in cutscenes. White Honey cures it.
    • There are very very few fetch quests in the game. The team doesn’t particularly like them. Those that are there spend time developing the character that gives the quest. For instance there’s one in which you have to go from point to point with a character, and while you do he tells you in depth about him. That can influence the choice at the end of the quest.
    • Monsters can attack you while you’re meditating.
    • The AI of normal animals like sheeps and goats is pretty basic. It will tell them that there’s a bush that they might like within their radius, so they’ll go eat it. The same goes for animals or entities they’re scared of, causing them to run away.
    • If you kill that goat, it’s gonna produce a smell, and monsters may be attracted to it if there’s one that likes that kind of meat in the radius. If no one eats it and the corpse rots, a different kind of monster that eats rotten meat will be attracted.
    • If there are deers in an area wolves will hunt them, but if you kill all the deers you may see some wolves patrolling, but there will be less because there’s less game.
    • The reason why ice skating was removed from the game (very few things have been actually cut) is because creating a big fight based on a completely different set of mechanics that haven’t been explained or used before and that the players didn’t have the opportunity to master is a bad idea, as it gets people killed too easily and frustrated.
    • In some cases when you kill the monsters in an area, humans will settle it. In the prologue there’s actually a cutscene that shows is as it happens so that the players understand the mechanic. It’s not always so simple, and there are different states. Whenever you go into an area the game will check what you have and what you haven’t done, who you helped, who you killed, the decisions you made during quests and dialogue. That can change a lot of things, including the people that spawn in a village. The mechanic is simple, but it can get complex because of all the branching.
    • Monsters don’t scale with your level. If you’re way underleveled compared to a monster, you’ll do almost no damage.
    • The level of an enemy is displayed, but is its level is indicated by a skull you better stay away, because it’s way too strong for you, and it might even oneshot you.
    • The bestiary populates itself as you learn information and eventually it tells you where a monsterlives, at what times of day it appears, what it’s vulnerable to.
    • Gear has been moved around very recently to re-balance it.
    • You won’t find items you can’t use because you’re too low level. They will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. For instance the damage of a weapon will be lower, even if they will keep their “cool” elements like setting elements on fire for instance. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. That said, you’ll always get better loot as you move forward anyway. There’s no need to wait to be the right level before you get an item.
    • You can use Axii on your horse to force him not to panic during combat. Quen can be changed from defensive to offensive, and it can explode and damage enemies when it’s penetrated.
    • There was a big conversation within the team on whether Geralt could be fully nude or not. The conversation also involved the extra polygons that would be used for his penis and who would animate it while running (Editor’s Note: at this point I believed he was joking, but Monnier specified that he was actually serious). On the other side, others believed that there was a lot of female nudity in the game, so there should be male nudity as well. The result is that there’s a lot more male nudity than in previous games, but Geralt still normally wears his underwear.
    • The Gwent minigame was designed to last ten minutes tops for each match. You can win money, new cards, enter a torunament with all the best Gwent players. There are even quests linked to the game.

• Advertisement

Well.....well that's just awesome!

"In The Witcher 3, evasion is equally important during challenging combat encounters. The way in which you let loose on some poor soldier, drowner, or griffon, though, requires the sort of care, patience, and precision usually reserved for Dark Souls or Bloodborne."

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/kicking-ass-with-the-witcher-3s-complex-combat-ign-first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well.....well that's just awesome!

"In The Witcher 3, evasion is equally important during challenging combat encounters. The way in which you let loose on some poor soldier, drowner, or griffon, though, requires the sort of care, patience, and precision usually reserved for Dark Souls or Bloodborne."

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/kicking-ass-with-the-witcher-3s-complex-combat-ign-first

When can I pre-order :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Has there been any info on how this will run on console, as in will it still have all the content as the pc version? I'm pretty sure my pc won't be able to run it (presume it requires dx11?) so I was thinking of getting it on PS4.

Well this is their first game for playstation (i think) so don't have a clue. I'll be preordering on the PSN store anyway for 65. It looks to be hugely ambitious so just have to have faith it will be fine on the PS4.

Well this is their first game for playstation (i think) so don't have a clue. I'll be preordering on the PSN store anyway for 65. It looks to be hugely ambitious so just have to have faith it will be fine on the PS4.

I got it for 56 on hmv.ie using the 20% off voucher code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Has there been any info on how this will run on console, as in will it still have all the content as the pc version? I'm pretty sure my pc won't be able to run it (presume it requires dx11?) so I was thinking of getting it on PS4.

In terms of playable content, yeah it's going to be the same on console and PC.

A high end PC will certainly look better though than the consoles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No level scaling. Thank you CDPR.

I got it for 56 on hmv.ie using the 20% off voucher code

In trying to sell Bloodborne on adverts to pay for this but looks like i will have to trade it to XV or GS (shudder) for psn credit. I miss the gamesnash days of trading games online for good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Witcher games have had issues with PC before, I had to park 2 for a while before my PC could play it.

It will scale up so reckon the consoles will get a decent looking game, wouldnt be shocked if the delays were to get it running on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In terms of playable content, yeah it's going to be the same on console and PC.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Witcher games have had issues with PC before, I had to park 2 for a while before my PC could play it.

It will scale up so reckon the consoles will get a decent looking game, wouldnt be shocked if the delays were to get it running on both consoles.
    My PC is several times more powerful than my xbone and ps4. It's not even close.

Yet I always tinker with the settings because I have nagging feelings while playing the game like "The framerate is so solid, it could be better looking if I enabled this setting" and then I pump up the Anti-Aliasing or the shadows. Or alternatively, "This part of the game lags a little. I wonder what setting it is that causes the slowdown." Followed by hours of changing settings back and forth and comparing the results...........instead of actually playing the game. I've gotten a bit better at avoiding it recently when I played through Dragon age 3 but it's still a problem I have.

There is something to be said for putting the game on, and knowing I'm getting the best experience the developers could do and the same experience as everyone else. I still haven't decided if I'll get the PC version or the console one.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Discounted at 62.99 and available for pre load on Xbox One at the moment. 25GB I really expected a bigger download

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kirby wrote: »
    There is something to be said for putting the game on, and knowing I'm getting the best experience the developers could do

Knowing what some settings developers put on for their console versions of their games (Warframe, The Evil Within, Killer Is Dead, Skyrim) yeah there is something to be said... it can be awful.

Personally I just get the settings so that it looks as good as it can without going below 60fps and then I'm done. I think it'll be the same case with TW3. Have the game's res match your display's native is pretty important, too. I know some games are releasing at odd resolutions or hell, maybe the player has a monitor that isn't 1080p and can happily set the res to match it for more fps or up some other settings.

Oh well. I'm expecting the biggest difference between TW3 on console to PC is the responsiveness because of fps, anyway. That and controller support because it's sounding like the menus are made for KB/M and the rest is good for gamepad. I'm ok with this as there's a handful of game's I've used a mix of both input methods before... it's kinda fun. (yeah, nerd).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There'll be one setting that, if turned on, will reduce your pc to a quivering mess.

I'm looking at you Ubersampling :mad:

Discounted at 62.99 and available for pre load on Xbox One at the moment. 25GB I really expected a bigger download

PS4 lists it as a 50gb file, sounds more about right.

PS4 lists it as a 50gb file, sounds more about right.

50GB is a placeholder. on US PSN store its listed as 35GB
    Witcher3PS4-670x151.jpg?eaa32f

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04/16/the-witcher-3-wild-hunts-download-size-on-xbox-one-revealed/

• Advertisement

Ah okay cool, looks like the XONE changes from 25 to 30gb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I have part 2 sitting on my xbox 360 HD, is it worth playing before the third one?

I have part 2 sitting on my xbox 360 HD, is it worth playing before the third one?

Yes. It's a wonderful game. Plus you'll get a catchup on characters, lore etc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yup, play it twice, there's two very different paths through the game. Keep a save file near the end of the first act before you have to make a certain choice.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup, play it twice, there's two very different paths through the game. Keep a save file near the end of the first act before you have to make a certain choice.

Still have to side with that dickhead
    Roche
    now that you remind me

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Absolutely, that's your next month sorted until witcher 3 is released

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Kiith wrote: »
    There'll be one setting that, if turned on, will reduce your pc to a quivering mess.

I'm looking at you Ubersampling :mad:

:D When I put that on I thought my gpu had fcuked up

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

So cdpr have confirmed that the expansion pass will be $25. Most likely €25 too. Am I mad or were they saying that all dlc would be free a while back? Not complaining about it, just interested as to why they did a 180 on that.

They have 16 packs of free dlc like armour and beard styles that will be released every week after launch. then they will have 2 expansion packs, one in October and the other next year that will add around 30 hours of gameplay between them. The expansion packs are the only ones that will cost money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Ahh ok. That'll explain it alright!

Advertisement