Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

astonaidan wrote: »
    Random question guys, If Im on Skellige how much more longer is the game, I just arrived their after putting about 60ish hours into it so far

at the rate you are going you could put another 60 hours in if you are doing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Lads.... I played through the game when it was released.
    Traded it in then and there was no DLC.
    Is it worth picking up again for DLC alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I'd say so. But maybe wait until the second DLC comes out, the game will probably be cheaper then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I managed to get a cheap enough copy as a result of the Amazon mess up. Damn, this game is great. I didn't like the first Witcher, controls just felt off, and I got about 12 hours into the second before I lost my save and had no desire to go through it again. I'm about 12 hours in and just landed on Skellige. I'm about level 13 or so. Really fun game so far, combat takes a bit of getting used to. It's the first game in a while where I get so diverted, I'm not following the story missions at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Why am I playing this game in such small increments? I love it - I love it's combat and I love it's visuals. But my issue is: it feels way too rich! Is there such a concept?

I feel like a small fish dropped in a huge ocean. I have a horrible sense of direction - I don't know what to do next. I'm fearful of missing out on something. I have tried looking at guides to see where to go and what I can do, but the game is so deep and filled with content it's almost overwhelming. At the moment I have played a good few quests - not knowing if I'm progressing in story of I'm jumping the gun a bit - and I haven't really upgraded myself in any way. I haven't found ways to earn gold or XP in a consistent manner. I seem to be just earning a small few coins here, or a little bit of XP there.

Is this the way the game is intended to be experienced? Or am I playing it for the wrong reasons?

What I do at the moment is I start the game, try a quest, explore, then switch off. Here and there I will change my hairstyle or look for ways to improve my skills/stats (I don't know - it's an RPG and I'm trying to find the elements).

I spend way too much time trying to play Gwent, really. (is it called 'Gwent'? I can't remember).

This game is huge, and I love huge games, but it also takes me quite some time to find my goal and direction. The Witcher 3 is the one that has taken me the longest to get immersed in.

My cousin, who is such a AAA casual - has got over 200 hours logged into this game and I, a self-confessed midcore-gamer (I play games every day of my life at least once) can't get enthralled in this machine of a game. Do I really not like the game but am kidding myself thinking I am?

Sorry for this long and pathetic statement. And I know I can use Google to solve my problems, but I don't even know where to begin ><

Long-story short: I'm a noob at this game and I don't know what to do :pac: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Sounds just like bad habits and attitudes you've gained from the other games. You're going in with too many assumptions and worries. I know it's hard to not to think about what you might be missing... but is it so wrong to just get lost in a forest, find some quests, kill some monsters, plow some bitches and then get back to the main story? Which is already about you being just a small player in something way bigger than you. The game already compliments doing your own thing by having all of these other things to do which sometimes even connect to each other or the main quest.

^ Sounds just like bad habits and attitudes you've gained from the other games. You're going in with too many assumptions and worries. I know it's hard to not to think about what you might be missing... but is it so wrong to just get lost in a forest, find some quests, kill some monsters, plow some bitches and then get back to the main story? Which is already about you being just a small player in something way bigger than you. The game already compliments doing your own thing by having all of these other things to do which sometimes even connect to each other or the main quest.

You make a fine point. I guess there is nothing bad about just going off and getting lost doing your own thing. However, just like many other RPGs (specifically any Bethesda one) I have a habit of aiming to do something then getting distracted by something else, only to forget what I was doing in the first place! Well I suppose that's the beauty of a game like this. I don't long for linearity but maybe I'm just expecting something from this game that isn't there.

I will give it a bash tonight provided I have time and I'll see how I get on. But I haven't played it in a few weeks because of the time it asks of me. It is so big..

To reiterate Robert Ninja, just do whatever you feel like. Try not to impose any preconceptions of what is the "right" thing to do. I felt that same way about the game being too vast. I didn't like having a ton of quests available to me. I prefer linear games to a degree. I like a narrative driving me in a specific direction. I plowed through the main quest and only after did I go back and do the side quests. I was surprised that there wasn't nearly as many as I initially thought, and that they weren't rubbish filler quests at all.

Like I thought I had a ton of quests to do in Velen, only to be finished with it within an evening, not including witcher contracts. I couldn't be arsed with them to be honest. Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem like fetch quests.

To reiterate Robert Ninja, just do whatever you feel like. Try not to impose any preconceptions of what is the "right" thing to do. I felt that same way about the game being too vast. I didn't like having a ton of quests available to me. I prefer linear games to a degree. I like a narrative driving me in a specific direction. I plowed through the main quest and only after did I go back and do the side quests. I was surprised that there wasn't nearly as many as I initially thought, and that they weren't rubbish filler quests at all.

Like I thought I had a ton of quests to do in Velen, only to be finished with it within an evening, not including witcher contracts. I couldn't be arsed with them to be honest. Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem like fetch quests.

Thanks. I feel less claustrophobic (for lack of a better term) over it. I will turn it on again tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Anyone any idea on how to get better selling prices for my stuff?

I have loads of things now that should sell for 100-400 gold, but when I got to a merchant in White Orchird or Valen I get about 1/5 of this.

• Advertisement

Make sure you sell armour to armourers and swords to blacksmiths etc.

You'll never get full value for items, but corresponding merchants will always give you the best value.

sheep? wrote: »
    Make sure you sell armour to armourers and swords to blacksmiths etc.

You'll never get full value for items, but corresponding merchants will always give you the best value.

Thanks.

I have done that but still it falls miles short

I find the crafting and selling part of this game is a bit of a let down. I have like 1500 crowns now, but spend about 300 or more each time I visit a smith just to repair my gear.

I think (And I'm not sure on this), that the longer you wait to repair your gear, the more it costs. Are you repairing just your own gear, or also the stuff you find? If you are, don't.

Have you done any monster contracts yet? They tend to yield some nice, expensive gear that you can sell on. What gear are you using at the moment? Is it Witcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Started NG+ on Death March yesterday. Got a bit overconfident after defeating some tough enemies before unceremoniously getting ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves, think I could be in for a bit of slog.

Any tips for NG+ play throughs? Beware I played on "Normal" mode on my original play through and didn't use potions at all, so any tips here welcome. I wear Griffin armor and play "sign heavy".

I think (And I'm not sure on this), that the longer you wait to repair your gear, the more it costs. Are you repairing just your own gear, or also the stuff you find? If you are, don't.

Have you done any monster contracts yet? They tend to yield some nice, expensive gear that you can sell on. What gear are you using at the moment? Is it Witcher?

I am using the Silver and steel serpent swords, No idea on Armor as it is a mix match and looks sh1t.

Okey dokey, as soon as you can, I'd look into witcher gear then (depending on your level). If you want to know how, I'll spoiler it below (in case you don't want me to).
    Some armourers and blacksmiths sell 'maps' that lead to special witcher gear diagrams. These diagrams can let you construct some cool gear, based on three schools: The Cat School (light armour and swords, favours quick stamina regeneration and quick attacks, with heavy bleed effects, low protection), The Griffin School (Medium armour, decent protection, favours heavy use of signs over swords), The Bear School (Heavy armour, lets you tank, favours strong attacks, but painfully slow stamina regeneration, so little sign use). If you downloaded the free DLC, there's also the Wolf armour. This is a 'jack of all trades' medium armour.

The first one available, with regards to level restriction, is the Griffin armour. Can't remember what vendors sell the maps, but they're somewhere in Velen. The treasure/diagram hunts divide opinion a little, but I like the searches and enjoyed the process of making my master-crafted Cat Gear.

If you need more info, there are plenty of guides out there.

Also, on the topic of repairing, and it costing gold etc...

Definitely do some contracts, and loot as much armour/swords as you can to sell on. It'll eventually all stack up. To be honest, past repairing, crafting, and buying some maps, there wasn't much more I spent my gold on. Good luck!

Okey dokey, as soon as you can, I'd look into witcher gear then (depending on your level). If you want to know how, I'll spoiler it below (in case you don't want me to).
    Some armourers and blacksmiths sell 'maps' that lead to special witcher gear diagrams. These diagrams can let you construct some cool gear, based on three schools: The Cat School (light armour and swords, favours quick stamina regeneration and quick attacks, with heavy bleed effects, low protection), The Griffin School (Medium armour, decent protection, favours heavy use of signs over swords), The Bear School (Heavy armour, lets you tank, favours strong attacks, but painfully slow stamina regeneration, so little sign use). If you downloaded the free DLC, there's also the Wolf armour. This is a 'jack of all trades' medium armour.

The first one available, with regards to level restriction, is the Griffin armour. Can't remember what vendors sell the maps, but they're somewhere in Velen. The treasure/diagram hunts divide opinion a little, but I like the searches and enjoyed the process of making my master-crafted Cat Gear.

If you need more info, there are plenty of guides out there.

Also, on the topic of repairing, and it costing gold etc...

Definitely do some contracts, and loot as much armour/swords as you can to sell on. It'll eventually all stack up. To be honest, past repairing, crafting, and buying some maps, there wasn't much more I spent my gold on. Good luck!

Is Wither gear usually much better?

I had the original Witcher swords and they were terrible.

Best gear you can get in the game when fully upgraded. IMO it's well worth getting, and which school just depends on the style of play you prefer.

The original witcher swords (viper) could be upgraded in White Orchard, but yeah, pretty soon they become below par.

If I recall correctly, you can wear griffin gear at level 11 (or 13). If you have a full set at this level, you'll be wearing and using the best you can get for your level.

Have a wee look at this guide if you want:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-armor-griffin-school-gear/

Best gear you can get in the game when fully upgraded. IMO it's well worth getting, and which school just depends on the style of play you prefer.

The original witcher swords (viper) could be upgraded in White Orchard, but yeah, pretty soon they become below par.

If I recall correctly, you can wear griffin gear at level 11 (or 13). If you have a full set at this level, you'll be wearing and using the best you can get for your level.

Have a wee look at this guide if you want:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-armor-griffin-school-gear/

Thanks for that!!!

Yeah the Griffen stuff looks good stat wise, terrible to actually look at!!!

Haha, yeah I'm not a fan of it visually, but it is a deadly armour set to have as soon as you can. The Bear School looks deadly though. It's the last one you'll get access to though, I think you have to be level 20 or something and all the maps are on Skellige. Griffin will sort you out though. I'm also a fan of the Feline set, since it suits my play style and it's usually what I end up investing my money into.

Might try the Wolf set route next time round.

• Advertisement

I like the look of the Wolven armour, and it seems to match my playstyle too. I picked up the basic armour set, and just need to get the swords now. I have the plans, just need to get to a blacksmith, but it was bugged, in that I couldn't talk to him.

IS there any quicker way to get better gear?

I find that every time I level up i find all my stuff gets obsolete very fast, so find I am always wearing a hodgepodge of different gear :(

Playing through the expansion, during the
    auction house heist
    quest, you attempt to open a box surrounded by candles in a cut-scene and Geralt accidentally puts out the candles as he curses. I lol'd.

Haha! I remember that, a prime example of why CDPR are great. They can take the piss out of themselves.

Also, DAMN YOU. I thought it was going to be an update for Blood and Wine. :P

Ugh, damn you twice! I just finished Heart of Stone, and I'm dying for more Witcher! I'm literally trawling through the map, eliminating those ? marks, and hoping that I'll stumble upon a few quests. All I've left to do are Gwent ones, and I'm not that desperate yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

chrislad wrote: »
    Ugh, damn you twice! I just finished Heart of Stone, and I'm dying for more Witcher! I'm literally trawling through the map, eliminating those ? marks, and hoping that I'll stumble upon a few quests. All I've left to do are Gwent ones, and I'm not that desperate yet. ;)

Battle the high level Arch Griffin on the island, he's level 48 I think. A right bastard!!!

Corvo wrote: »
    Battle the high level Arch Griffin on the island, he's level 48 I think. A right bastard!!!

Already dead. A lot of crossbows shots and Quen! I found a level 40 one somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

chrislad wrote: »
    Already dead. A lot of crossbows shots and Quen! I found a level 40 one somewhere too.

time to start whoring and play Gwent

I am level 15 and I fought a level 22 Chort.

Holy crap that was a long and tough fight.

Then I fount some level 20 Alghouls and I could not even hurt them. Sometimes the game makes my head hurt.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    time to start whoring and play Gwent

Yup, I just plan to get to level 41 (about 500 exp off it) so I can use the heavy Skellige armour, but going to rune it so that it behaves like light armour. Going to respec too, as I made some iffy choices initially. Get all ready for the next DLC!

Advertisement