Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe I'm wrong but I remember going from level 27 to level 30 when I went to either the Isle of Mists or to Battle of Kaer Morhen, can anyone else verify if this is a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Skerries wrote: »
    maybe I'm wrong but I remember going from level 27 to level 30 when I went to either the Isle of Mists or to Battle of Kaer Morhen, can anyone else verify if this is a thing?

Sort of. Throughout the battle of Kaer Morhan you gain 3 or 4 levels very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

The exp you get from main quests is quite high iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm level 41 so I'm not too worried about the DLC. I just want to use my Black Unicorn sword!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Really struggling to get into this game. Bought it on release but it just hasn't clicked with me, but I really want it to, so a few tips would be appreciated.
    I've just finished Wandering in the dark. It was a real pain in the ass because, by the time I got to the golem I had no food and practically no health so I only had to be hit once and I was dead.
    Finally cleared it last night and the sense of relief I felt was immense when I emerged out into the sunlight.
    So where to now?
    First things first though, turns out I was playing on death March so adjusted it down a level, I still can't heal through meditation, is that right?
    What's a good plan of action, so I don't get bogged down like that again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

weiland79 wrote: »
    Really struggling to get into this game. Bought it on release but it just hasn't clicked with me, but I really want it to, so a few tips would be appreciated.
    I've just finished Wandering in the dark. It was a real pain in the ass because, by the time I got to the golem I had no food and practically no health so I only had to be hit once and I was dead.
    Finally cleared it last night and the sense of relief I felt was immense when I emerged out into the sunlight.
    So where to now?
    First things first though, turns out I was playing on death March so adjusted it down a level, I still can't heal through meditation, is that right?
    What's a good plan of action, so I don't get bogged down like that again?

I'd say play it on normal to be honest. Not trying to take away from people who like completing games on the hardest settings (Dark Souls Mode...) but if you are struggling/getting frustrated then why are you just adding to it?

Idea of those harder difficulty is for someone who already loves the game and wants the extra challenge.

You will be able to heal with meditation than which will also replace all potions once you have a strong alcohol. There is a balance between having a game thats a challenge and just frustrating. If you find that easy [which you probably will now lol] then replay later on death march and NG+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I'd say play it on normal to be honest. Not trying to take away from people who like completing games on the hardest settings (Dark Souls Mode...) but if you are struggling/getting frustrated then why are you just adding to it?

Idea of those harder difficulty is for someone who already loves the game and wants the extra challenge.

You will be able to heal with meditation than which will also replace all potions once you have a strong alcohol. There is a balance between having a game thats a challenge and just frustrating. If you find that easy [which you probably will now lol] then replay later on death march and NG+
    So normal is two levels down from death March?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    FB page confirm it will arrive 1st half of 2016, also share the official cover artwork

12963781_10153746469099331_212507030429090792_n.jpg?oh=f3efaddf2b2fa2212388ef41735f6517&oe=57BB61A5

Anyone else think the monster in the box art looks like the gargoyle things that transport you to Anor Londo in dark souls

weiland79 wrote: »
    So normal is two levels down from death March?

Yep. I played my first play through on normal. I think it lets you enjoy the game mode, get used to the mechanics. If you're finding it easier later in, crank it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

A few screens of Blood and wine:

http://imgur.com/a/zj2Ug

• Advertisement

ah not those fecking annoying centipede things from the first game again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

1st time I've played a Witcher game and I absolutely loved it. What next??? I haven't bought any of the DLCs yet, are they worth a look? How much are they and are there any offers? (PS4) €25 for the expansion pass worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

L'prof wrote: »
    1st time I've played a Witcher game and I absolutely loved it. What next??? I haven't bought any of the DLCs yet, are they worth a look? How much are they and are there any offers? (PS4) €25 for the expansion pass worth it?

1 and 2 are brilliant in a very different way.

More linear than 3 but still very good.

3 is pushing OOT for my best game ever even if I ****ed up my end game and havent played it since out of sheer annoyance at myself. :(

i didnt get a happy ending and i blame myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

dreamers75 wrote: »

Same here,am going to wait till Blood and Wine is out,complete all dlc and NG+ it then..

One of my favourite games in 30 years playing them..

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1 and 2 are brilliant in a very different way.

More linear than 3 but still very good.

3 is pushing OOT for my best game ever even if I ****ed up my end game and havent played it since out of sheer annoyance at myself. :(

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Same here,am going to wait till Blood and Wine is out,complete all dlc and NG+ it then..

One of my favourite games in 30 years playing them..

Ah no! I think I watched that ending online, I would have been disgusted!!! Ye were too harsh on poor auld Cirilla lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I bought the season pass as I knew the DLC would be great so looking forward to blood and wine. Definitely a top game of the past 10 years...really showed me how an open world game should be done. I played fallout 4 after it and I just couldn't get into it. I'll definitely replay the witcher from the start again when I've the time. Incredible game

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

ah not those fecking annoying centipede things from the first game again!

Was thinking the same thing, they were some of the tougher beasties from W1 if I recall. But then again it's a different engine from the first game with much improved combat mechanics so, while I'm sure they'll be challenging, we'll have a lot more options for dispatching them. It was only during the Heart of Stone dlc that I thought to respec the skill trees and try some of the other combat tactics available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm half wa through the main game and I'm wondering if I can pop in and out of quests in the Heart of stone dlc or are you transported to a foreign land or something. I'm finding the main story a bit unengaging na dthe hate from Yen a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can just keep doing Yens quests until she ****s off I believe, there aren't too many

I'm half wa through the main game and I'm wondering if I can pop in and out of quests in the Heart of stone dlc or are you transported to a foreign land or something. I'm finding the main story a bit unengaging na dthe hate from Yen a bit annoying.

Is that the quest where you wind up on half a boat on the top of a mountain?! What a amazing location! I loved it

• Advertisement

Great quest. Also, an hilarious scene to be had later in Kaer Morhen involving teleportation, if you go with Triss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

sheep? wrote: »
    Great quest. Also, an hilarious scene to be had later in Kaer Morhen involving teleportation, if you go with Triss.

Yeah I'm at that stage- I didn't realise that i'd have so much interaction with Yen after that. i can't think of another game where you interact so much with someone who doesn't like you!

Oh btw, didn't answer your question: No teleportation to another land or anything in HoS. I'd recommend finishing the main quest first though, some of the fights can be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished the main game, what a game, easily the longest game ive put hours into, sorry Skyrim. Got a ending I was happy with, now Im just sad I have to wait so long till the next one or even a Elder Scrolls :(
    Guess Ill try Fallout, bought it for my nephew havent played it at all :o

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just finished the main game, what a game, easily the longest game ive put hours into, sorry Skyrim. Got a ending I was happy with, now Im just sad I have to wait so long till the next one or even a Elder Scrolls :(
    Guess Ill try Fallout, bought it for my nephew havent played it at all :o

have you got the DLC?
    one of if not the only DLC that is worthy of purchasing as it is fantastic and was worth it alone for the first part but the second part is going to be twice as long when it comes out so do yourself a favour and buy it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll get all the DLC when the game is finally released for Linux or I upgrade my system. By then it should be pretty cheap, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

have you got the DLC?
    one of if not the only DLC that is worthy of purchasing as it is fantastic and was worth it alone for the first part but the second part is going to be twice as long when it comes out so do yourself a favour and buy it now

Yeah have the DLC, which Im going to give myself a little breather before tackling, clear up the map a bit aswell. So all in all start DLC maybe 2 weeks :D

Has anybody gotten the hang of Gwent??? Thought I was doing ok but then some Shopkeeper absolutely annihilated me! Any foolproof quide on how to get better at it or is it even worth my time?

L'prof wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten the hang of Gwent??? Thought I was doing ok but then some Shopkeeper absolutely annihilated me! Any foolproof quide on how to get better at it or is it even worth my time?

Once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy I think.

I never used anything except the northern realms, and the Foltest leader card that dispels any weather effects.

Some quick tips:

Buy EVERY card you can from merchants/innkeepers.

Play EVERY person you can. You'll get a card for beating them once.

There are no penalties to losing except the loss of money, so you won't lose cards.

Play Gwent in yellow in conversation will always lead to a good card. The first person with this off the top of my head is the Baron. If you missed playing him, his card is available in his study after the Velen quests.

Tactics I used:

I tended to use the blue sun commandos an awful lot. Their ability to double point etc was invaluable. Also the command horn. The scorch card is very useful, but you have to time the use right, as it could take out your own card.

Also one final thing I found myself doing regularly was throwing the first round. Bait the opponent into using their good cards, all out for the second round, and hold on to a character card for the third round. This is great if you have a load of spies. I used to throw them all out in the 1st round, get a heap of cards. I might go into the 2nd round 1-0 down, but 6-12 on cards.

Alternatively, I went all out and got such an immediately commanding lead in the first round, the opponent forfeited quickly. This makes them conservative in the second round, as they need to win the third as well.

Sorry for the essay, but get as many cards as you can is the best start!

• Advertisement

I used that spy strategy quite a lot

Advertisement