Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just ordered the Blood and Wine Gwent deck which includes the Northern Realm & Nilf Empire decks (only 2 decks i use anyway) and some neutral cards thrown in as well. Can't wait to get it.

Launch trailer for Blood and Wine. Looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭Glebee

This game has ruined all other games for me. Since ive finished the last DLC cant find my next game that comes close to Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pipercadet

Bought this game and no matter how hard I try to like it I can't. Actually I hate it. Skyrim is a way better game. The story here is so involving you better have 100 plus hours free in one sitting to follow it either that or have a photographic memory. You get a little synopses of the story on restart but this just makes you want to turn it off before it begins. This story just isn't engaging. My RPG dedication only goes as far as Zelda or KOTOR. This is just way too involving and in other words dull.
    The environment too is just way too harsh at the start. I mean everything is stronger than you and you have to avoid everything. I didn't know I was playing a simulation (with dragons) thought this was a "game",
    I'm not a super casual gamer but I do like it when the game mechanics evolve with your playing experience. Start off easier, get you engaged and then turn up the difficulty as you progress.
    But most of all the controls and the camera are possibly the worst I've ever come across. Most N64 games are better to react than this game.
    You'll be in the middle of a battle when the camera keeps going off the attackers position. Change it back and it happens again and again. And the sluggishness of controls is horrendous. An arteritic 90 year old stoner has more responsiveness than this game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

pipercadet wrote: »
    An arteritic 90 year old stoner has more responsiveness than this game

Welcome to boards :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Bought this game and no matter how hard I try to like it I can't. Actually I hate it. Skyrim is a way better game. The story here is so involving you better have 100 plus hours free in one sitting to follow it either that or have a photographic memory. You get a little synopses of the story on restart but this just makes you want to turn it off before it begins. This story just isn't engaging. My RPG dedication only goes as far as Zelda or KOTOR. This is just way too involving and in other words dull.
    The environment too is just way too harsh at the start. I mean everything is stronger than you and you have to avoid everything. I didn't know I was playing a simulation (with dragons) thought this was a "game",
    I'm not a super casual gamer but I do like it when the game mechanics evolve with your playing experience. Start off easier, get you engaged and then turn up the difficulty as you progress.
    But most of all the controls and the camera are possibly the worst I've ever come across. Most N64 games are better to react than this game.
    You'll be in the middle of a battle when the camera keeps going off the attackers position. Change it back and it happens again and again. And the sluggishness of controls is horrendous. An arteritic 90 year old stoner has more responsiveness than this game

I do agree with you on the bits about difficulty. I mean nearly every human NPC i fight is able to put up a very good fight, against a guy who is trained and enhanced to fight monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I really struggled with it too and didn't turn it back on for the guts of a year after launch.
    I can't agree that Skyrim is the better game, the story in The Witcher is far superior as is the combat, although after coming from putting many months into Bloodborne the combat is still somewhat lacking and I'm disappointed with the lack of learning new techniques as I progress.

Since I picked it back up I haven't been able to put it down. There are some great characters and the setting is a joy to explore on horse back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

TW3 controls weren't great but Skyrim's combat is terrible. It looks like a bad joke when compared to other first person melee combat games.

As for 'responsiveness'. Maybe that has something to do with its atrocious performance. On consoles it's 30fps with deep, frequent drops. Any game where dodging is this important is a 60+fps game. I had to play it @720p to maintain a decent FPS like that because I couldn't stomach fighting at the console performance levels and was willing to sacrafice some graphics for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Completed The Witcher 3 last night, second time around, in preparation for Blood and Wine and maybe heart of Stone if I find the time and the ending I got this time around left me quite emotionally drained.
    Hunting with Ciri one last time and eventually seeing her off as she becomes Empress
    left me a bit teary eyed I have to say. Don't exactly know if that's considered the happy ending or not though

I got bored of Skyrim after the first village i found, awful main and side quests with lifeless characters, the opposite of Witcher. Also the ONLY unresponsive controls i found in Witcher were for poor ol Roach. Other than that, i found the controls fine, yeah Geralt would get caught on the odd bit of environment but it was grand.

I went back to it recently and found the combat a small bit lacking bit that was ONLY because i had just finished Dark Souls 3 and that combat makes every other games look like complete shyte.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I got bored of Skyrim after the first village i found, awful main and side quests with lifeless characters, the opposite of Witcher. Also the ONLY unresponsive controls i found in Witcher were for poor ol Roach. Other than that, i found the controls fine, yeah Geralt would get caught on the odd bit of environment but it was grand.

I went back to it recently and found the combat a small bit lacking bit that was ONLY because i had just finished Dark Souls 3 and that combat makes every other games look like complete shyte.

I got the impression that the developers knew that players would find Roach a complete nightmare to navigate and weren't able to master the movements unlike Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption. There are a few in game joke references to how clumsy the AI for Roache is to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pipercadet

Maybe it is the ps4's responsiveness, It'd probably be better on a high-spec gaming pc.
    Ever play football in a field where cows have been grazing, (fall over, ball goes everywhere, covered in ****) obscure reference but that's what the game feels like to me.
    I'll keep playing it and hopefully "bond". Or just wait for Mass Effect Andromeda.

I'm on PS4 and it's been absolutely fine for me. Different strokes I spose an all that. It's mad how Fallout was my main open world 'RPG' (if you can call it that) to go to and I hadn't played the previous Witcher games but now Witcher 3 has made Fallout 4 look and play so badly. I'd say Blood and Wine will be a better experience than the whole of Fallout 4 and it's 'DLC' combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I got the impression that the developers knew that players would find Roach a complete nightmare to navigate and weren't able to master the movements unlike Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption. There are a few in game joke references to how clumsy the AI for Roache is to handle.

Also their April Fool's this year.

Review out, didn't want to read much but very happy with this line

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-the-witcher-3-blood-and-wine-review
    Quite a few fights forced me to break from my traditional method of quen-roll-aard-slash-hack-repeat which, again, is quite impressive after hundreds of fights in the main game.

I was only thinking yesterday how Quen was a bit overpowered. Only started using it during Deathmarch playthrough and actually made some of the fights easier than playing on normal mode. Good to see they'll be mixing up the enemies fighting techniques a bit.

Review out, didn't want to read much but very happy with this line

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-the-witcher-3-blood-and-wine-review

I was only thinking yesterday how Quen was a bit overpowered. Only started using it during Deathmarch playthrough and actually made some of the fights easier than playing on normal mode. Good to see they'll be mixing up the enemies fighting techniques a bit.

There are a few enemies who still knock you over when using Quen, Olgierd Von Emeric(somwthing) he kept on stunning me while I was using it. Same the the frog prince guy.

One thing I would like in the game is more slot space for new moves.

I find that since they give you over 40, but only 12 slots between Attack, Vitality, Signs and the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I'm still on the frog prince boss from the last DLC on death march difficulty. I've been distracted with dark souls 3 and now uncharted 4. I'm going to finish uncharted and then complete both DLC's back to back. and then finish off DS3.

not a bad time for games ha.

Any tips for the frog he was a PITA

For the frog, yeah drop down to normal difficulty for a still tough fight. I think bombs helped.

Patch notes out for new update to go along with new dlc. There will be a book you can buy 'The marvelous guide to Gwent' that will keep track of all your Gwent cards and tell you where to find missing ones. Ton of additions and fixes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

There will be a book you can buy 'The marvelous guide to Gwent' that will keep track of all your Gwent cards and tell you where to find missing ones.

ooh that will be handy!

• Advertisement

For the frog, yeah drop down to normal difficulty for a still tough fight. I think bombs helped.

Patch notes out for new update to go along with new dlc. There will be a book you can buy 'The marvelous guide to Gwent' that will keep track of all your Gwent cards and tell you where to find missing ones. Ton of additions and fixes as well.

Full 1.20 Changlog here http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/mkt/document/Changelog-1.20-ENG_l9fczl2s3h.pdf

Theres an option added to upscale the enemies if you find them too easy, can be disabled also if you then find it too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Forgot how funny this game could be.

Novigrad - Cultural Capital of the World?

Money just taken out of my psn account to pay for blood and wine. Just checked and it's ready for download. Had to start mine manual. Auto download never seems to work.

Had been preparing for the dlc, made superior swallow, thunderbolt and vampire oil. Found a quest to fight some girl, bate her, then back to hers for riding. Never change Witcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

That the one in Skellige? :D

Money just taken out of my psn account to pay for blood and wine. Just checked and it's ready for download. Had to start mine manual. Auto download never seems to work.

Had been preparing for the dlc, made superior swallow, thunderbolt and vampire oil. Found a quest to fight some girl, bate her, then back to hers for riding. Never change Witcher.

Money taken out last night as well. Should be able to start playing tomorrow night from 11 so the email I received tells me. Just finished heart of Stone Friday so it makes prefect timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Right, I may have gone mad.

I've updated and installed the latest patch 1.12.1 but I'm seeing zero changes within the game, no changes to Character Screen, altering mob health and all that from the patch notes.

Will it require Blood and Wine for all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

The changes are part of v1.2 due after the weekend but appears to have released earlier for some on XB1 (play from Steam so can't say for certain).

From dev on CDPR forums: "Patch 1.20 is not supposed to be out on any platforms until after the weekend. We are looking into this. Thank you for your patience."

saneman wrote: »
    The changes are part of v1.2 due after the weekend but appears to have released earlier for some on XB1 (play from Steam so can't say for certain).

From dev on CDPR forums: "Patch 1.20 is not supposed to be out on any platforms until after the weekend. We are looking into this. Thank you for your patience."

Was just coming to ask what the story was with the patch after putting my game in and not getting anything. Cheers.

Oh for anyone planning on picking it up and doesn't have a season pass, it's still at €17.99 on Xbox. Will be 19.99 on Tuesday I believe.

Messing around in this last night, decided to pick up the rest of the trophies from Hearts of Stone. Getting the Killed It one for Gwent has me really looking forward to new matches in Blood and Wine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I finally picked this up over the weekend, popped it into the PS4 last night and got the 1.12 patch and it was a bit too late to start playing it so thats what I'm going at tonight.

Advertisement