Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Can someone tell me do i have far left to go in the main quest
    im rounding up his buddies to fight the wild hunt in kaer morhen

Still a good chunk to go. Where many games would make that the end, there's a whole bit more afterwards instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Skerries wrote: »
    I pity the poor PS players, we dangle this great series of games in front of them for the 3rd game and then say that's it you get no more :D

Wait, what now??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Spear wrote: »
    Still a good chunk to go. Where many games would make that the end, there's a whole bit more afterwards instead.

yeah at least another 15% left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

faceman wrote: »
    Wait, what now??

Yeah, that is only the end to act 2. You have a whole other act left to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Wait, what now??

I think it's in reference to Witcher 1&2 not being released on PS.

S'alright. I have my knackered PC that's currently coughing up a lung, but running W2.

Also, started the books. Great stuff, really enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Skerries wrote: »
    I pity the poor PS players, we dangle this great series of games in front of them for the 3rd game and then say that's it you get no more :D

I don't understand this videogame tribalism. "Ye" didn't dangle anything in front of PS players (unless you work for CDPR).

The first game is now complete junk, while the second one is only worth playing on PC (it was impressive they got it running on the 360, but the amount of loading screens and tearing is painful).

And a lot of PS players will be multiformat owners anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sheep? wrote: »
    I think it's in reference to Witcher 1&2 not being released on PS.

S'alright. I have my knackered PC that's currently coughing up a lung, but running W2.

Ah ok. Thought there would be no more PS games.

Loving the game so far. I'm even listening to all the dialogue, something I often skip in the Fallout series.

Haven't a clue what I'm doing though.

currently on the 4th one, handy reading on the train into work

LunarSea wrote: »
    I don't understand this videogame tribalism. "Ye" didn't dangle anything in front of PS players (unless you work for CDPR).

I'm only yanking your chain, I'm a PS player as well
    It's just nice that the PC has some big name brands that consoles don't have a claim on

I know we also have RTS, MOBA, and MMORPG's over console but Witcher is a special snow flake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

LunarSea wrote: »
    The first game is now complete junk

G'way outta that. First one's still my fave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Same as that, The Last Wish is excellent. Looking forward to playing the second game again after reading the books.

I ploughed through The Last Wish before Blood and Wine and was pleasantly surprised with the choice of
    entering the tourny as Sir Ravix of Fourhorn from the 'A Question of Price' short story.

Riding around Toussaint is just class. Loving the humorous tone as well. The devs were clearly just having so much craic with this one.

I have so many questions! Who can help a brother out? :o

So Im level 2 and coming to terms with how long it takes to level up. I havent progressed the main quest yet beyond my overweight buddy sitting in the tavern skulling pints. Hes lazy. why doesnt he just come with me? Ive been trying to find random side quests in the area via the notice board and by being nosey. All bar one "?" are discovered now on the map. The last "?" is behind a level 4 ghost who wields a sword in a cemetery that has one of those power stones so I havent been able to kill that yet.

So here are my questions.
    1. Is there any point in doing random fight encounters? Unless its a quest there doesnt seem to be XP wins for doing them?
    2. Is there such thing as 'companions' similar to fallout/Skyrim?
    3. Any way to prevent my weapons/armour of damaging? (One of my pet peeves in games is weapons and armour that needs to be repaired) Its super expensive from this lad I helped find the chap who tried to burn his house down.
    4. Im becoming overburdened weight wise. I saved up HARD to buy my first saddlebags. Its costly to have the above lad dismantle found goods. Does it help if create potions or does that make me even worse? I loot everything but I have no idea whats really junk and whats really useful
    5. Any levelling up tips?
    6. I have gained about 5 experience points which I have put into the Shield magic thing and a combat thing. Given I have only 2 available slots, am I doing the right thing?

Cheers for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

1. Is there any point in doing random fight encounters? Unless its a quest there doesnt seem to be XP wins for doing them?
    3. Any way to prevent my weapons/armour of damaging? (One of my pet peeves in games is weapons and armour that needs to be repaired) Its super expensive from this lad I helped find the chap who tried to burn his house down.
    4. Im becoming overburdened weight wise. I saved up HARD to buy my first saddlebags. Its costly to have the above lad dismantle found goods. Does it help if create potions or does that make me even worse? I loot everything but I have no idea whats really junk and whats really useful
    6. I have gained about 5 experience points which I have put into the Shield magic thing and a combat thing. Given I have only 2 available slots, am I doing the right thing?

Cheers for the help!
    1. Quests and hunts are the only real way to gain xp. The amount you get from random battles just isn't worth grinding out. There are a lot more side quests and hunts in the next area, White orchard is a bit like an extended tutorial.
    2. You occasionally get temporary companions but mostly you'll be on your own.
    3. You can get repair kits. One thing to note is the weapon / armour degraded warning pops at 50% durability but they don't get unusable until 10% IIRC.
    4. Sell most it. If it breaks down into something you need or don't already have you might want to break it down but most of the stuff at this stage breaks down onto the same things and are better off being sold.
      If you're short on gold, and haven't already done this, you could loot the battle site from the opening cinematic and sell everything to the blacksmith.
    5. Light attack, quen, and axii are the main areas I focused on.
    6. You get more slots a certain level milestones so the fewer the better starting off.

I have so many questions! Who can help a brother out? :o

So Im level 2 and coming to terms with how long it takes to level up. I havent progressed the main quest yet beyond my overweight buddy sitting in the tavern skulling pints. Hes lazy. why doesnt he just come with me? Ive been trying to find random side quests in the area via the notice board and by being nosey. All bar one "?" are discovered now on the map. The last "?" is behind a level 4 ghost who wields a sword in a cemetery that has one of those power stones so I havent been able to kill that yet.

Cheers for the help!

Answers! (as best as I can)

1. Short answer: Yes. In the beginning definitely. Because you need the **** they drop for selling or crafting/alchemy.

2. No companions for 98% of questing!

3. No way to avoid wear and tear. Best thing is to loot as much as possible, as this will get you loads of weapon and armour repair kits. Also, go regularly and early to get your stuff repaired. And try not to get hit too much, that'll save on costs. :pac:

4. I'd avoid buying stuff for Roach just now. Maybe saddlebags if you ABSOLUTELY have to. Later, you can take part in races. The prizes are all stuff for her, like saddles, saddlebags and blinders. Potions and food don't impact your weight. Definitely sell swords/armour you don't need. I wouldn't worry too much about dismantling them at the moment. You need sweet sweet coin for now. The gear you'll want to make doesn't really come into play until around lv 11 when you get your witcher gear diagrams.

5. Generally, the main quests give you more experience. But remember, you're still technically in the tutorial area. Game hasn't really started yet.

6. This is up to you and your playstyle, but shield and sword are good bets. You can get a potion later that rests these if you found you bought abilities you don't really use, so don't be afraid to experiment I say.

General tips:

The first few levels are difficult! Power through and you won't regret it! ^_^

Witcher contracts generally have the best monetary reward.

PLAY GWENT. It's a great side game and crops up in some main quests. You don't HAVE to play it, but highly recommended.

Use block/parry for humans with weapons and dodge/roll for monsters.

And above all....

When the time of the White Frost comes, don't eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

The new location Toussaint is definitely stunning, not even a topic of discussion!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Answers! (as best as I can)

1. Short answer: Yes. In the beginning definitely. Because you need the **** they drop for selling or crafting/alchemy.

2. No companions for 98% of questing!

3. No way to avoid wear and tear. Best thing is to loot as much as possible, as this will get you loads of weapon and armour repair kits. Also, go regularly and early to get your stuff repaired. And try not to get hit too much, that'll save on costs. :pac:

4. I'd avoid buying stuff for Roach just now. Maybe saddlebags if you ABSOLUTELY have to. Later, you can take part in races. The prizes are all stuff for her, like saddles, saddlebags and blinders. Potions and food don't impact your weight. Definitely sell swords/armour you don't need. I wouldn't worry too much about dismantling them at the moment. You need sweet sweet coin for now. The gear you'll want to make doesn't really come into play until around lv 11 when you get your witcher gear diagrams.

5. Generally, the main quests give you more experience. But remember, you're still technically in the tutorial area. Game hasn't really started yet.

6. This is up to you and your playstyle, but shield and sword are good bets. You can get a potion later that rests these if you found you bought abilities you don't really use, so don't be afraid to experiment I say.

General tips:

The first few levels are difficult! Power through and you won't regret it! ^_^

Witcher contracts generally have the best monetary reward.

PLAY GWENT. It's a great side game and crops up in some main quests. You don't HAVE to play it, but highly recommended.

Use block/parry for humans with weapons and dodge/roll for monsters.

And above all....

When the time of the White Frost comes, don't eat yellow snow.

Don't you mean the Witcher is a great side game to Gwent :D

"I really love that Gwent game!"

"oh cool I never heard of it"

"yeah you may have heard of it's lesser name The Witcher 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've never played any faction but Northern Realms up until this evening, spamming my spies and decoys all over the gaff.
    Just built the Skellige deck and won the Gwent tourny. Difficult, but satisfying to learn and implement a new deck. I kept expecting to be able to grab loads more from my deck, but it was far more tense. Great stuff.

Also noticed there's a trophy to kill Golyat with a crossbow to the eye. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blood & Wine, burst out laughing at
    the dwarves protesting the Skellige gwent tournament.
    "Hands off our Gwent! No new fúcking factions!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Good night sweet prince, I'm finally ready to move on after 175.6hrs. That's 7.3 days or 4.5 working weeks!!! If only I could find something I enjoyed this much to do in my spare time that would actually pay me for my efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition confirmed !
    How is it different from the basic edition?

Doodleking wrote: »
    How is it different from the basic edition?

I assume it'll have all DLC included.

Edit: When you brew an oil or potion do you have to keep re making them or how do you restock on them?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I assume it'll have all DLC included.

Edit: When you brew an oil or potion do you have to keep re making them or how do you restock on them?

Meditate with alcohest in your inventory and it'll be replaced

Meditate with alcohest in your inventory and it'll be replaced

Ah wasn't sure if that refilled oils !! Should I brew stuff then once I have all the ingredients?

I tend to brew stuff as soon as I can yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ah wasn't sure if that refilled oils !! Should I brew stuff then once I have all the ingredients?
    Oils never run out, only pots.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Oils never run out, only pots.

Pot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pot?

Potions.

To replenish them just meditate with any form of alcohol in your bags and they'll come back

Advertisement