Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

after over a year and playing it for an unbelievable amount of time in that year i have finally managed to complete my gwent collection, the book helped me narrow it down to velen but in the end i was galloping around the map and a new mark (craywich) popped up and low and behold there was a merchant with 2 cards to sell, i feel quite stupid now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Combat is frustrating me to hell.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but... I'm dropping to Easy mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

I just noticed that there are difficulties levels for Gwent and I keep getting beaten during the tournament - are there any implications if I lower the Gwent difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Not that I know of psyconia.

KOKiki, once you get used to it and reach a higher level, you'll be throwing that level right back up, I guarantee! ^_^

sheep? wrote: »
    Not that I know of psyconia.

KOKiki, once you get used to it and reach a higher level, you'll be throwing that level right back up, I guarantee! ^_^

Nah, I'll use that new "Keep enemies up-leveled" button instead.

I've so much story to go through yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played this at launch on PS4 but never got beyond White Orchard so starting it again. Any of you W3 veterans have any tips for someone just starting out (other than stick with it this time)? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Played this at launch on PS4 but never got beyond White Orchard so starting it again. Any of you W3 veterans have any tips for someone just starting out (other than stick with it this time)? :)

Just reiterate what has already been said by other users

Gwent is amazing, buy all cards in sight and play everyone possible

Side missions/question marks will help you level up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My GTX 1080 arrived. So I booted up the witcher and I'm just amazed. I threw everything to max. Hairworks and everything to full. It didn't even blink. Bahaha. It's ridiculous. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@ Kirby

What FPS you getting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L'prof wrote: »
    Just reiterate what has already been said by other users

Gwent is amazing, buy all cards in sight and play everyone possible

Side missions/question marks will help you level up

Yeah, don't bother going around trying to grind XP by killing enemies, just stick to main/side missions for that.

Also, loot every sword and armour that you can, and then sell when you can. If you do get the DLC (which I recommend), then you'll need the cash. Not so much in just the main game.

The starting area has a couple of good sword diagrams (Viper school, I believe), so get them and stick with those until you can get another Witcher set.

Once you get into Gwent, it can be difficult to find some of the last cards. There's a book you can get that'll help, but it only narrows down the area. If you want the final bit of help, here's a checklist that'll make it a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Physical Gwent cards getting ready to be shipped out
    Soooooooon....

CnXhj4sXgAANu4t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Epic Friday news thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I didn't know that was a thing, and it seemed i missed my chance to get them since you can only buy them during a limited time. Or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished B&W. Calling it a DLC feels like shortchanging it a bit, it's a fully-fledged game. Brilliant too.
    Got the happy ending. That smile to the camera at the end was amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I didn't know that was a thing, and it seemed i missed my chance to get them since you can only buy them during a limited time. Or am i missing something?

I think the site is redeemgwent.com where you email a pic of your receipt showing you bought the dlc and then you get a link to buy the decks but it is limited quantity so don't know if you can still order them.

I got an email yesterday that mines been shipped but I'd say will be a couple of weeks from America.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think the site is redeemgwent.com where you email a pic of your receipt showing you bought the dlc and then you get a link to buy the decks but it is limited quantity so don't know if you can still order them.

Thank you for your interest.
    It is no longer possible to obtain the physical Limited Edition Gwent Card sets.

Yeah shame those physical cards were a timed exclusive.

Did some lengthy quest underground with Keira which was good fun, the gargoyle chap was tough so let her keep him distracted while I rolled/dodged about taking pot shots at him. Managed to hit level 7 by the end of the quest and came out to find a boat, it was a refreshing change of pace just sailing about the place.

Eventually found some treasure at the top of a hill guarded by a level 13 alghoul, red skull above him. Checked my bestiary and applied some necrophage oil and used Axii on him. Managed to kill him and looted a cool new steel sword - Glory of the North. Rocking that and my Viper Silver sword. Tons of quests to do now.

Loving this game. :)

Did some lengthy quest underground with Keira which was good fun, the gargoyle chap was tough so let her keep him distracted while I rolled/dodged about taking pot shots at him. Managed to hit level 7 by the end of the quest and came out to find a boat, it was a refreshing change of pace just sailing about the place.

Eventually found some treasure at the top of a hill guarded by a level 13 alghoul, red skull above him. Checked my bestiary and applied some necrophage oil and used Axii on him. Managed to kill him and looted a cool new steel sword - Glory of the North. Rocking that and my Viper Silver sword. Tons of quests to do now.

Nice. Alghouls are absolute diiiiiicks without axii. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How do you use the boats? I haven't been able to figure out how to command them, only in that quest with Yen and the Djinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

How do you use the boats? I haven't been able to figure out how to command them, only in that quest with Yen and the Djinn.
    You have to jump in then interact with the rudder at the back. After that it's like controlling Roach or you can open the map and fast travel.

• Advertisement

I remember this one....

With Yen, she steers. So you have to interact with the prow and Geralt sits down, continuing the quest.

I wandered around the flippin' boat for 5 mins trying to figure it out. :(

Anyways, that's probably where the confusion hit.

This game feels SOOOO much nicer with battles on Easy mode :D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This game feels SOOOO much nicer with battles on Easy mode :D

I went for Story and Sword. I had no interest in item management or crafting so it meant I could play the game as I wanted while the fights were marginally challenging at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I went for Story and Sword. I had no interest in item management or crafting so it meant I could play the game as I wanted while the fights were marginally challenging at times.

I played it on whatever the default is. Didn't do any crafting, alchemy etc unless a quest specifically required it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones, saved just before that fight with almost zero health, no food or healing items and not enough materials to craft decoctions.

had to complete the fight flawlessly before I could continue. :mad: It very nearly made me stop playing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Why not turn it down at that point? I like a challenge but cheapness and frustrations aren't challenging....they are detrimental to enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

Gwent - Crinfrid Reavers Dragon Hunter...

I thought I was at the end...of this damned quest and after checking I think I've missed out on the above card. Its very odd though as one if the ways of getting it was to free the trader from bandits and then he would have 4 cards for you - I did this (ages ago) but I do not recall every getting one of these cards. There are to other ways of getting the card - in white orchard - but the innkeeper does not appear - and in midcopse - but no trader sells it either.

Any ideas - can you win it through a random ?
    Its a pity I was enjoying this @ and the close of the game...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

psyconia wrote: »
    Gwent - Crinfrid Reavers Dragon Hunter...

I thought I was at the end...of this damned quest and after checking I think I've missed out on the above card. Its very odd though as one if the ways of getting it was to free the trader from bandits and then he would have 4 cards for you - I did this (ages ago) but I do not recall every getting one of these cards. There are to other ways of getting the card - in white orchard - but the innkeeper does not appear - and in midcopse - but no trader sells it either.

Any ideas - can you win it through a random ?
    Its a pity I was enjoying this @ and the close of the game...

From Gwentcards.com, the innkeeper in White Orchard disappears and doesn't come back, but they patched in a trader after 1.04 that should be in the village somewhere, I think right outside the tavern. He should have the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Kirby wrote: »
    Why not turn it down at that point? I like a challenge but cheapness and frustrations aren't challenging....they are detrimental to enjoyment.

I stuck it out on principle, it was my own fault for not being prepared adequately, and I knew I'd get it if I kept at it. It hasn't happened since. :cool:

• Advertisement

Playing it on the second easiest setting myself, not sure if that's the default one. Wouldn't have the patience for Blood & Broken Bones, not yet anyway.

Came across the first quest I had to leave until later as I was getting my ass handed to me -
    fighting a werewolf under some house
    . Actually I didn't do too bad the first attempt but gave up after the 3rd, was level 7 at the time. Up to level 10 now so might go back and give it another shot. Did some
    foglet contract
    quest which was tricky also.

Finished the Keira Metz quest chain which was interesting enough. :pac:

Just looking at the map, there's a crazy amout of stuff to do in Velen (not to mention I haven't really gotten into Gwent yet either, just buying up cards as I find them but have only played a few games). Riding around on horseback hasn't got old yet either, taking in the sights and sounds. Gorgeous game.

Also slowly making my way through this thread from the start picking up some tips here and there. Tis interesting to see how the game has improved since launch too, with stash boxes/increased text size and the like. :)

Advertisement