Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Keira's quests are very good, the Tower of Mice is one of my favourite side missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sheep? wrote: »
    Keira's quests are very good, the Tower of Mice is one of my favourite side missions.
    I bloody knew that
    the girl had turned into a vengeful Wraith, as it made sense in-lore. But I thought that letting her lover bury her bones would settle her spirit. NOPE, he's dead now thanks to me.

I don't think there was a way to "win" in that scenario.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I bloody knew that
    the girl had turned into a vengeful Wraith, as it made sense in-lore. But I thought that letting her lover bury her bones would settle her spirit. NOPE, he's dead now thanks to me.

I don't think there was a way to "win" in that scenario.
    Yeah, it was brutal! It thought it was a 'nice' microcosm of Velen and just how ****ing miserable the place is. I mean Jesus.....the poor girl was alive and paralysed when the rats came...

I think her lover knew he was going to die, and wanted to atone for leaving her behind (albeit unknowingly).

AHhhhhhhh.

I only finished this about a week ago, and I've been ploughing through the books. Combined with the consistent updates on this thread, I think another run might be on the cards soon. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah, it was brutal! It thought it was a 'nice' microcosm of Velen and just how ****ing miserable the place is. I mean Jesus.....the poor girl was alive and paralysed when the rats came...

I think her lover knew he was going to die, and wanted to atone for leaving her behind (albeit unknowingly).

AHhhhhhhh.

I only finished this about a week ago, and I've been ploughing through the books. Combined with the consistent updates on this thread, I think another run might be on the cards soon. :pac:

Are the books worth a look lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

L'prof wrote: »
    Are the books worth a look lads?

I would say absolutely yes. but they're a little odd.

There a few books that make up the overarching 'ciri' story, and there are a couple of what are essentially short story collections, yet sort of maintain an ongoing narrative - its kind of hard to describe.

I read the books after playing witcher 2, and the amount of names / places / lore that is established in the books is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

currently reading the fifth book after finishing the game + dlc and all the characters that pop up that you know is great so I am going to replay Witcher 2 and go down the Scoia'tael (Iorveth) route this time as it is different to the Roche path

I'm loving the books. The first two collections of short stories are taken from magazine publications I think, and were not chronologically strict.

But the collections put them in order and set the ground work for the Ciri saga.

The stories remind me of Neil Gaiman, especially as he draws from folk and fairy tales. Definitely worth trying imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

...I think another run might be on the cards soon. :pac:

Well I'll still be here posting away with my slow progress. Even if it is a year after everyone else. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

after finishing the main game and all quests i have decided to discover all locations, its like torture doin this for skellige, if you have not got there yet try do as man as possible while playing main game .

doing them in one sitting will make you hate the boat, swimming and the game and if it wasnt for fiend decoction id of quit

recyclops wrote: »
    after finishing the main game and all quests i have decided to discover all locations, its like torture doin this for skellige, if you have not got there yet try do as man as possible while playing main game .

doing them in one sitting will make you hate the boat, swimming and the game and if it wasnt for fiend decoction id of quit

I hated boat travel after picking up all the caches in Skellige. Handy for picking up cash though by selling on your armour and weapons! Overburdening is a pain too!

• Advertisement

If you have a spare ability point there's also Strong Back under the general skills.

I hated boat travel after picking up all the caches in Skellige. Handy for picking up cash though by selling on your armour and weapons! Overburdening is a pain too!

yeah id nearly tell people do do all of them in skellige before starting the main quests there and youd be flush with cash

recyclops wrote: »
    yeah id nearly tell people do do all of them in skellige before starting the main quests there and youd be flush with cash

To a point. I did find it hard to offload stuff because I had so much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

Hi There my Gwent journey continues...
    I have realised that the DLC for the cards changes some of the names of the cards so maybe things are not so bad for me...
    However another problem - I am missing perhaps 6 random cards to finish.

I there any way of knowing which merchants I can still win from? There is nowhere obvious I have not been on the map. I know the guide to gwent says there is about 10 or so players to play - but god knows where they are.

Thanks,...

psyconia wrote: »
    Hi There my Gwent journey continues...
    I have realised that the DLC for the cards changes some of the names of the cards so maybe things are not so bad for me...
    However another problem - I am missing perhaps 6 random cards to finish.

I there any way of knowing which merchants I can still win from? There is nowhere obvious I have not been on the map. I know the guide to gwent says there is about 10 or so players to play - but god knows where they are.

Thanks,...

the two i were missing where in a town that i had never ridden through so the merchant never showed up, by pure chance i got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

https://www.primagames.com/games/witcher-3/tips/where-find-every-gwent-card-witcher-3-wild-hunt

I had four cards left to get and then used the above link to narrow down what I had missed. Won't take long to get the full deck using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sale on the Google Play version of the books for anyone interested, most are €2 except Blood of Elves, which is the first novel, and the newest one I believe.

Short stories are €1.99 though, and well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I got this for Xmas and played it a bit at first but couldn't really get into it. I left it for a while until last week when I started back into it. My God. Has to be the most addictive game I've ever played. It doesn't get old. I feel like I've done nothing yet and i have 38 hours played.

I always hated RPGs and games like this. I tried skyrim but could not get into it at all. This is just unreal. I thought I'd never use alchemy or potions in a game but I'm actually loving it in this. Even the signs are unreal. I just used igni at the start because I was just going to hack and slash my way through but as you go on you learn to use different signs for different situations.

I'm only level 14 so far and I've not done a lot of the main mission, but the side mission with the Baron is my favourite side mission from any game ever, without doubt.

Got my Gwent decks, can't wait to get home after work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Are you in Ireland? My shipment said they left the US on Wednesday, expected delivery in about a weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mine still hasn't even been dispatched yet and I ordered both decks

Shipped on 15th, so took exactly a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah right all different shipping dates so, enjoy man!

hefferboi wrote: »
    I got this for Xmas and played it a bit at first but couldn't really get into it. I left it for a while until last week when I started back into it. My God. Has to be the most addictive game I've ever played. It doesn't get old. I feel like I've done nothing yet and i have 38 hours played.

I always hated RPGs and games like this. I tried skyrim but could not get into it at all. This is just unreal. I thought I'd never use alchemy or potions in a game but I'm actually loving it in this. Even the signs are unreal. I just used igni at the start because I was just going to hack and slash my way through but as you go on you learn to use different signs for different situations.

I'm only level 14 so far and I've not done a lot of the main mission, but the side mission with the Baron is my favourite side mission from any game ever, without doubt.

The game is fantastic isn't it!

The Baron quest chain was brilliant but the outcome I ended up with annoyed me a bit so I restored back to a previous save and lost a few levels in the process. I didn't like
    the fact that I auto-failed part of a Gwent quest because I couldn't win a unqiue card from the Baron (dude hanged himself). I did get a card from his desk, not sure it's the same one I might have one anyway. On reading up it seems whichever choice I make he leaves the keep so I've just gone off doing other quests until I'm ready to go back to it. Will play him at Gwent first. Saving a few kids in exchange for killing an entire village plus the Baron and his missus didn't seem like a fair trade off. :D

Decided to go do some contract quests and the Griffon School Gear treasure hunt quest instead. Was up til 3am until I finally got all the armour and both swords. Took ages selling all the items I'd hoarded in my stash since starting the game, have 4k gold now and back up to level 11. Delighted. :D

Sidequest Wild at Heart

This really is a depressing place.
    I left the woman alive, so that she can go to her grave knowing she caused the deaths of both her sister and her love. Enjoy the rest of your miserable life!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    TThe Baron quest chain was brilliant but the outcome I ended up with annoyed me a bit so I restored back to a previous save and lost a few levels in the process. I didn't like
    the fact that I auto-failed part of a Gwent quest because I couldn't win a unqiue card from the Baron (dude hanged himself). I did get a card from his desk, not sure it's the same one I might have one anyway. On reading up it seems whichever choice I make he leaves the keep so I've just gone off doing other quests until I'm ready to go back to it. Will play him at Gwent first. Saving a few kids in exchange for killing an entire village plus the Baron and his missus didn't seem like a fair trade off. :D
    I don't think there was any truly happy scenario in that quest. This game can be sooo harsh at times! Such is life I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Andrew76 wrote: »
    The game is fantastic isn't it!

The Baron quest chain was brilliant but the outcome I ended up with annoyed me a bit so I restored back to a previous save and lost a few levels in the process. I didn't like

Decided to go do some contract quests and the Griffon School Gear treasure hunt quest instead. Was up til 3am until I finally got all the armour and both swords. Took ages selling all the items I'd hoarded in my stash since starting the game, have 4k gold now and back up to level 11. Delighted. :D
    I'm only a small bit ahead of you in this. I got the Griffin gear there a few days ago. I really must learn how to play Gwent. It's the only part of it I haven't got a grasp on.

Just one question to the lads who finished it, what's the best way to get the most coin when you're selling your swords and armour? I've swords that are worth 800 but when I try sell them I'm only getting a fraction of what they're worth.

I don't think there was any truly happy scenario in that quest. This game can be sooo harsh at times! Such is life I guess

Agreed. Was a bit annoyed I never got the chance to
    kill those 3 crones
    . The characters and stories are great (not sure if they are copied exactly from the books) - the wife has zero interest in gaming but anytime I load up the Witcher she makes a point of watching - 'so where are we again in this? What happened to x?'. :pac:
    hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm only a small bit ahead of you in this. I got the Griffin gear there a few days ago. I really must learn how to play Gwent. It's the only part of it I haven't got a grasp on.

Just one question to the lads who finished it, what's the best way to get the most coin when you're selling your swords and armour? I've swords that are worth 800 but when I try sell them I'm only getting a fraction of what they're worth.

I'd be interested in this also. I fast travelled between Novigrad, Crow's Perch and Oxenfurt to check the best price before selling stuff. The blacksmith (that doesn't show on the map) in Oxenfurt seem to give me the best price on Swords. Sold some stuff in Novigrad also.

Sell armour to armourers and swords to smiths, you'll usually get the best you can off of the merchant that deals in the goods you're selling.

There's a bookshop in Novigrad as well, so save your books for him.

Personally, I found that the further you get into the game, the issue of the merchant not having enough coin is the biggest problem! ^_^

The smith in Hierarch Square is the best in my opinion, usually the lad I unload all my stuff on.

Ye probably haven't reached there yet, but for the meantime Oxenfurt is grand.

Really, merchants shaft you so much in this game and you'd be hard pressed to sell anything at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's standard RPG fare where you only get a fraction of what an item is worth when you sell to merchants

Advertisement