Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

styer wrote: »
    No, I dont think I am...
    basically I 1/3 defeat him and he turns into the flying monster.. Then after a few tries the bats usually kill me, I attack him when he dives down to the ground but I cant replenish my health bar enough between bat attack and diving attacks to surives

Dive and Dodge when he is flying. A red circle appears when he is about to land, Dodge away but stay close ti get 2_3 hits.

Use vampire oil and quen.
    Lots

No, I dont think I am...
    basically I 1/3 defeat him and he turns into the flying monster.. Then after a few tries the bats usually kill me, I attack him when he dives down to the ground but I cant replenish my health bar enough between bat attack and diving attacks to surives

I beefed up the quen sign as much as possible and used grandmaster bear armour with its massive quen bonus and laughed off his attacks, after previously being destroyed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Thanks lads, I will go back to a previous save and upgrade from medium grandmaster armour to the heavy bear stuff and dodge and roll! By the way, great game, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

The bat attacks can be avoided altogether with a well timed roll
    left or right just as the swarm touches ground. Also avoid the "pools" he leaves behind after a ground attack, they'll stun if you roll/move in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No, I dont think I am...

Just run around the edge of the arena and he will never hit you with the attack. You don't even need to dodge or roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Did they do a graphics upgrade on this for pc? I went back to it yesterday and damn it looks so good..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Did they do a graphics upgrade on this for pc? I went back to it yesterday and damn it looks so good..

What have you noticed that's changed? Is performance any better/worse? Man I'm dying to play this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

What have you noticed that's changed? Is performance any better/worse? Man I'm dying to play this again.

Performance is pretty good, 1600p on a 290x runs well, better than xfire actually.
    I dunno, just looks prettier than I remembered.

I have this installing at the moment after only recently getting an Xbone. I played Arkham Knight to ease me into things, now I'm ready to tackle something a bit meatier. I am here looking for a few 'before playing' tips.

I am new to The Witcher series, but read up on some of the lore last night and some points from the previous games. I'm a part-time gamer, but when I like a game I do put many hours into it. Previous games in this bracket include Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Fallout:NV, GTA 5, the Arkham series. The Witcher 3 is coming across quite Skyrimmy to me, which wouldn't be a bad thing, is this the actual case?

stankratz wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 is coming across quite Skyrimmy to me, which wouldn't be a bad thing, is this the actual case?

The only thing similar is swords and spells? Which is too broad to really call 'skyrimmy'. The combat, story, style, characters, graphics, presentation... all very different.

I guess it's an RPG, although quite a different kind than TES.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

stankratz wrote: »
    I have this installing at the moment after only recently getting an Xbone. I played Arkham Knight to ease me into things, now I'm ready to tackle something a bit meatier. I am here looking for a few 'before playing' tips.

I am new to The Witcher series, but read up on some of the lore last night and some points from the previous games. I'm a part-time gamer, but when I like a game I do put many hours into it. Previous games in this bracket include Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Fallout:NV, GTA 5, the Arkham series. The Witcher 3 is coming across quite Skyrimmy to me, which wouldn't be a bad thing, is this the actual case?

I was like you couple of months ago. Skyrim is Duplo Lego while The Witcher 3 is superior Technic Lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I adored Witcher 3 but cd project red aren't exactly expert story tellers. There is a certain clunky amateur feeling to the main story. There are pointless story threads and conversations that go nowhere. The pacing is not great and the end of the game has virtually no ramp up to it at all. Sedate talky missions and then bam......end of game mission. The lead up to Kaer morhen was done much better then the ending was to be frank.

The levelling system and difficulty curve is all over the place too. You hit a certain point around level 15 where everything just becomes super easy. The hardest part of the game is the beginning and that simply shouldn't be the case. It's not that you become too powerful....I mean you do....but its the combat has nothing new to throw at you. It has blown its load at that point.

As much as they got right with the witcher, and they got a hell of a lot right, there are things they could improve upon for sure and things other games did better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I think you're right, but on the combat, if you haven't tried the DLC yet, have a go. The difficulty is ramped up quite a bit. (Just if you're looking for a wee bit more Geralt).

The story is a strange one imo. I agree, I think it's a bitty, and the final act feels rushed, but they've done a good job considering the size and scope of the game. It's a good step in the right direction in overall open world story telling. I'm excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077's story and if they continue on the path of learning as they create. Story is the one area of gaming as a whole that really needs more....attention.

I think Blood and Wine is their best contained story. Coherent and absorbing, but that's probably down to the smaller size of it. Although saying that, it's still huge.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. Only thing is, after waiting on it to install from disc, it now needs an 18gb update. Don't think I'll be starting it tonight somehow.

Wow!! 18 gigs......They've certainly all racked up over the months. Definitely worth it, especially the last one which overhauled the inventory system and improved graphics.

Also, there's a load of free DLC missions and content to get as well if you're interested.

sheep? wrote: »
    Story is the one area of gaming as a whole that really needs more....attention.

I would agree with this if it wasn't for the regression of gameplay and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just noticed on my ps4 that inly 8.5% if players got the first trophy you get in B&W 'the witchers gone south'. That means over 90% of Witcher players on ps4 never played B&W. I understand people moor have traded it or wasn't their cuppa but 90% seems awfully high. Ye're missing out lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Kirby wrote: »
    I adored Witcher 3 but cd project red aren't exactly expert story tellers. There is a certain clunky amateur feeling to the main story. There are pointless story threads and conversations that go nowhere. The pacing is not great and the end of the game has virtually no ramp up to it at all. Sedate talky missions and then bam......end of game mission. The lead up to Kaer morhen was done much better then the ending was to be frank.

The levelling system and difficulty curve is all over the place too. You hit a certain point around level 15 where everything just becomes super easy. The hardest part of the game is the beginning and that simply shouldn't be the case. It's not that you become too powerful....I mean you do....but its the combat has nothing new to throw at you. It has blown its load at that point.

As much as they got right with the witcher, and they got a hell of a lot right, there are things they could improve upon for sure and things other games did better.

Thats exactly like the books. Its like he could have gone on for 3 or four more books, but woke up cranky one day and decided to tie it all up in the space of a couple of chapters. really jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The deluxe Witcher statues are now up on pre-order

Geralt
    Ciri
    Yennefer
    Triss
    Eredin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just noticed on my ps4 that inly 8.5% if players got the first trophy you get in B&W 'the witchers gone south'. That means over 90% of Witcher players on ps4 never played B&W. I understand people moor have traded it or wasn't their cuppa but 90% seems awfully high. Ye're missing out lads!

I think it's because the base game is so bloody overwhelming with content I imagine some feel they got their money's worth. Few games say they are 100 hours & actually follow through on that.
    Restarted my game last week as I bought the expansions for €20. It's actually an overwhelming game, that is my biggest criticism & why I stopped playing my first playthrough. I am only after meeting the Crones again. You do a few quests & then you are levels ahead of all those side quests. The werewolves are still bastard hard for me mind. Take 3/4 goes for me to kill them. The regenerating health kills me & I wish there was werewolf oil not sure if the cursed oil is working :(
    Might buy thay Geralt statue if it's good quality :o

• Advertisement

Naw, tis the cursed oil alright.

Remember, your level affects the difficulty of the enemies. It could be that all the werewolves you've met have been a few levels above you.

If not, igni works well, it stuns them for a few seconds. Roll behind them, mash quick attack. Also, use thunderbolt. A quick and furious assault tends to work well against werewolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Might be of interest to anyone who hasnt made the jump yet. the Game of the Year version of this can be got here
    http://www.base.com/buy/product/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-of-the-year-edition-xbox-one/dgc-w3gotyx1.htm

it works out at about 40€ plus parcelmotel costs. thats a lot of game for the money.

PS4 is the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Might be of interest to anyone who hasnt made the jump yet. the Game of the Year version of this can be got here
    http://www.base.com/buy/product/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-of-the-year-edition-xbox-one/dgc-w3gotyx1.htm

it works out at about 40€ plus parcelmotel costs. thats a lot of game for the money.

PS4 is the same price.

Deal of the Year nevermind game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Save games aren't compatible on console. Keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Bit of an odd request but if anyone here has picked picked up the real life gwent decks (both of em) and the instructions are the same in both decks. Would you be willing to part with them or scan and email them.

I stupidly missed ordering them, i thought u had to be given a code :( and now i have to make do with the polish decks ( fine for me as i know the rules etc) but i want to get mates interested and i am terrible at explaining rules or what different leaders do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

recyclops wrote: »
    Bit of an odd request but if anyone here has picked picked up the real life gwent decks (both of em) and the instructions are the same in both decks. Would you be willing to part with them or scan and email them.

I stupidly missed ordering them, i thought u had to be given a code :( and now i have to make do with the polish decks ( fine for me as i know the rules etc) but i want to get mates interested and i am terrible at explaining rules or what different leaders do etc.

http://imgur.com/a/jX4nR

That link should have the cards and you can print them off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

edgecutter wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/a/jX4nR

That link should have the cards and you can print them off

cheers for this but i already have the cards man its the game instructions just in case anybody had a spare copy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I don't have much time to play games anymore. When I do get to play this game I try to devote a few hours to it. So I'm just finished my first play through of the base game and have started the first expansion. I've been playing since release. :mad:

I'm on PC tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Still early days for me in the game. Am level 10 and decided to take on the quest to search for the griffin armour as the recommended level is 12.

During one of the early parts of the mission I was in a cave where part of the floor goes on fire. I then moved into a chamber and some monster thing that looked werewolf-ish appeared. I was running around the room when all of a sudden another enemy appeared: a level 20 Luchen! Clearly well above my pay grade. I had to flee a bit as I couldn't dent the Luchen.

Anyway the Luchen killed the other enemy and eventually he just went away allowing me to loot the cave!

Weird! Presumably that wasn't supposed to happen?!?

• Advertisement

Where abouts was this? I assume it was a Leshen? I have to admit it sounds a little alien to me! First time I encountered a Leshen was on Skellige.

Is it possible you wandered a little off the path? Worked well for you though!

Advertisement