Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Shougeki wrote: »
    There is also mod's there to modify this [havem't used them myself, so cannot comment]. Running out of XP & quests now, lvl 27 and just tying up loose ends before meeting that stupid
    tramp Yennifer
    in Skellige, which I think is just before I feck off to
    Kaer Moerhan

Just as a matter of interest, any point in doing expansions before finishing the first game?

I'm on xbox one so no mods for me I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/820/

Always full XP is one that I find mandatory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So ive begun my third attempt to get stuck into this game.
    Every single community,gaming site,streamer,youtuber I know of rate it up there with the best games ever made.
    I really want to get it but as of yet after two previous attempts it just hasn't clicked with me.
    Previously I just got distracted and couldn't play past 2-3 hours and just left it there as one for the future.
    I really hope this time I get it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dcully wrote: »
    Every single community,gaming site,streamer,youtuber I know of rate it up there with the best games ever made.
    I really want to get it but as of yet after two previous attempts it just hasn't clicked with me.
    Previously I just got distracted and couldn't play past 2-3 hours and just left it there as one for the future.

Get the Viper Blades and then get out of White Orchard. Once you do, finish a few of the story mission and met a few of the characters that'll be around for a while, you'll settle into the swing of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

^

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/820/

Always full XP is one that I find mandatory.

Isn't that one kinda cheating though? I do see you are using the Prep one etc. However being lvl 27 about to had off to
    Kaer Moerhen
    does seem to be a little low, and that I wont hit 36 or so for the Mastercrafted gear?

• Advertisement

I don't even look at the xp number that pops up to be honest.

Isn't that one kinda cheating though? I do see you are using the Prep one etc. However being lvl 27 about to had off to
    Kaer Moerhen
    does seem to be a little low, and that I wont hit 36 or so for the Mastercrafted gear?

I suppose all mods regarding balancing can be considered cheating but I don't see it that way since I'm not doing it to be overpowered or make the game outright easier (in fact I'm still changing options in the mods to make it harder). I've also completed the game vanilla once already.

The original XP rewards are done terribly. This just allows me to progress through quests in an order that suits me which is better for immersion while still leveling up and getting stronger. I can go back to do 'low level' quests and still feel like they're worth it in terms of leveling up skills (and the enemies are still strong because of mod options). Along with this http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1670/? it just makes the most sense to me. Sure there's level 30 quests I'm doing while level 20 but it's not cheating to me because no bandit with a rusty sword should be able to kill a witcher in full armour with one hit. That's not even difficulty it's just a progression wall. The mod(s) eliminates the traditional grinding that other RPGs demand you to do in order to be able to tackle certain quests, because to me that way of leveling and grinding doesn't actually match TW3's core gameplay mechanics or even the story considering Geralt has regained full memory and I've already felt like i leveled him enough in TW1/2 so he should be able to handle himself reasonably at this point no matter the enemy.

I'm still finding the game too easy though. I think it's the OP build that you can make with adrenaline. I might just remove the 'undying' skill. It's the source of me being able to pretty much not give a feck as long as I keep the adrenaline points up. It wasn't OP in vanilla (because enemies could kill your lifebar twice over in one hit) but with the damage balancing the mods do it has become OP. So yeah turning it off might just be the easiest decision. The skill should've just had a cooldown like the defensive/adrenaline skill that allows 6% chance for instant kill against non-boss enemy but only every 180s. Even better, triggering 'undying' should've not only put it on cooldown it should lock out adrenaline for about half a minute imo. No mods for that unfortunately. Only skill-overhaul ones which I guess I might consider, too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Dcully wrote: »

Maybe it simply isn't for you. Is this the kind of game you'd typically play? Have you played any of the previous games? It took me a couple of attempts to get into the second game as the prologue wasn't great. This game is certainly the most accessible however.

I wouldn't worry about particular gear. Mostly keep swapping up your gear as you come across it and use the right signs and oils for your enemies. Remember that Geralt fights like a dancer so keep dodging and rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

5uspect wrote: »
    Maybe it simply isn't for you. Is this the kind of game you'd typically play? Have you played any of the previous games? It took me a couple of attempts to get into the second game as the prologue wasn't great. This game is certainly the most accessible however.

I wouldn't worry about particular gear. Mostly keep swapping up your gear as you come across it and use the right signs and oils for your enemies. Remember that Geralt fights like a dancer so keep dodging and rolling.

On starting this game I hadn't played any of the previous games and wasn't sure if this was a genre that I'd truly enjoy, but my lord...genuinely one of the most engrossing games I have ever encountered. I was genuinely saddened once I had consumed it and all the expansions. I fear no game I ever lay my hands on will live live up to it! Can't wait for Cyberpunk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This video kind of sums up why I got too frustrated with TW3 to continue.

• Advertisement

That's why I turned off the minimap. Only seldom check full map and I try to limit it to signposts or rest areas for roleplaying.

That's why I turned off the minimap. Only seldom check full map and I try to limit it to signposts or rest areas for roleplaying.

Did you use a mod to do this? Sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ya I started to rely less and less on the minimap and if i can and just head out into the wilderness leaving the roads. Ya tend to come across some really nice environments in the world. Doing a NG+ run through at the moment and just landed in Crookback bog. Its a really cool section of the map especially if you get a vantage point overlooking the bog and try and pick out landmarks and make your way through it.

There's a native toggle for it in the HUD options but I do use FriendlyHUD mod to change some things.

You can have it appear on witcher senses (which I used to but disabled) or you can bind it to appear on holding of a key. If I hold M it pops up just for that moment (with configurable fade delay). This is for when there's some missions where the characters don't tell me where to go. Mostly they'll say "West of the village" or some such, and then I just look at the sky and figure out which way is north and try to find things naturally. But if they say nothing I have no choice to use the map. However holding J (journal) will briefly show me the current objective (similar to minimap hotkey) which sometimes gives me an idea of where I'm supposed to go without using the map even if if the NPCs didn't mention specifics.

Learning the landmarks and getting used to navigating visually is awesome. Stumbling upon an NPC, getting a contract from them and finishing it to the end without ever looking at any kind of maps completely changes the experience. Especially when combined with other immersion and balancing mods like preparations so I have to sit down and use chemical bases to replenish oils and potions, apply the oil beforehand (not allow re-apply in combat) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Might introduce this no map shenanigans myself. Getting a tad bored on my 2nd playthrough.

Can anyone recommend any graphics mods? A lot of mixed reviews on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I like the maps

tumblr_odedz2Hlh11r2s10go1_500.jpg

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Might introduce this no map shenanigans myself. Getting a tad bored on my 2nd playthrough.

Can anyone recommend any graphics mods? A lot of mixed reviews on them.

I'm running these:

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

More Shadows- One of my faves. Important one IMO.

Lore-friendly Silver Swords - Makes em' shiny like Silver :D

No Dirty Lens Effect CURRENT_YEAR visual effects. Had to get rid of it.

Super Turbo lighting Mod Helped me with some color tints, too. Not too drastic a lighting change either despite the name. It's actually quite subtle which is better IMO.

The Wild Nudity Project - Remove Lingerie Standalone ver NSFW. Check the files. Only get the lingerie one for immersion otherwise it's dumb.

BLOOD Just ALT blood.

Ciri - Less Makeup - Ciri's crap at makeup application and she wouldn't even have time apply that glory-hole-tier job in TW3s story. Also she looks better IMO and we can see the similarities between adult Ciri and child Ciri now.

Cerys an Craite - No Makeup - Another horrible makeup job that eminds me of the makeup shotgun Homer made. Getting rid of it seemed like the best idea. She looks better and tougher which fits her character.

Skellige Ice Breath - Had a bit of trouble getting this to work. The in-game menu needs more than NMM interaction. It's a very subtle effect.

Lore-friendly Witchers The eyebrows will go dark again if you advance in the Hearts of Stone DLC. Something to do with
    the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Always more stuff to find...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

40 hours in, Bethesda could learn a thing or two on how too make a RPG from these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

40 hours in,

Still in White Orchard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

40 hours in, Bethesda could learn a thing or two on how too make a RPG from these lads.

Everyone needs to learn how to make RPG's from these lads :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still in White Orchard?

No :rolleyes: in novigrad :D
    Venom wrote: »

Indeed :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Venom wrote: »

While it's definitely an amazing game that well surpasses Skyrim and Fallout it's not without its flaws. Hence all the mod suggestions from earlier.

And yes, I'm a jealous PS4 owner who can't do mods! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

faceman wrote: »
    While it's definitely an amazing game that well surpasses Skyrim and Fallout it's not without its flaws. Hence all the mod suggestions from earlier.

And yes, I'm a jealous PS4 owner who can't do mods! :o

Mods only effect a game up to a point so a good game gets better and a great game becomes epic. You can mod the hell out of a game like Fallout 4, which will make it look better but the underlying flaws of the kinda meh sides quests will still stay meh. A game like Witcher 3 which has some of the best side quests of any game and a gazillion of them, has something amazing that can't be just modded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just finished the first book and started on the second and i have to say it's a real treat if you're a fan of the Witcher Universe. Found out why he is called the Butcher of Blaviken and how he met Yennefer. Highly recommend it to anyone who has played and loved Witcher 3. Definitely going to do another playthrough after reading the lot of them!

Thanks to whoever recommended them :pac: I'm to lazy to go back and find the page :o

Blood of Elves is the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I actually liked Fallout 4 even with all its faults and the most annoying game breaking bug I've ever encountered in a game EVER! Now after playing Mafia 3 Hangar 13 and 2K Games could take a few lessons alright from CD Projekt RED...that game became really repetitive quick .

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I was ruined playing Fallout 4 after the Witcher 3. Played about 6 hours of Fallout 4 then gave it up and uninstalled. Have finished every other Bethesda title since Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I just installed FO4 and it looks like garbage in comparison
    the Creation engine just doesn't cut the mustard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Blood of Elves is the first one?

There is two books before Blood of Elves named The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny. Both of them contain shorter stories of Geralt exploits but are all linked in chronological order. Think of them as two books of side quests :cool: I may be wrong but Blood of Elves seems to be the first book in a series of five, so you could technically skip right to Blood of Elves but you would be missing some of the background lore of the first two that sets up Geralts' legendary status.

Advertisement