Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Just spent the last few hours playing Gwent
    Addictive stuff and I've so many missions yet to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I put in 50 or 60 hours in this, did basically everything worth doing in the game I think, still have Blood and Wine to do but Ill probably save that for Christmas at this stage and try to clear a bit of my backlog.

What I just dont understand though is what the attraction is to Gwent? Its a very dull card game, and I spent hours playing Poker in RDR and various Final Fantasy minigames and other stuff like that down the years. I just dont get the attraction, theres no hook, apart from collecting the cards themselves I suppose. The game itself is completely tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Thargor wrote: »
    I put in 50 or 60 hours in this, did basically everything worth doing in the game I think, still have Blood and Wine to do but Ill probably save that for Christmas at this stage and try to clear a bit of my backlog.

What I just dont understand though is what the attraction is to Gwent? Its a very dull card game, and I spent hours playing Poker in RDR and various Final Fantasy minigames and other stuff like that down the years. I just dont get the attraction, theres no hook, apart from collecting the cards themselves I suppose. The game itself is completely tedious.

I missed the Gwent boat too.. then again if there isnt cold hard cash at stake,any card game is dull as ditchwater..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I missed the Gwent boat too.. then again if there isnt cold hard cash at stake,any card game is dull as ditchwater..

this is not true i have since start playing gwent quite regularly with friends with a few pints gets quite competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

recyclops wrote: »
    this is not true i have since start playing gwent quite regularly with friends with a few pints gets quite competitive

with the real desks or the new game?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Skerries wrote: »
    with the real desks or the new game?

Real decks can play a fair few games and time flies along

I forget who suggested it but I'm very much enjoying The Last Wish

DevilDriver posted this in the Playstaion thread

800 page Witcher hard cover game guide £5.83

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So I ended up using the extra hour of "sleep time" to plough through the Attack on Kaer Morhen.
    Vesemir!! ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not sure if I've even posted in this thread before, but this might be the best game that's ever been made, seriously. 106 hours in, every Gwent card collected, level 25 with a nice combat build, great armour and weapons (for my level anyway) and I'm still only in the middle of act 2.
    Just beginning Brothers In Arms, where I have to recruit people for the upcoming battle, haven't even gone to the Isle of Mists yet.

I hope there's another 100 hours or so between the rest of the game and the DLC because I think I'll be absolutely depressed when I've finished with it, haven't been this engrossed by a game since Vice City.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not sure if I've even posted in this thread before, but this might be the best game that's ever been made, seriously. 106 hours in, every Gwent card collected, level 25 with a nice combat build, great armour and weapons (for my level anyway) and I'm still only in the middle of act 2.
    Just beginning Brothers In Arms, where I have to recruit people for the upcoming battle, haven't even gone to the Isle of Mists yet.

I hope there's another 100 hours or so between the rest of the game and the DLC because I think I'll be absolutely depressed when I've finished with it, haven't been this engrossed by a game since Vice City.

I'm at the same point as you, 70 hours put in, level 23, best game I've played in a long time.

that's why it boggles the mind how they can think of ending the series when it is at its peak!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Skerries wrote: »
    that's why it boggles the mind how they can think of ending the series when it is at its peak!?

Well if you look at from the developers point of view this is their third game and the only series of games they have made. They probably wish to make something new rather like Cyberpunk, plus they don't seems like the kind of company to milk a franchise. That being said i don't think this will be the last we see as the world of the Witcher is was to rich in lore and character that it would be a shame not to visit the world in one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bastards playing this fresh! Lads, make sure ye get the 2 expansion packs after finishing the main game. The very very rare to e when dlc is done right. 1 has an epic story and the other an epic setting, both better than the full priced games released those years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bastards playing this fresh! Lads, make sure ye get the 2 expansion packs after finishing the main game. The very very rare to e when dlc is done right. 1 has an epic story and the other an epic setting, both better than the full priced games released those years.

I have game of the year edition :).

Picked up the GOTY last week, its down to e30 in Smyths on both platforms.

I was a bit late to the party last year but it still feels fresh enough at this point.
    The improved menus were just about to come as I finished my play through, they're much better now.

I'll probably get 50-60 hours without being bothered about the expansions.
    Seems they total about 35 hours combined which is pretty decent.

Really is a great game and at e30 it's at a great price point for a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not sure if I've even posted in this thread before, but this might be the best game that's ever been made, seriously.

The more I think about it the more I have to agree.

I do believe this game has made it to the number 1 spot on my all time list. I'm just coming to the end of Blood and Wine and the game has continuously gotten better.

I just cannot fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's a great game for sure but it definitely has its faults. Strange leveling of enemies, an alchemy system that's practically broken, combat and RPG mechanics are very dumbed down with direct combat being a dance rather than a fight. Meditation became a menu with a picture of meditating rather than an actual thing to sit down and do. Then the whole issue with the release graphics which in the end they finally admitted they lied about. I'm looking forward to their next work a lot but I will be keeping an eye open for anything that seems like it might be too casualised. I fear they might abandon the kind of players that prefer Witcher 1.

Then there's smaller details that still have a huge impact on the gaming experience like Geralt talking to himself so much as a way to guide the player even though it's very strange and to the point of even spoiling 'hidden' walls making them not hidden at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Just finished blood and wine yesterday.

What a game. I've been playing it on and off for what seems like years and still not bored of it.

10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It's a great game for sure but it definitely has its faults. Strange leveling of enemies, an alchemy system that's practically broken, combat and RPG mechanics are very dumbed down with direct combat being a dance rather than a fight. Meditation became a menu with a picture of meditating rather than an actual thing to sit down and do. Then the whole issue with the release graphics which in the end they finally admitted they lied about. I'm looking forward to their next work a lot but I will be keeping an eye open for anything that seems like it might be too casualised. I fear they might abandon the kind of players that prefer Witcher 1.

Then there's smaller details that still have a huge impact on the gaming experience like Geralt talking to himself so much as a way to guide the player even though it's very strange and to the point of even spoiling 'hidden' walls making them not hidden at all.
    Yea, some glaring casual gamer stuff there but there's a decent amount of mods that can bring some of that back, don't think you can shut Geralt up though. I'm sure someone will create a Thomas the tank engine music loop whenever he talks to himself...

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Yea, some glaring casual gamer stuff there but there's a decent amount of mods that can bring some of that back, don't think you can shut Geralt up though. I'm sure someone will create a Thomas the tank engine music loop whenever he talks to himself...

I have shut him up but it's in multiple mods. Here's also a few other sound ones that I find important.

No Illusion Spoilers (Eye of Nehaleni Commentary)

No Combat or Weather Commentary

Proper Journal Notification Sounds

No Stamina Sounds

Leave Roach Alone - No More Horse Voice Commands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I have kind of stopped playing after about 10 hours. I am enjoying the story and the general atmosphere, but I can't stand the combat - it just seems to be 'dodge-strike, dodge-strike'. So boring. It doesn't help that every place is full of random creatures that seem to respawn when you go out of eyesight.

I think I'll try again after a little break from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I've finally got around to properly starting this game (after two false starts) and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'd like everyone's opinion on thing though...

With a game of this size it's obviously quite easy to miss out on entertaining quests or weapons, items, etc. So is is worth referring to a walkthrough? I really dislike using step by step guides so that's not an option. However should I check to see if I've completely cleared an area before moving on or is it better to just play it blind and eat the consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I played blind and have more quests than I know what to do with. You spend ages just rocking around Velen, and when you reach a town you'll unlock a notice board there. I'd the noticeboard is yellow, you'll get new quests from it.

When roaming about you'll find yellow exclamation marks, they're quests too and won't be cleared from your map so you can find them again

I'd say play an area and when you feel you have completed it then look to see what missions you have missed but be careful as you will have to go back and forth between areas for later missions so try not to spoil it for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Cheers guys. The quests are coming through thick and fast now so I'm much more relaxed about my progression. I'll take it as it comes.

What a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

GOTY edition is now €30 on the Irish PSN store if you have PS Plus

GOTY edition is now €30 on the Irish PSN store if you have PS Plus

On sale for the same price on their own site, too. https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_game_of_the_year_edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Got the game a few weeks ago, love it. Been in Velen for quite some time. Loads of quests left and level 12.

Should I stick with Velen until quests are done?

Main quest keeps pulling at me :pac:

Griffin Gear was quite enjoyable getting :cool:

Advertisement