Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

MurDawg wrote: »
    Got the game a few weeks ago, love it. Been in Velen for quite some time. Loads of quests left and level 12.

Should I stick with Velen until quests are done?

Main quest keeps pulling at me :pac:

Griffin Gear was quite enjoyable getting :cool:

Do whatever you feel

220?cb=20100820051705

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GOTY edition is now €30 on the Irish PSN store if you have PS Plus

I've already played it thought on the Xbox One but that's the same price as the DLC costs. I fancy another play-through anyway and at that price, I might just buy it with the DLC for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I'd love if they introduced a scheme where you could exchange your physical copy of the game for the digital one. I know i could just sell it but it would be so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Witcher Funko pops coming in January

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just started Blood and Wine andafter a long break from the Witcher im getting my ass kicked. Of course I had to reformat my PC after graphics card upgrade to lost my save game after the last expansion. All my gear wiped, but at lease I can reroll a lvl 35 character to blood and wine. i though about starting all over again to bring the one char though but could not give the time that that would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just picked up Blood and Wine myself, but I'm tempted to just start over just to play it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

humanji wrote: »
    I just picked up Blood and Wine myself, but I'm tempted to just start over just to play it all again.

I restarted a few months ago, having not played in almost a year. I was close enough to the final battle, with no expansions done.

Best decision I made. Playing the whole thing in one go was amazing. Best game I have played. Looking forward to see what they do with Shadowrun 2077.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Just got my Ps4 Pro,was going to redownload all my saves,but thought,, Feck it..

Start from Scratch it is so.. And i had just started Blood and Wine..

Lets do this!

Just got my Ps4 Pro,was going to redownload all my saves,but thought,, Feck it..

Start from Scratch it is so.. And i had just started Blood and Wine..

Lets do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A bit late to the party, but got it with the two expansions for €25 on my new gaming PC which I'm still all giddy about having not owned a console or the like of any sort for about a decade, apart from my room mate earlier in the year having a PS4 which I got addicted to Fallout on, and a friend giving me a loan of his old PS3 two years back because he insisted I play GTAV.

anyway, got the game last Friday, played through the first section (before the map opens up) and was really enjoying it but still not fully immersed - no worry, Fallout was the same and I learned to love it - so it took a back seat to Civilization 6 for this week, up until last night when I got further involved.

Just have to say holy christ this really does seem to be living up to the billing already of not just GOTY but one of the best games ever made (still doubt it can top Mario 64 though, which is still extremely enjoyable and visually somehow still looks very good and reasonably modern over 20 years after it's initial release - yes, that's right... Mario 64 is older than close to half of all non-mature college students!!). The visuals, the story telling - I can't get over how well it rounds out even side quest characters in a brief time - all the attention to little details, the landscape even puts the rural parts of GTAV to shame! Really getting more and more into the gameplay, inventory, alchemy etc which was an aspect of Fallout I fell in love with also, and as someone who adores a good open world game I found myself wandering aimlessly through fields and forests for over an hour at a time... which I mean in a very good way.

Really trying to do as many side quests, undiscovered locations, etc as I go so as to not just beeline straight through the main plot, which is hard due to how good the main plotlines are (and I'm only in the middle of the Bloody Barron quest with the botchling), but also a saving grace of the rounded out peripheral characters. The humour is light but excellent too and I love some of the references like the Pulp Fiction "get out the gimp / but he's sleeping / well I guess you'll have to wake him" exchange I overheard in the Bloody Barron's fort last night, or the early quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' since I loved the Prodigy back in the 90s).

I'm really trying hard to find anything to criticise this game just so I can find something, and all I have come up with is looting/picking up stuff and getting on the horse in a rush a tiny bit finnicky at times... and that's about it, really. First person would be nice too, but it's a tiny thing and having the PC version, apparently there's a pretty decent mod for it. I guess buying Doom will have to wait a few weeks... actually, I guess my life for the most part, is going to have to wait a few weeks, because this game (especially with the two expansions) also looks incomprehensibly f*cking enormous!!. :o

Billy86 wrote: »
    A bit late to the party, but got it with the two expansions for €25 on my new gaming PC which I'm still all giddy about having not owned a console or the like of any sort for about a decade, apart from my room mate earlier in the year having a PS4 which I got addicted to Fallout on, and a friend giving me a loan of his old PS3 two years back because he insisted I play GTAV.

anyway, got the game last Friday, played through the first section (before the map opens up) and was really enjoying it but still not fully immersed - no worry, Fallout was the same and I learned to love it - so it took a back seat to Civilization 6 for this week, up until last night when I got further involved.

Just have to say holy christ this really does seem to be living up to the billing already of not just GOTY but one of the best games ever made (still doubt it can top Mario 64 though, which is still extremely enjoyable and visually somehow still looks very good and reasonably modern over 20 years after it's initial release - yes, that's right... Mario 64 is older than close to half of all non-mature college students!!). The visuals, the story telling - I can't get over how well it rounds out even side quest characters in a brief time - all the attention to little details, the landscape even puts the rural parts of GTAV to shame! Really getting more and more into the gameplay, inventory, alchemy etc which was an aspect of Fallout I fell in love with also, and as someone who adores a good open world game I found myself wandering aimlessly through fields and forests for over an hour at a time... which I mean in a very good way.

Really trying to do as many side quests, undiscovered locations, etc as I go so as to not just beeline straight through the main plot, which is hard due to how good the main plotlines are (and I'm only in the middle of the Bloody Barron quest with the botchling), but also a saving grace of the rounded out peripheral characters. The humour is light but excellent too and I love some of the references like the Pulp Fiction "get out the gimp / but he's sleeping / well I guess you'll have to wake him them" exchange I overheard in the Bloody Barron's fort last night, or the early quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' since I loved the Prodigy back in the 90s).

I'm really trying hard to find anything to criticise this game, and all I have come up with is looting/picking up stuff and getting on the horse in a rush a tiny bit finnicky at times... and that's about it. I guess buying Doom will have to wait a few weeks... actually, I guess my life for the most part, is going to have to wait a few weeks :o - because this game (especially with the two expansions) also looks incomprehensibly f*cking enormous!!

Brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Skerries wrote: »

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

jpeg

I'll be picking a few of those up :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really trying to do as many side quests, undiscovered locations, etc as I go so as to not just beeline straight through the main plot, which is hard due to how good the main plotlines are (and I'm only in the middle of the Bloody Barron quest with the botchling), but also a saving grace of the rounded out peripheral characters. The humour is light but excellent too and I love some of the references like the Pulp Fiction "get out the gimp / but he's sleeping / well I guess you'll have to wake him" exchange I overheard in the Bloody Barron's fort last night, or the early quest called 'Twisted Firestarter' since I loved the Prodigy back in the 90s).

I'm really trying hard to find anything to criticise this game just so I can find something, and all I have come up with is looting/picking up stuff and getting on the horse in a rush a tiny bit finnicky at times... and that's about it, really. First person would be nice too, but it's a tiny thing and having the PC version, apparently there's a pretty decent mod for it. I guess buying Doom will have to wait a few weeks... actually, I guess my life for the most part, is going to have to wait a few weeks, because this game (especially with the two expansions) also looks incomprehensibly f*cking enormous!!. :o

I wish I got this feeling too.
    Tried a few times to get into it but sadly I got bored each time.
    I'm not one for stories in my games,got bored of many a game for this exact same reason, not the games fault but mine.

I often planned to just play and ramble around without following the main plot,not sure if this can be a viable way to play.
    Love the combat, love the world etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm level 12 now and really starting to struggle. I'm not a particularly skilled gamer so I'm not that surprised, but it's disappointing. I think I'm treating it like a Souls game and that's not working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The dodging doesn't work the same as Bloodborne, or so I found. I played the Witcher offensively, used dodges for positioning rather than evasion

The game completely crashed on me yesterday and that's something that has never happened to me on PS4, with any game. I'm also regularly getting an error page when trying to load previous saves. More worryingly, the music and NPC dialogue completely cut out from the beginning of 'The Whispering Hillock' quest right through to the end of 'Ladies of the Wood'.

That means I had no dialogue for the true appearance of the Crones which looked absolutely fantastic. I re-loaded an earlier save but the same thing happened again. So I'm gutted over that. That bug seems to have been present at release and was supposed to be patched. Very disappointing. Some people have said that all NPC from that point onward is effected. I really hope that has been solved because for me that's a game breaking bug.

The dodging doesn't work the same as Bloodborne, or so I found. I played the Witcher offensively, used dodges for positioning rather than evasion

Cheers. Yeah I've been playing defensively so perhaps I just need to get in their faces a bit more.

The roll seems to be fairy unless as well.

One of my favourite aspects so far, and the reason why I'll possibly end up putting 100+ hours into the game, is the dialogue and the various accents. It is a joy to listen to. The Bloody Baron is a particularly brilliant, and of course he arrives quite early in the game, so I'm very excited about what lies ahead.

However, I'm not too keen on Geralt. Initially I thought it was the American accent, but Vesemir's is perfect. His accent stands him apart and adds to the sense of otherness that surrounds the Witchers. But what on earth were CD Rrojekt thinking with some of Geralt's dialogue. Words like 'gonna' just do not work in that setting, particularly when coupled with that accent. The locals would use words like 'gonsta' whereas the top brass are all well enunciated. But Geralt sounds like he came straight from a baseball game.

Also, he doesn't begin sentences with 'are', 'were', etc. It's all "you gonna meet him?". It's terrible. I'm just waiting for him to ask "the fcuk you talkin' bout?".

It's utterly bizarre. Has it any basis in the books or how did they arrive at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pickpocket wrote: »
    One of my favourite aspects so far, and the reason why I'll possibly end up putting 100+ hours into the game, is the dialogue and the various accents. It is a joy to listen to. The Bloody Baron is a particularly brilliant, and of course he arrives quite early in the game, so I'm very excited about what lies ahead.

However, I'm not too keen on Geralt. Initially I thought it was the American accent, but Vesemir's is perfect. His accent stands him apart and adds to the sense of otherness that surrounds the Witchers. But what on earth were CD Rrojekt thinking with some of Geralt's dialogue. Words like 'gonna' just do not work in that setting, particularly when coupled with that accent. The locals would use words like 'gonsta' whereas the top brass are all well enunciated. But Geralt sounds like he came straight from a baseball game.

Also, he doesn't begin sentences with 'are', 'were', etc. It's all "you gonna meet him?". It's terrible. I'm just waiting for him to ask "the fcuk you talkin' bout?".

It's utterly bizarre? What it any basis in the book or how on earth did they arrive at it?
    I do get you, but I think it's meant as more of an immersion technique - e.g. putting the player in his boots, especially with the US being the #1 audience. I'm not huge on it myself but don't really mind, and it leads to a few funny moments ("why am I leading a f***ing goat around with a bell?" or whatever it was he says in that mission for the Baron/Peller, shortly after meeting Bloody Baron Baratheon).

• Advertisement

I do get you, but I think it's meant as more of an immersion technique - e.g. putting the player in his boots, especially with the US being the #1 audience. I'm not huge on it myself but don't really mind, and it leads to a few funny moments ("why am I leading a f***ing goat around with a bell?" or whatever it was he says in that mission for the Baron/Peller, shortly after meeting Bloody Baron Baratheon).

Yeah he's certainly well written and his contemporary sarcasm sits nicely at odds with the medieval fantasy setting. I just think they went too far with it. They could have easily had their American protagonist and have him speak appropriately for his surroundings. However it really contributes to a different take on the genre and I can see how some people would get a kick out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's fantasy land so that never bothered me. Why are Dwarves Scottish? I dunno but it's funny. Why does Ciri have a British accent? Because le intelligent untapped power of the waifu. I mean the people of Toussaint essentially glorify making proud statements in rhyme.

It's fantasy land so that never bothered me. Why are Dwarves Scottish? I dunno but it's funny. Why does Ciri have a British accent? Because le intelligent untapped power of the waifu. I mean the people of Toussaint essentially glorify making proud statements in rhyme.

Well I've already said that Vesemir's American accent was perfect so it's nothing to do with certain nationalities being inherently more suited to a fantasy setting.

However you've hit the nail on the head. Scottish Dwarves 'work' for me for the exact same reason that Geralt's lazy, Millennials dialogue doesn't. It just doesn't feel right. But of course the fantasy genre is just one convention built on top of another and I've clearly bought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

It's utterly bizarre. Has it any basis in the books or how did they arrive at it?

They used the same voice actor for Geralt as they did in the first 2 games. Although a European VO would have better suited the world, his voice actor grew on me and i wouldn't change it for any future games to be honest. Lambert and Eskel who are both Witchers also have American accents. I'd say for the first game they had a tight budget and took the best they could get and then just ran with it for the 2 sequels. His use of grammar makes him sound more edgy, and thus....cool?I think it would sound strange if he spoke some olde English phrases considering his American accent. I just put it down to mutations ****ing up their vocal cords :D

Wait till you meet Triss. American accent from some who is from the same country as everyone in Velen and alot of the people in Novigrad :eek:

They used the same voice actor for Geralt as they did in the first 2 games. Although a European VO would have better suited the world, his voice actor grew on me and i wouldn't change it for any future games to be honest. Lambert and Eskel who are both Witchers also have American accents. I'd say for the first game they had a tight budget and took the best they could get and then just ran with it for the 2 sequels. His use of grammar makes him sound more edgy, and thus....cool?I think it would sound strange if he spoke some olde English phrases considering his American accent. I just put it down to mutations ****ing up their vocal cords :D

Wait till you meet Triss. American accent from some who is from the same country as everyone in Velen and alot of the people in Novigrad :eek:

True, but surely full sentences wouldn't be too much to ask for.

Know wadda mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The game completely crashed on me yesterday and that's something that has never happened to me on PS4, with any game. I'm also regularly getting an error page when trying to load previous saves. More worryingly, the music and NPC dialogue completely cut out from the beginning of 'The Whispering Hillock' quest right through to the end of 'Ladies of the Wood'.

That means I had no dialogue for the true appearance of the Crones which looked absolutely fantastic. I re-loaded an earlier save but the same thing happened again. So I'm gutted over that. That bug seems to have been present at release and was supposed to be patched. Very disappointing. Some people have said that all NPC from that point onward is effected. I really hope that has been solved because for me that's a game breaking bug.

I had that same issue. You need to shutdown your PS4 and restart it. Worked for me as normal again. (Although I didn't go back to replay the crones level though)

I'm very tempted to hide all Places of Interest from the map and mini-map. It feels like one big to-do list and reminds me of a Ubisoft game.

But how important are they in terms of end-game progression? Will I come across enough weapons and armour during the quests to see me through?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Absolutely, I did them all in White Orchard and saw 80 in Velen. Feck that. You should be able to find quests for Witcher Armour and Weapons, I have been fine with the Griffin set for ages and I don't recall ? hunting for ages

Absolutely, I did them all in White Orchard and saw 80 in Velen. Feck that. You should be able to find quests for Witcher Armour and Weapons, I have been fine with the Griffin set for ages and I don't recall ? hunting for ages

That's great to hear, thanks. I'm loving the game so far but that one aspect was starting to trouble me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm very tempted to hide all Places of Interest from the map and mini-map. It feels like one big to-do list and reminds me of a Ubisoft game.

But how important are they in terms of end-game progression? Will I come across enough weapons and armour during the quests to see me through?

Even though i skipped some on my first playthrough all notice board and side quests should be done in my opinion. They are all unique content and don't feel like filler at all. The rest should be done on a whim. Most of them give loot and weapons/armour but aren't worth it for the most part. Guarded treasure is probably worth it since you fight an epic monster, which can be fun and the loot is generally better than most.

Advertisement