Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I will do. In fact I've already received good advice from them. I'm just not sure of my exact budget (it's liable to go up or down over the next 3 months) so there's not an awful lot I can do at the moment.
    Prob best we don't derail the thread much, but apart from maybe getting a higher spec motherboard, most parts are pretty similar price unless you want something fancy, outside of the GPU & CPU - just got GTX 950 or higher, and Intel i5 4XXX or higher (would recommend 6500 or 6600 though). I'm no expert though by any stretch, had no clue what I was up to a few months back when I first went there for help. That's just a basic run down for if you're searchign for anything on offer for black Friday or the Christmas sales, best to keep an eye on CPUs & GPUs because that's where most of the money goes. Also if youy want a small, portable cover similar (as you can get anyway) to a console look up 'sugo sg13b' - fits all the parts inside, zero heat issues, exact same width/lenth as an A4 sheet of paper and about an inch taller than the larger sized smartphones. Fits in a backpack with plenty of space left over. Just saying because size was the biggest deterrent for me for quite a while.

Anyway back on topic, the day of your rant about Geralt leaving words out at the start of sentences I stumbled along a character called Lambert. Met him yet, and did your TV survive the irritation if you did!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Got an irritating bug the last 2 days on Xbox One. When I die and try to load a save I get stuck on the loading screen and have to restart the Xbox. I'm a bit worried something like this could end up corrupting my save files.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I had to delete the saves so i wouldnt be tempted to go back a rely on them when things get tough..

I did that, and Steam downloaded my saves. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Billy86 wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic, the day of your rant about Geralt leaving words out at the start of sentences I stumbled along a character called Lambert. Met him yet, and did your TV survive the irritation if you did!? :p

I did and he should have made my teeth itch. However I assumed his name was a Highlander reference and for that he got a free pass. :p

My apologies if this is an old topic but how do people feel about enemy scaling? I'm level 22 on Death March and it's starting to turn into a walkover.

Does scaling take the excitement out of upgrading weapons and items? It seems that you'd only ever be upgrading in order to challenge upcoming enemies, rather then experiencing any sense of progression amongst your existing foes.

Either way I'm gonna have to make the switch because right now the fun is being sucked out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My apologies if this is an old topic but how do people feel about enemy scaling? I'm level 22 on Death March and it's starting to turn into a walkover.

Does scaling take the excitement out of upgrading weapons and items? It seems that you'd only ever be upgrading in order to challenge upcoming enemies, rather then experiencing any sense of progression amongst your existing foes.

Either way I'm gonna have to make the switch because right now the fun is being sucked out of the game.

Yeah I've mentioned mods I use to balance the badly done levelling system

Has an in-game menu with it if you install it right so you can adjust things on the fly to your liking.

Yeah I've mentioned mods I use to balance the badly done levelling system

Has an in-game menu with it if you install it right so you can adjust things on the fly to your liking.

Sounds great but I'm afraid I'm on PS4. I'm definitely getting a PC. I'm sick of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Sounds great but I'm afraid I'm on PS4. I'm definitely getting a PC. I'm sick of this crap.

103907-welcome-to-pc-master-race-welcome-to-pc.gif

Been seriously converted since I got mine going - a friend got a free computer from work with 16GB RAM and an i7 processor they were throwing away, all he would need would be a GPU, could even buy a 900 series one for €200 or less and be good to go.

Aaaaaand he is looking into buying a PS4. The mind truly boggles...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Been seriously converted since I got mine going - a friend got a free computer from work with 16GB RAM and an i7 processor they were throwing away, all he would need would be a GPU, could even buy a 900 series one for €200 or less and be good to go.

My PC died recently, and while I generally prefer it, I have to say the PS4 has a lot of benefits. Firstly, no messing about with specs. Secondly, the amount of AAA titles that have had issues on PC, some of which have never and will never be resolved, is getting large (Just Cause 3, Arkham Knight, and now Dishonored 2, just to name a few)

• Advertisement

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with having different platforms. I want and will be getting a PC but I'm also getting the Switch when it's released. I've always had a minimum of two platforms. At one time I had four.

When I say I'm 'sick of this' I simply mean I'm sick of having certain options and solutions closed off to me because I don't have a PC. But I'll always own consoles. The Last of Us got me back into serious gaming after almost 10 years of casual play and Bloodborne got me through a very serious period of illness earlier in the year. I can't imagine not owning a console. I've been enjoying them for the past 27 years.

Yeah but there's nothing wrong with having different platforms. I want and will be getting a PC but I'm also getting the Switch when it's released. I've always had a minimum of two platforms. At one time I had four.

When I say I'm 'sick of this' I simply mean I'm sick of having certain options and solutions closed off to me because I don't have a PC. But I'll always own consoles. The Last of Us got me back into serious gaming after almost 10 years of casual play and Bloodborne got me through a very serious period of illness earlier in the year. I can't imagine not owning a console. I've been enjoying them for the past 27 years.

Oh that's true as well, he's looking to go PS4 only. To each their own, but personally the advantages I've been seeing off my PC compared to consoles are huge. And naturally, everyone has the same opinion as I do on everything or else they are wrong. So there! :p

Oh that's true as well, he's looking to go PS4 only. To each their own, but personally the advantages I've been seeing off my PC compared to consoles are huge. And naturally, everyone has the same opinion as I do on everything or else they are wrong. So there! :p

I see. That's a strange one alright but perhaps he just wants a less complicated gaming experience. Consoles are certainly more streamlined and perhaps that's what he's after. There's pros and cons either way and people's preferences can change over time.

I'm just at the Final Preparations missions in Novigrad. Roughy how long have I got left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm just at the Final Preparations missions in Novigrad. Roughy how long have I got left?

About 9.2% towards the finish

About 9.2% towards the finish

I deserve that.

Made it to Kaer Morhen with Uma this evening. Still soooo many question marks on my world map taunting me! Have to say though I bloody hate any underwater sections, controls in general underwater are a bit spazzy but trying to loot chests can be fierce annoying!

Testament1 wrote: »
    Made it to Kaer Morhen with Uma this evening. Still soooo many question marks on my world map taunting me! Have to say though I bloody hate any underwater sections, controls in general underwater are a bit spazzy but trying to loot chests can be fierce annoying!

I switched off the question marks and never looked back. I have serious OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff. I'd have packed the whole thing in if I had to look at them everytime I opened the map.

I'll be starting Hearts of Stone later today and I'm thinking about using the option to create a new Level 32 character instead of continuing with my own build.

Realistically I'm not gonna play through the full game again so I feel like this is a good way of jumping straight into a different playstyle, having now learned what I want in terms of upgrades (I squandered 7 or 8 points on gimmicky abilities).

My only issue is with all my upgraded oils, potions and weaponry. I'll be losing all of those. On the other hand I'm feeling very overpowered in the main game, despite being on Death March, so perhaps a more basic inventory would help increase the challenge.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

I found something out - your crossbow becomes a one hit kill weapon underwater. Bit odd, but takes the sheer dread of say, the Skellige question marks, out of the way. Also invest alchemy toward Killer Whale & Cat which can become pretty invaluable. I typically hate swimming parts of any game not just this one, but it's grand since I got that figured. Only bit that irritates me is the infinite respawn of sirens.

The whales in Skellige even though I don't think they can kill or attack you, still put the utter sh*ts up me when they pop up 10 feet away though! :D

I'd also recommend you ignoring the main quest for a while and going for a bunch of those markers, should improve the lifespan of your game a good bit, gives your some great weapons/armour if you're not yet able to upgrade the 'school' types much, and allows you to sell on an absolute tonne of crap as well as pick bits up for alchemy & crafting. You also come across some a good few interesting side missions, and a bunch of 'places of power' or whatever they're called, which are always nice. Plus if you're level 15 or so and gallup up on a level 30 dragon or ice troll or whatnot the level of "OH F*CK THAT NOPE!" sprinting away is always good craic! :pac:

• Advertisement

Realistically I'm not gonna play through the full game again so I feel like this is a good way of jumping straight into a different playstyle, having now learned what I want in terms of upgrades (I squandered 7 or 8 points on gimmicky abilities).

My only issue is with all my upgraded oils, potions and weaponry. I'll be losing all of those. On the other hand I'm feeling very overpowered in the main game, despite being on Death March, so perhaps a more basic inventory would help increase the challenge.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
    You can buy a potion in Novigrad as well as I think off that Ermion druid fella in Skellige for 1,000 gold that allows you reset all your ability points! Some have a few in stock, so you can do it maybe 10-15 times in the game at least. Might make a lot more sense, especially with sense of satisfaction in having leveled up & built the character/stock/etc yourself.

I had the same issue and had also chosen some fairly pointless ones, very happy with the do-over now though - very alchemy heavy which I find most fun. Love getting surrounded by a bunch of soldiers, using the golden oriole (health increases in poison) potion, lashing down 4 poison bombs and murdering the absolute f*** out of everything that moves! Same with negrophages, poison bomb/golden oriole and black blood (they bleed out just by being near you).

I found something out - your crossbow becomes a one hit kill weapon underwater. Bit odd, but takes the sheer dread of say, the Skellige question marks, out of the way. Also invest alchemy toward Killer Whale & Cat which can become pretty invaluable. I typically hate swimming parts of any game not just this one, but it's grand since I got that figured. Only bit that irritates me is the infinite respawn of sirens.

The whales in Skellige even though I don't think they can kill or attack you, still put the utter sh*ts up me when they pop up 10 feet away though! :D

I'd also recommend you ignoring the main quest for a while and going for a bunch of those markers, should improve the lifespan of your game a good bit, gives your some great weapons/armour if you're not yet able to upgrade the 'school' types much, and allows you to sell on an absolute tonne of crap as well as pick bits up for alchemy & crafting. You also come across some a good few interesting side missions, and a bunch of 'places of power' or whatever they're called, which are always nice. Plus if you're level 15 or so and gallup up on a level 30 dragon or ice troll or whatnot the level of "OH F*CK THAT NOPE!" sprinting away is always good craic! :pac:

Yea the crossbow is dead handy underwater alright. Only issue I have is trying to loot /interact underwater can be pretty finnicky at times. Geralt has a habit of going over or under chests etc!

Just shy of level 22. Done a good dart of secondary quests, need to get more into the monster contracts again. The treasure hunts for witcher gear are fun but for now I'm happy enough in my Hindarsfjall heavy armour.

Haha yea I had a long battle of attrition when I first got to Skellige with a high level Ice Troll, plenty of dodging and Igni/Superior Dancing Star!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Haha yea I had a long battle of attrition when I first got to Skellige with a high level Ice Troll, plenty of dodging and Igni/Superior Dancing Star!

Put bleed on your weapons. Invaluable against higher level stuff, or at least it was for me.
    I think I went with AP, bleed, fire for silver and AP, poison, ice for steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

I think most builds tend to become overpowered towards the end of the game regardless of difficulty. Unless you spread your skill points evenly across all 3(4) skill trees. If you're playing on PC there are mods that address some of the more OP skills. There is a spike in difficulty going into the DLC zones but it soon even back out

As another poster said there are potions that let you reset your skills. Keira Metz sells them
    if shes still alive :D
    , as does Gremist on Skellige and some vendors in Novigrad.

Playing through Blood&Wine and I'm finding Emiel Regis to be a bore. There is something about that voice actor that just puts me to sleep. My mind keeps wandering when he starts talking and I miss massive parts of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Playing through Blood&Wine and I'm finding Emiel Regis to be a bore. There is something about that voice actor that just puts me to sleep. My mind keeps wandering when he starts talking and I miss massive parts of the story.

I think thats the point he's a ancient vampire, a few centuries old :D

Well I finally found a quest I didn't like Hearts of Stone - Dead Man's Party.
    The Heist mission was great,but this was some dreary nonsense. Vlodomir's dialogue bits were kind of fun at first, but hardly anything happened in the whole thing and it was dragged out beyond belief. Quickly reading every line of dialogue and then skipping them delivering it, skipping most cut scenes etc I think it was still well over two hours long. What's more it was almost entirely at the wedding without much chance to do something else and break it up a bit, entirely unchallenging, and just completely and utterly boring. It genuinely felt like a chore throughout.

That said, absolutely love the Olgierd von Everec character - and whoever voiced him did a fantastic job! Still have to do the third thing for him, hopefully it picks back up a bit. Also quite fond of the O'Dimm character, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

That said, absolutely love the Olgierd von Everec character - and whoever voiced him did a fantastic job! Still have to do the third thing for him, hopefully it picks back up a bit. Also quite fond of the O'Dimm character, too.

Great write up on Eurogamer on Gaunter O'Dimm (GoD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Great write up on Eurogamer on Gaunter O'Dimm (GoD)

Shows great foresight to have him at the start of the game and then for the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I picked this up in the Steam Sale having pretty much zero Witcher lore and game knowledge. I'd tried to play the first one some time ago, but I just wasn't quite in the right headspace to settle into a game like that.

However, Witcher 3 is a very different kettle of fish. I'm really enjoying it and I have the GOTY edition so all the content is there waiting for me to get to an appropriately high level to play it :D

Very glad to finally be getting around to enjoying this. I sunk a good few hours into Skyrim and whilst there are several major differences, I feel the comparisons are totally justified. The Witcher just seems to have a much tighter focus on progressing you through some sort of story, in Skyrim I thought I'd completed the main story by winning the war between the Nords/Empire, but that's only a secondary mission :D

Advertisement