Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Testament1 wrote: »
    Made it to Kaer Morhen with Uma this evening. Still soooo many question marks on my world map taunting me! Have to say though I bloody hate any underwater sections, controls in general underwater are a bit spazzy but trying to loot chests can be fierce annoying!

I'm a little behind you, just going about getting Uma, but I'm taking care of every side quest and witcher contract available to me along the way.
    In open world games, in the interest of not wasting my own time collecting doodads or rubbish side quests I usually stick to the main storyline, but this game is really a masterclass in storytelling, I've really enjoyed the
    quest to crown the new ruler of skellige, and also the necromancy angle with skjal, the young lad who helped ciri escape.

I'm hoping to finish the game before christmas, If I manage that, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just properly started Hearts of Stone last night, and the spike in difficulty from the end of the main story to the first boss battle in HOS
    The Toad Prince
    is immense. Got the fecker after three or four attempts but it was a battle harder than any I've had in the main quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just properly started Hearts of Stone last night, and the spike in difficulty from the end of the main story to the first boss battle in HOS
    The Toad Prince
    is immense. Got the fecker after three or four attempts but it was a battle harder than any I've had in the main quest.

That was a right wake up call alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

The Toad Prince
    Looking forward to it so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't know if I was overpowered or not but he gave me no problems

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    I don't know if I was overpowered or not but he gave me no problems

Do you remember what level you were? I was around 34 I think but was expecting another easy fight. After dying twice, I really had to think about a way to beat him. Still didn't use any oils or potions though, might've been more straightforward if I had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What level should be for the expansions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What level should be for the expansions?

I think low 30s for hearts of stone (just a little bit through it) or mid 30s for blood and wine looking at what levels the first quests are at. That said, you'll likely be there or thereabouts for HOS by the end of the main game anyway, and probably a good deal ahead for B&W.

Just got past "Iris Worst Fear" or whatever it's called on HOS last night, very fun and very VERY difficult at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No bother with him either, he really didnt like my souped up Igni though. Mastercrafted Igni-runed silver sword aswell.

Is there any new Mastercrafted Gear to go after in Hearts of Stone or Blod and Wine btw? Ive said it before its the one flaw with this game that stops it from being an otherwise perfect RPG. Once you have the school sets thats it for loot, the search for more powerful weapons is personally my favourite part in any RPG and its completely missing here, there arent even any different kinds of weapons or anything else. If the rest of the game wasn't such ridiculously high quality I wouldn't have bothered finishing it.

Thargor wrote: »
    No bother with him either, he really didnt like my souped up Igni though. Mastercrafted Igni-runed silver sword aswell.

Is there any new Mastercrafted Gear to go after in Hearts of Stone or Blod and Wine btw? Ive said it before its the one flaw with this game that stops it from being an otherwise perfect RPG. Once you have the school sets thats it for loot, the search for more powerful weapons is personally my favourite part in any RPG and its completely missing here, there arent even any different kinds of weapons or anything else. If the rest of the game wasn't such ridiculously high quality I wouldn't have bothered finishing it.

There's Grandmaster diagrams to go after in B&W, for each school (though I haven't started it yet), and there's stat bonuses if you match sets of Grandmaster weaponry and armour. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolutely sickening reading about how yer experiencing things in the game for the first time :(

Just finished Hearts of Stone, that was easily one of the best stories I've ever played through in a game, incredible stuff.
    It only dawned on me before the last part that Gaunter is essentially the devil; deal at the crossroads, thirst for human souls and most obvious, deceipt and trickery. Mind=blown

And apparently Blood and Wine is even better (and much longer) yet I can't imagine how it can top HOS! That should take me through to Christmas anyway. What a game and brilliantly created world, hats off to CDPR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just finished Hearts of Stone, that was easily one of the best stories I've ever played through in a game, incredible stuff.
    It only dawned on me before the last part that Gaunter is essentially the devil; deal at the crossroads, thirst for human souls and most obvious, deceipt and trickery. Mind=blown

And apparently Blood and Wine is even better (and much longer) yet I can't imagine how it can top HOS! That should take me through to Christmas anyway. What a game and brilliantly created world, hats off to CDPR.

Yeah, I had a moment like that, and then I realised that CDPR made
    his initials GOD, you've got to be pretty ballsy to create a devil in your game, and then imply that he's god.
    Not sure about anyone else, but I found that hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I found that the difficulty curve toward the end of the main game was completely broken. I breezed through it, even on Death March. However I'm finding Hearts of Stone extremely challenging. I'm level 35 and level 34 enemies are making bits of me. Did anyone else experience that? It's been about 10 days since I finished the vanilla game so I'm just wondering it the DLC really is more difficult or have I simply lost that zen-like sense of control that comes with 90 hours of gameplay?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Happen upon a "person in distress" mission in the wild, it had 4 lvl 7 dudes (my level) and somehow 3 lvl 18 soldiers who proceeded to batter me with arrows and shield charges until I was dedded :( At a guess, it seems like I was just unfortunate to land on a random intersection of 2 groups of fuppers and one of them was way overlevelled for me.

It was time to go to bed at that stage. But it was hard to peel myself away from it! :D What a fun game.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I found that the difficulty curve toward the end of the main game was completely broken. I breezed through it, even on Death March. However I'm finding Hearts of Stone extremely challenging. I'm level 35 and level 34 enemies are making bits of me. Did anyone else experience that? It's been about 10 days since I finished the vanilla game so I'm just wondering it the DLC really is more difficult or have I simply lost that zen-like sense of control that comes with 90 hours of gameplay?
    You're speeding along, I'm still sitting on the last vanilla quest trying to get all my wolf gear :D (2nd play through that's lasted about.... 8 months)
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Happen upon a "person in distress" mission in the wild, it had 4 lvl 7 dudes (my level) and somehow 3 lvl 18 soldiers who proceeded to batter me with arrows and shield charges until I was dedded :( At a guess, it seems like I was just unfortunate to land on a random intersection of 2 groups of fuppers and one of them was way overlevelled for me.

It was time to go to bed at that stage. But it was hard to peel myself away from it! :D What a fun game.
    Sounds like you got unfortunate to start a fight beside some soldiers (or someone hit them!). They're not meant to be fought, that's why they wreck face. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

He is at least a G.O.D. of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just started playing this myself, finished witcher 1 but couldnt finish 2, boy am i glad that didnt stop me playing this! Only after getting to velen after meeting the emperor and ive done feck all! the game is massive. Just did a sidequest with a crafty sister wanting to bed a werewolf :D fantastic quality for a sidequest, do they get better?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nearing the end now I guess.......Looking at the achievements list I think I missed out on a load of quests :confused: .

just started playing this myself, finished witcher 1 but couldnt finish 2, boy am i glad that didnt stop me playing this! Only after getting to velen after meeting the emperor and ive done feck all! the game is massive. Just did a sidequest with a crafty sister wanting to bed a werewolf :D fantastic quality for a sidequest, do they get better?
    Yes they get a lot better and without spoiling anything here they're so good that they can impact the main quest! Just letting you know!

For anyone wondering, Blood and Wine I'd ridiculous. Won't say much because the surprises are part of it, but in several respects it blows the main game out of the water in the way that the main game view other, similar games out of the water. All the little changes and improvements they made are mind blowing, story line is incredible, unlike hearts of stone its bloody huge, bigger than some actual games. And the scenery/artwork is just breathtaking, it genuinely feels like playing inside of a painting at times. Actually just had to stop and take a screenshot the other night.

Also in Blood and Wine, not a spoiler really and it's for a side quest but did anyone else notice
    that in the knight's tournament you have to fight The Mountain from GOT, or at least the book version? Similar helmet, the feathers, size of him of course, and never showing the face of 'Sir Gregoire' - http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/5/5c/Alexandre_Dainche_Ser_Robert_Strong.png/350px-Alexandre_Dainche_Ser_Robert_Strong.png . Lovely touch after the Tyrion sky prison reference in Skellige
    . :D

Think I might be ready to say now that it's topped Mario 64 as the best game I've ever played.

witcher_screenshot.png

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yes they get a lot better and without spoiling anything here they're so good that they can impact the main quest! Just letting you know!

For anyone wondering, Blood and Wine I'd ridiculous. Won't say much because the surprises are part of it, but in several respects it blows the main game out of the water in the way that the main game view other, similar games out of the water. All the little changes and improvements they made are mind blowing, story line is incredible, unlike hearts of stone its bloody huge, bigger than some actual games. And the scenery/artwork is just breathtaking, it genuinely feels like playing inside of a painting at times. Actually just had to stop and take a screenshot the other night.

Think I might be ready to say now that it's topped Mario 64 as the best game I've ever played.

And here I am literally thirty seconds away from starting B&W. You've just given my ridiculously high expectations! :D

And here I am literally thirty seconds away from starting B&W. You've just given my ridiculously high expectations! :D
    Takes a small little bit to really get going, but trust me - they'll be lived up to. :p

Word of advise: don't jump to quick conclusions on side missions - see them through rather than trying to finish them too quickly. It pays off, you'll know what I mean after a bit. ;)

I enjoyed Heart of Stone more to be honest

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just started playing this, I'm level 3. I just got to the part where you
    find Yennifer
    and the game has brought me to the second "area". Problem is I think I am underleveled for this area, the quests all seem level 5+ and a few on the noticeboards are way more than that (15, 33 etc).

I went back to the white orchard or whtaever it's called place but I don't see any quests. Do I just ride around the second area until I find some exclamation marks that are level 3/4?

awec wrote: »
    Just started playing this, I'm level 3. I just got to the part where you
    find Yennifer
    and the game has brought me to the second "area". Problem is I think I am underleveled for this area, the quests all seem level 5+ and a few on the noticeboards are way more than that (15, 33 etc).

I went back to the white orchard or whtaever it's called place but I don't see any quests. Do I just ride around the second area until I find some exclamation marks that are level 3/4?
    Anything near your level is fine. The level 15 and 33 quests are to come back to obviously unless you are absolutely, positively demented and enjoy a 2 hour long fight where you can't be hit once.

Speaking of which, i had to do the
    Eridin fight
    last night 3 times over as i left myself with only 1 Swallow going into it. Good craic.

Roll on Hearts of Stone! :)

Anyone know how the Replenishment Rune works? I put it on my best Steel Sword (Iris) at huge expense because apparently casting Igni should give me a burning sword, Quen should give me a shield etc but nothing seems to happen...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've reached a point in the game where I've to go to the Isle of Mist and the game is warning me to make a save file and that some missions will no longer be available once I get there. I take it I'm getting to game end.

I'm a level 25 and the only side and contact missions left are level 30+. Should I venture on to the isle or attempt the higher level missions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

faceman wrote: »
    I'm a level 25 and the only side and contact missions left are level 30+. Should I venture on to the isle or attempt the higher level missions?
    The hunts won't be affected and I think any quest that will be affected will get a failed notification once you go there. Save now, go there, and if any quests fail reload and finish them if you want. Pretty much all the sidequests are worth doing and some can have an impact on the main quest later if I recall correctly.

Level 30 quests are easily doable at 25 anyway, it's not an unbreakable law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

faceman wrote: »
    I've reached a point in the game where I've to go to the Isle of Mist and the game is warning me to make a save file and that some missions will no longer be available once I get there. I take it I'm getting to game end.

Finish the missions and note the "end" game is at least 10 hours.

There is a reason for finishing the side missions which will be explained to you soon enough :)

Advertisement